turbo lag

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 10:32 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo lag

hey guys, besides regular maintenance.
what are some of the ways to reduce turbo lag in a 94 gs300 with 230,000km.
don't think my car is doing it but just wanna educate myself.
Old 12-14-05, 01:14 PM
callaghan.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what turbo are u running?
Old 12-14-05, 01:27 PM
RIPS
Driver School Candidate

too bad our cars didn't come stick... we can just flutter the gas pedal in neutral to have it spool before a run against someone lol...
Old 12-14-05, 07:25 PM
sillbeer
Driver

To bad you can't build boost in neutral without the aid of a 2 step.

-Destin
Old 12-15-05, 03:02 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Too bad they don't come in stick shift Oh mine did Yeehaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!! OK derestrict the exhaust to free up the exhaust flow (bigger bore exhaust) and fit an electronic turbo timer (blitz dsbc is accepted as a good one) and that will do two things. It will allow the air out of the exhaust faster so the turbo's will spool quicker and it will allow you to adjust the gain (speed of spoolup).
Old 12-15-05, 03:06 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't you just powerbrake your car to spool up the turbo? I thought that was one of the advantages of having an automatic tranny? The stock stall should be enough to get the turbos up to speed.....maybe not full boost but it will help none the less.
Old 12-15-05, 03:26 PM
sillbeer
Driver

Originally Posted by DBaristo
Too bad they don't come in stick shift Oh mine did Yeehaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!! OK derestrict the exhaust to free up the exhaust flow (bigger bore exhaust) and fit an electronic turbo timer (blitz dsbc is accepted as a good one) and that will do two things. It will allow the air out of the exhaust faster so the turbo's will spool quicker and it will allow you to adjust the gain (speed of spoolup).

A turbo timer has nothing to do with the turbine. It is only there to keep your car running for a pre determined amount of time to let the turbine cool down while just idling. It has nothing to do with the speed of the air traveling through the turbine.

-Destin
Old 12-16-05, 07:57 AM
callaghan.
Rookie

Originally Posted by sillbeer
A turbo timer has nothing to do with the turbine. It is only there to keep your car running for a pre determined amount of time to let the turbine cool down while just idling. It has nothing to do with the speed of the air traveling through the turbine.

-Destin

worddd haha. i think you mean an electronic boost controller like a greddy profec-b...not turbo timer...dont give people advice if you yourself dont know what you're talking about "derestrict"

i say it again...what turbo are you running???? thats a major factor...
Old 12-16-05, 11:11 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Oh me so sorry me so thick, me said timer instead of boost controller. If you are so damn clever you'll know that a blitz dsbc is a boost controller and you may even know what the ds stands for. I notice you conveniently ignore the part about being able to adjust the gain.

Just a real stab in the dark but I'm guessing he's running the stock tubbies. OK OK if they are the steel exhaust impellers instead of the ceramic ones that the JDM 2JZ-GTE engine has then a little more work than just freeing up the exhaust flow will be required but not really a huge amount. Get off your high horse **** head and read the context of a post rather than just jumping all over it.

Power braking won't really get you far into the first turbo range let alone the second before things get a bit warm in the tranny fluid which is why dedicated drag motors run high stall torque converters. So I'll repeat what I said de-restrict the exhaust by taking the cats out and putting a larger bore exhaust on hence removing the restriction in the exhaust that the stock one and the cats makes which will aid turbo spool. Fit a boost controller preferably a decent dual solenoid one which allows you to adjust the gain which again allows you to spool the turbo's up quicker.

But what would I know my supe only runs 395 bhp at the hubs on stock tubbies and has 0.8 bar (stock boost) at 2000 RPM and full 1.2 bar of boost (highest reccomended boost on stock tubbies)from 3000 RPM
Old 12-16-05, 11:46 AM
callaghan.
Rookie

"Just a real stab in the dark but I'm guessing he's running the stock tubbies."

well seeing as gs300's don't come with stock turbo's here in NORTH AMERICA, itd be useful to know if he is running a swap w/ stock turbos, or an na-t conversion and if so what turbo's. as that plays the major role in the lag...
Old 12-16-05, 01:17 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Originally Posted by callaghan.
"Just a real stab in the dark but I'm guessing he's running the stock tubbies."

well seeing as gs300's don't come with stock turbo's here in NORTH AMERICA, itd be useful to know if he is running a swap w/ stock turbos, or an na-t conversion and if so what turbo's. as that plays the major role in the lag...
Surely someone with a single NA-T conversion would have an idea on how the whole shooting match works with regards to turbo's and lag? I did not realise that the US spec car didn't have the same turbo option as the J spec aristo does as quite a lot of posts in this GS forum mention having twin turbos so I assumed that the US model came with both the GE and GTE engine like the supra does.

Again I do love how you like to pick individual parts out of a post just to have a dig at it. The points I used ie free up the exhaust airflow and use a boost controller is applicable to any turbo and not just a stock twin setup. But please do enlighten me the differences between spooling up say a turbonetics NA-T and a boost logic NA-T or a stock TT system? Is there some magical difference? OK things like wastegate size and control differ but the whole principal of turbo operation is pretty similar.

Ultimately you want to pre-spool a turbo for decent launch with an auto you'll need a high stall torque converter. Feel free to be petty and pick small holes in that if you like.
Old 12-16-05, 06:41 PM
sillbeer
Driver

It's duel solenoid boost controller. A few of my buddies in Japan ran those. They are pretty good units. Boost on my car is controlled through an M8.

-Destin
Old 12-17-05, 12:10 AM
callaghan.
Rookie

i just feel the original poster isnt quite sure what is going on...and maybe feels he has turbo's when he does not... ie: he doesnt "know if he has it or not" (about lag). also im confused by how you, dbaristo, feel there is no difference in spooling between different turbos. if he's running too big of a turbo, he'll have worse lag. not a hard concept. my friend had a t78 in his gsr-swapped hatch and it had lag like a ************ cause the turbo was way too big for the boost he was running out of it. he switched to a smaller turbo and weird, no more lag! this is really gay, fighting on the internet isnt my thing. calm down buddy, i dont care how cool you're supra is over there in the uk, u should know what u are talking about before u "assume" the car has stock turbo's here.
Old 12-17-05, 12:21 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Whats an M8? Is it cheaper than a blitz dsbc? Is it as good? I ask because my aristo (JDM TT Gs 300 mk1) doesn't have a boost controller and the blitz ones are a tad expensive and a real pita to setup. To be honest I don't really like gadgetry for the sake of it and can't see the point of having a million different settings for different occasions on stuff like that. I just want maximum performance and efficiency settings at all times, I'll control how much oomph I want with my right foot not a few buttons So if theres a decent boost controller about a bit cheaper without so much whistles and bells I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Oh and don't get me wrong chap I wasn't having a pop at you as you quite correctly and most importantly POLITELY corrected my mistake unlike others I may care to mention Tolerance and patience is sadly lacking in alot of stateside car forums so thanks for yours fella.

Bry C
Old 12-17-05, 12:29 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Dood swapping out turbo's isn't an easy fix for turbo lag. I also do appreciatte that different turbo's have different lag characteristics. The point I am trying to make (rather unsuccesfully to you) is that turbo operation no matter the size or type is pretty much the same. The original poster wants to know how to decrease his spool up time cutting his lag NO??? I'd suggest that replacing the exhaust for a freer flowing one and fitting a boost controller might be a little cheaper than replacing the entire turbo setup. Trying to score cheap points with smileys and raised eyebrows and barbed comments is sad when essentially the advice I have given is correct no matter which side of the pond you sit on.

Quick Reply: turbo lag