GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

stock stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 07:34 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to replace your headunit forget about running it to your factory amp. Remember your system is as good as its weakest link.I ve been in car audio for over 12 years and my suggestion would be if you like the sound of the factory amp and speakers then this modest system would be perfect for you 1) buy your headunit of choice and budget. 2)You can replace your front speakers with a nice set of Pioneer 5.25 components , factory gs speakers are a odd size if you go with a 4in speaker you got to make a baffle to fit the speaker in the factory pods and you dont get any midbass at all only upper midrange, by doing a 5.25 you can enlarge the opening to fit the speaker and you get some midbass and better power handling. 3) Rear doors its your choice 5.25 or 4in because you barely hear them they are primarily for fill .4) You can replace your factory sub with a free-air sub either 10in or 12 in I know of only two companies that make legit free-airs (kicker comp not the comp vr and jl audio ib series which ithink are discontinued but check ebay ) the kicker comp can be used for free-air because it is designed for multi enclosures and infinite baffle use(free-air) 5) get a nice 5 channel amp from Alpine , Crossfire . Eclipse or if money is tight LANZAR . B y doing this your system will sound way better tha stock and you retain your trunk space and you dont put as much of a load on your electrical system compared to doing a full blown ground pounder you will be pleased.
Old 02-06-06, 10:47 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by Vmoney
I have some 6 1/2 speakers for the doors, would that fit? i know the factories are not that big.
I did 6.5 in mine all the way around. I had to custom make them fit. Although you could do it with a baffle that replaces the factory speaker enclosure, although I don't like this way as you lose alot of midbass.
Old 02-06-06, 10:53 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smuv gs3
If you are going to replace your headunit forget about running it to your factory amp. Remember your system is as good as its weakest link.I ve been in car audio for over 12 years and my suggestion would be if you like the sound of the factory amp and speakers then this modest system would be perfect for you 1) buy your headunit of choice and budget. 2)You can replace your front speakers with a nice set of Pioneer 5.25 components , factory gs speakers are a odd size if you go with a 4in speaker you got to make a baffle to fit the speaker in the factory pods and you dont get any midbass at all only upper midrange, by doing a 5.25 you can enlarge the opening to fit the speaker and you get some midbass and better power handling. 3) Rear doors its your choice 5.25 or 4in because you barely hear them they are primarily for fill .4) You can replace your factory sub with a free-air sub either 10in or 12 in I know of only two companies that make legit free-airs (kicker comp not the comp vr and jl audio ib series which ithink are discontinued but check ebay ) the kicker comp can be used for free-air because it is designed for multi enclosures and infinite baffle use(free-air) 5) get a nice 5 channel amp from Alpine , Crossfire . Eclipse or if money is tight LANZAR . B y doing this your system will sound way better tha stock and you retain your trunk space and you dont put as much of a load on your electrical system compared to doing a full blown ground pounder you will be pleased.
This is another option, however I disagree on the free air sub bit. I and others have added subs that were not freeair and it sounds terrific. The key is to find a sub with high sensitivity and a large volume of air compliance. I did a 12 in mine with an epicenter and a us amps amp and it sounds perfect.
Old 02-07-06, 07:59 PM
bridge4d
Driver School Candidate

I pulled the stock system in mine and replaced all the speakers with infinity 5.25's and a 12" free air sub. Forget about the stock 2 ohm amp. As mentioned earlier you'll need to mod the door speaker boxes and seal. I strongly recommend using these speaker enclosures, they sound great. Also, one of my previous posts tells you how to get the antenna lead to work. I had to leave my stock amp and plugs hooked up to get it to work right.
Old 02-08-06, 09:41 AM
YaYAReAGs3
Pole Position

how much ygazine sent pm but never herd from you please let me know...thanks
Old 03-08-06, 10:58 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default Noob question

I have 4 5.25 speakers layin around.... Infinity Kappas(55 rms) , and rockford fostgate punch (40rms) And am thinkin of putting them in this summer. All this powered by a audiobahn a4004t. (50rms x 4 at 4 ohms)

First question: Will this be enough power to run these 4 speakers and the tweeters?'

I like midrange and by the way the kappas used to sound in my old car, i dont think i'll have enough of it.

Second question: How difficult is it to put 6 1/2s in the GS
Third Question: Will i get any midrange out of these speakers?

Fourth question (noob): Can i buy speaker baffles or do i have to make em.

Thanks!

P.S. I am putting a sub in my car when i decide to do the speaker/amp install.