GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Drift Aristo! pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 09:33 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a short vid of my first run on the DriftWilkes course in NC. It was the very first run on my new Racing Logic coilovers and the newly rebuilt 2jzgte also. As you can see..very tight course and not much room to move for a big car.. but boy does it sound nice

Aristo drift vid

Old 03-17-06, 10:46 AM
Caius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was AWSOME man. I love the sound....when it's not on the rev limiter...
Old 03-17-06, 11:35 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

haha.. i noticed that watching Orido drift the Supra at Nopi it sounded exactly the same.. and he went thru tires about as fast too. (altho his Yoks were new to start with)

Some things are just necessary when drifting an auto car.. no harm done
Old 03-17-06, 03:53 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

THAT WAS SO AWESOME! On the second part, were you supposed to go around the 4 cones, like you did on the first 4?
Old 03-17-06, 04:17 PM
Caius
Pole Position

Oh, I didn't think it would hurt anything...just goofing.
Old 03-17-06, 05:23 PM
7Cain
Driver

Wow, you really have that thing uncorked don't you?! Looks like alot of fun bro, good luck nailing that barrel in the middle. YEEHHAAAAAAHHHH
Old 03-18-06, 08:27 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on getting the car all back together. Did you do a rebuild, or just replace the bearings? How is the boost coming on, is it quick enough for you? I still don't see how you can get it to drift like that...or maybe it is just my car. My car has always been soo incredibly gutless, but maybe a refreshed motor will fix that. My little 22R 4x4 pickup will beat my GS to about 25mph.

I still havn't got mine back together, I have all the parts, I have just been working on other projects.

Again, good job, the drifting looks great.
Old 03-18-06, 10:26 AM
gsWarrior
Pole Position

haha - that vids great - i couldnt imagine tossin my car around like that
Old 03-18-06, 11:26 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, were you hitting fuel cut all the time? isn't that bad for the motor?
Old 03-18-06, 11:46 PM
YaYAReAGs3
Pole Position

im surprised theese slow *** boats can drift
Old 03-19-06, 09:42 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
Congrats on getting the car all back together. Did you do a rebuild, or just replace the bearings? How is the boost coming on, is it quick enough for you? I still don't see how you can get it to drift like that...or maybe it is just my car. My car has always been soo incredibly gutless, but maybe a refreshed motor will fix that. My little 22R 4x4 pickup will beat my GS to about 25mph.

I still havn't got mine back together, I have all the parts, I have just been working on other projects.

Again, good job, the drifting looks great.
Completely rebuilt (reused pistons and rods) new rings, bearings and seals. Had about 850 miles on it at that point.

The boost is a little more laggy since i separated the manifolds into 2 (removed the bellows in between) I'm going to re-join the two manifolds and lag should decrease a good bit. I'm running about 1.00 bar right now and estimate about 360whp. Still the spool up is not that bad.. well into boost by about 3600, still on the stock stall.

Cant wait to get back to town and back into my car.. on a family trip without it the past few days.

Drifting the GS is all in the suspension. It can be done, even on NA power.. i did it for almost 2 yrs.
Old 03-20-06, 08:08 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Man, boost by 3600...would that be nice. I start building about 3800 and don't hit full until a little after 4000, but it sure comes on strong when it does, almost instant boost. You are running turbo ECU though, and I think you can build boost a little better as the N/A ECU will not let you add fuel until 3800RPM . If I could get more fuel before then, I could probably drop my spool by 200-300 RPM

Anyway, GREAT JOB!!!
Old 03-20-06, 07:23 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

thanks buddy. my ultimate goal is to get spool into the sub 3000 rpm range..not sure if it can be done, but I'm going for it. A little tuning.. mostly timing on some type of standalone, and some HKS cams should help. But that is down the road. I'm just happy to be back in the driver's seat right now.
Old 03-20-06, 08:58 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Epik
Drifting the GS is all in the suspension. It can be done, even on NA power.. i did it for almost 2 yrs.
Yes i agree... granted my drifting isn't as good as Jeff's i do tear up the parking lot every now and then but usually need new tires after that so I'm limited to doing it right before changing tires lol
Old 03-21-06, 07:41 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Epik
thanks buddy. my ultimate goal is to get spool into the sub 3000 rpm range..not sure if it can be done, but I'm going for it. A little tuning.. mostly timing on some type of standalone, and some HKS cams should help. But that is down the road. I'm just happy to be back in the driver's seat right now.

From what I have been reading, you might want to go with some mild cams and split duration. For your application, i probably wouldn't do a 272 for the intake, more like a 264. I don't know if they make anything smaller for the exhaust though. Might try just getting some adjustable cams and play with the exhaust timing a little, and make small adjustments to see what give better spool. Most people don't build thier engines for drift, so there isn't as much info out there.

Quick Reply: Drift Aristo! pics