GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Jacked up...Left rear tire spinin, right tire isn't....!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 02:47 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacked up...Left rear tire spinin, right tire isn't....!!!!!

Got my power steering pump in so thats good...found out that i could be in for a few grand or more for repairs, not so good.

That vibrating noise i posted about earlier this week, well, its definitely not the brakes. I jacked up the end and right rear tire didn't spin at 60 mph and it kept making funny noises! The tire would try to spin but itd catch and make a clicking noise. My mechanic said it fcould be a serious suspension problem....don't know what it could be. (Slip differential??)

Anyone experience this problem before??
Old 12-12-05, 04:51 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
Got my power steering pump in so thats good...found out that i could be in for a few grand or more for repairs, not so good.

That vibrating noise i posted about earlier this week, well, its definitely not the brakes. I jacked up the end and right rear tire didn't spin at 60 mph and it kept making funny noises! The tire would try to spin but itd catch and make a clicking noise. My mechanic said it fcould be a serious suspension problem....don't know what it could be. (Slip differential??)

You need a aftermarket LSD since our cars do not have it.
Old 12-12-05, 10:22 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

could be engine trans or rear diff

btw u jacked up the rear end most of the power comming from the engine will be transmitted to 1 tire unless u have limited slip differential. otherwise if its on the ground both tires will spin
Old 12-13-05, 12:24 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by koolaidman
could be engine trans or rear diff

btw u jacked up the rear end most of the power comming from the engine will be transmitted to 1 tire unless u have limited slip differential. otherwise if its on the ground both tires will spin
Its a 95. How much for a LSD? How much to put it in
Old 12-13-05, 11:17 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Its a 95. How much for a LSD? How much to put it in
no idea for stock apps. but i know for a fact that the rx300 are 3500.
try searching
Old 12-14-05, 06:18 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock rear diff only puts power down thru one wheel. you can buy a number of different LSD's that are also a performance upgrade thru the lower gearing.. the Supra TT 3.76 comes to mind. Average cost on the LSD is about 800-1000.00. Install should be a few hours.. so whatever your mechanic charges per hour times about 3 or so.

Worries me that you said it was a clicking sound.. can you spin that tire by hand? May have a partially stuck rear brake caliper.. mine was when I bought my car. i just took it apart, lubed the pins and put it back together.
Old 12-14-05, 08:19 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Epik
the stock rear diff only puts power down thru one wheel. you can buy a number of different LSD's that are also a performance upgrade thru the lower gearing.. the Supra TT 3.76 comes to mind. Average cost on the LSD is about 800-1000.00. Install should be a few hours.. so whatever your mechanic charges per hour times about 3 or so.

Worries me that you said it was a clicking sound.. can you spin that tire by hand? May have a partially stuck rear brake caliper.. mine was when I bought my car. i just took it apart, lubed the pins and put it back together.
Not so much clicking as to the tire catching to something. I couldn't spin the tire by hand but then again i didn't try very hard. What do you think my chances are that this is not a LSD problem. The car has a little lag, and in slippery conditions, the tire doesn't catch on snow at all and the tire doesnt vier to the left or right. Hopefully.....HOPEFULLY its a brake problem. I'm going to bring it in to lexus and have em take a look at it.
Old 12-14-05, 11:32 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Dodged a bullet!! Its not the LSD, simply the breaks were lockin. The vibration is coming from tires...yokohamas..very disapointing. LEss then 2000 miles on them and uneven tread ware already. (cupping) 3 of my 4 tires are stickin which is a big part of my MPG reduction (12-15) I'm thinkin i just need to buy all new hardware...bolts n what not, regrease them and see how it goes.

Is this pretty simple to do?? Anyone know how much for the hardware
Old 12-14-05, 11:55 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration from tire

just wanted to ask.
my front driver side tire looks pretty normal but i still get that vibration when braking or accellerating @120km.
previously on my post some suggested that it could be a warped rotor . i haven't checked it but am thinking maybe i should swap the tire with the back one just to know if it is the tire that is defective.
please advise guys.
thanks
Old 12-14-05, 10:07 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldog
just wanted to ask.
my front driver side tire looks pretty normal but i still get that vibration when braking or accellerating @120km.
previously on my post some suggested that it could be a warped rotor . i haven't checked it but am thinking maybe i should swap the tire with the back one just to know if it is the tire that is defective.
please advise guys.
thanks
Acceleration and braking?? Sounds like a warped rotor.