GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

replacement antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 02:31 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement antenna

i bought a replacement antenna for my broken one but it seems like one needs a special tool to un screw the screw (or whatever it is called) because my regular technician says he doesn't have it. is there a way to replace the mast without unscrewing it or how can i unscrew it alternatively.
all advises are appreciated guys..
Old 12-13-05, 11:18 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldog
i bought a replacement antenna for my broken one but it seems like one needs a special tool to un screw the screw (or whatever it is called) because my regular technician says he doesn't have it. is there a way to replace the mast without unscrewing it or how can i unscrew it alternatively.
all advises are appreciated guys..
sst for to remove the antenna. = needle nose pliers
Old 12-14-05, 05:16 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Use a flat screwdriver and hammer and use the 4 slots to pound it open!! But be careful...take your time.
Lefty loosy righty tighty!!
Old 12-14-05, 11:50 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default dead end in replacing mast

i finally took out the star stuff by beating witha screw driver and hammer but when i hold down the am/ fm buttons and turn the car to ignition , the antenna does not shoot up as described.
doi still have to unscrew the metal rod after taking out the star cover and the rubber or i am i missing the procedure?
all advices are greatly appreciated.
thanks guys
Old 12-14-05, 09:50 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

i finally took out the star stuff by beating witha screw driver and hammer but when i hold down the am/ fm buttons and turn the car to ignition , the antenna does not shoot up as described.
doi still have to unscrew the metal rod after taking out the star cover and the rubber or i am i missing the procedure?
all advices are greatly appreciated.
thanks guys
Did you put in the new mast and antenna yet??

If you didn't, unscrew that gold piece, grab the mast with needle nose pliers and when you turn the radio on, the motor should turn on and try to extract the antenna. This is when you want to pull it out with the pliers. (Make sure you know which way the grooves are facing.) Grease up the new mast and put it in to the slot. Have someone turn off the radio and try to insert the mast even further...it should catch if you have it facing the right way and just put the metal antenna in. Screw in the gold screw and your good to go!! good luck
Old 12-18-05, 04:09 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default ok BUT

okay.
nobody said enthing about unscrewing the gold screw(or bolt) or whatever it is).
but how do i unscrew the gold stuff without grinding or messing up the teeth of the gold stuff.

thanks alot
Old 12-18-05, 07:13 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

okay.
nobody said enthing about unscrewing the gold screw(or bolt) or whatever it is).
but how do i unscrew the gold stuff without grinding or messing up the teeth of the gold stuff.

thanks alot

Look at my posting man!! The first thing i said "If you didn't, unscrew that gold piece, grab the mast with needle nose pliers...." What i did was put some scotch tape or you could even use duck tape. With the tape on the screw driver, take a old shirt or any cloth and put it over the gold piece. and important advice!! TAKE YOUR TIME and concentrate hard on it so you don't scratch your paint or even the gold piece. Also, you can put some paper tape within 2 3 inches around the gold piece so just incase you do slip, you got some protection.

BTW, if you didn't unscrew the gold piece with 4 notches on it, then what did you unscrew??
Old 12-19-05, 04:38 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default antenna replacement

i unscrewed the silver star thingy by "chiselling it out" with a screwdriver and hammer.
i am kind of confused. does the gold ring stuff come out unscrewed or not?

thanks man
Old 12-19-05, 08:49 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

i unscrewed the silver star thingy by "chiselling it out" with a screwdriver and hammer.
i am kind of confused. does the gold ring stuff come out unscrewed or not?

thanks man
Yea, it takes a while. Quite a few revolutions