GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Sluggish 93 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 06:10 PM
jtlexgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Sluggish 93 GS300

My 93 gs300 (150K miles) seems to lack the power of others I have driven. I've recently changed the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, air filter (K&N), and O2 sensors, but it still seems to run kinda sluggish. Acceleration is smooth and there is no hesitation. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Sluggish 93 GS300-93-gs300.jpg  

Last edited by jtlexgs300; 03-27-06 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 09:20 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

o2 sensors, replace. Clean throttle body as well
Old 03-28-06, 06:30 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you had your transmission serviced; is the fluid in good shape? It's sometimes amazing how a vehicle "perks up" after a fluid change...
Old 03-28-06, 07:22 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by jtlexgs300
My 93 gs300 (150K miles) seems to lack the power of others I have driven. I've recently changed the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, air filter (K&N), and O2 sensors, but it still seems to run kinda sluggish. Acceleration is smooth and there is no hesitation. Any suggestions?
i was going to post the same thing up but i think mine is worse because it is noticably slower, when at idle it sounds like it wants to shut off and when i accellarate it still sounds like it wants to shut off. is there a way i can load videoes on here to shot you guys?
Old 03-28-06, 07:27 AM
Tramix
Lead Lap

I thought our cars were just slow in general.
Old 03-28-06, 07:42 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by Tramix
I thought our cars were just slow in general.
but i mean mine is noticably slower .
Old 03-28-06, 08:33 AM
jtlexgs300
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I recently had the transmission serviced at the lexus dealer. The trans is fine. Someone told me to try cleaning the EGR valve and throttle body. Any recomendations on how and what to use to clean these parts?

Last edited by jtlexgs300; 03-28-06 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-01-06, 09:49 PM
GS3Admired
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtlexgs300
Yes, I recently had the transmission serviced at the lexus dealer. The trans is fine. Someone told me to try cleaning the EGR valve and throttle body. Any recomendations on how and what to use to clean these parts?
SEA FOAM helps clean your car.....made my car run smooth 1/3 in the throttle manifold (while keeping the throttle at around 2000rpm dont let the car die) 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank your going to notice alot of black smoke coming out of ur car so dont worry thats normal..... but after u do that you should change the oil after running it for about half an hour.... you can purchase this at autozone or napa
Old 04-03-06, 06:48 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Admired
SEA FOAM helps clean your car.....made my car run smooth 1/3 in the throttle manifold (while keeping the throttle at around 2000rpm dont let the car die) 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the gas tank your going to notice alot of black smoke coming out of ur car so dont worry thats normal..... but after u do that you should change the oil after running it for about half an hour.... you can purchase this at autozone or napa
after this, will the engine light go out if that is the case?
Old 04-03-06, 07:29 AM
GS3Admired
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vmoney
yeh it should..after you reset the car
Old 04-03-06, 05:58 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by Vmoney
If the engine light is one because of bad 02 sensors, nothing will fix it, except replacing them. If it's on because of EGR, it may or may not fix it, it's easier to just clean the EGR sensor. Seafoam is great at cleaning out sludge and gunk, it may take more than one treatment, it's not a miracle in a can, it is however a great cleaner.
Old 04-07-06, 07:49 PM
jtlexgs300
Driver School Candidate

I bought some Sea foam from Auto Zone. I put some in the the break booster vacuum line. I also put it in the fuel tank. I must admit, my car runs a like smoother and has better acceleration. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-10-06, 05:50 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by turbogs300
If the engine light is one because of bad 02 sensors, nothing will fix it, except replacing them. If it's on because of EGR, it may or may not fix it, it's easier to just clean the EGR sensor. Seafoam is great at cleaning out sludge and gunk, it may take more than one treatment, it's not a miracle in a can, it is however a great cleaner.
its true! i got a full tune up on my car and they told me i have bad o2 sensors and need a new EGR valve. i replaced everything exept the last two and after 150 miles, the check engine light came back on.
Old 04-12-06, 08:35 PM
tommy93gs
Driver School Candidate

i have a simular problem with my 93 gs. i just bought the car and it was sitting for a while. i will start it and it with run fine for a few seconds the bog out and sputter like its backfiring then the car will die. i dunno what it is. the previous owner said the car ran good for him. i thought maybe it was from it sitting. if i hold my foot on the gas halfway it sputters. i have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. i dont want to try this too often because i dont want to ruin anything. does anyone know what could be causing this? im new to lexus. im 25 now and have owned honda's since i was 14 so any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!!
Old 04-13-06, 05:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy93gs
i have a simular problem with my 93 gs. i just bought the car and it was sitting for a while. i will start it and it with run fine for a few seconds the bog out and sputter like its backfiring then the car will die. i dunno what it is. the previous owner said the car ran good for him. i thought maybe it was from it sitting. if i hold my foot on the gas halfway it sputters. i have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. i dont want to try this too often because i dont want to ruin anything. does anyone know what could be causing this? im new to lexus. im 25 now and have owned honda's since i was 14 so any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks!!
Please start a fresh posting with this information, rather than tacking it on the end of this one....you may get a better response.

Additionally, what is your mileage? Is the "check engine lamp" on? How long has it been sitting? Without any further information, it's hard to point to the problem..

Quick Reply: Sluggish 93 GS300