GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

getting really pissed off with the antenna(how to disassemble the motor)3

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 03:47 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default getting really pissed off with the antenna(how to disassemble the motor)3

so i foolowed the regular procedure for replacing my broken antenna but FINALLY realised that the motor runs but the broken piece does not shoot up when the removal procedure is followed.
when i put the new antenna in thru the broken one the motr sucks it in like it is supposed to but it is stopped at the end by the broken antenna.i guess this means i have to take out the motor and remove the broken one cos it seems the " teethed cord" is off the motor (thats why it does not shoot up when procedure is followed).
anyways can anybody give detailed instruction on disassembling a 94 gs300 antenna motor.
it will be appreciated greatly.
it is so sad cos i have been on this antenna issue for close to 2 months.
Old 12-27-05, 05:37 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't, I just remember yanking the anenna out, very quicky. I had to do it twice as the first one I replaced got eaten by a carwash not even a week after I replaced it.
Old 12-27-05, 10:09 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oldog, let's see if i remember... before that, don't you think that this is a good time to mod the antenna? I like LexAristo's antenna. I don't know what kind of antenna he has but it looks like S2000 antenna. I like it - I would like to do it IF and When my antenna breaks.

NOW. Lets see if I remember how I did it.
1. with radio off, take the fastner off from the outside. you coul use flat screw drive to insert it in the groove.
2. from inside the trunk, peel off the carpet and take the fastners off (2 or 3)
3. look inside the antenna tube and search for rubber o-ring and take it out
4. if plastic is inside the motor housing, grip the plastic using vice-grip and turn it 90 degree as someone turns the radio on. (this activates the motor and pushes the plastic out). you need to turn and pull at the same time until the whole plastic comes out of the motor housing. the reason you grip and turn the plastic 90 degree is to release the teeth-to-teeth grip of the gear. you may need to turn the radio ON and OFF until you get the plastic out.
5. if plastic is lodged inside and does not come out, you will need to open up the housing. You might want to draw or take picture of or just try to rember the layer of motor housing as you peel it to expose the motor and gear that holds the antenna plastic.
6. once the plastic is out, and you re-assemble the motor housing, put everything back... attach the motor to the car. don't screw back the last fastner/piece
7. keep the radio ON.
8. insert the plastic piece into the antenna tube as far as it will go.
9. have someone turn the radio OFF. this will activate the motor to pull the antenna in. continue to exert pressure and rotate the plastic piece for the motor gear/teeth to catch the gear/teeth on plastic piece. be careful and be prepared to align the bottom of the antenna with the tube so antenna mast will enter the tube. this can be tricky.
10. once the antenna is in, put the rummber O-ring back in and tighten the fastner.

voila!