GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need Advice on 1stGen CD Player...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-06, 06:29 PM
regsatxgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on 1stGen CD Player...HELP!

Guys,
Had my fairly pristine 93 GS 121k miles, for about 3 weeks now and it's a great ride. The car didn't have a CD cartridge when I bought and the previous (and only other) owner was a "talk Radio" listener and said he hadn't seen the cartridge in years.
Today I bought a new 12 disk cartridge magazine, loaded several CDs (not burned CD-R type) and it went through its load procedure and then nothing. After a few minutes, it showed the disk #, and then I got "Err" display. It would let me change disks, but none would play??
Does this mean the player is bad? What options do I have. I've used the search, but no conclusive answers.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-06, 06:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Probably an obvious 'yes', but did you try flipping the CDs over to play them the other way (label up/down from how you started)?
Old 03-28-06, 07:10 PM
regsatxgs
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Dave...Tried that...no luck but...

Is it a better option to get an aftermarket player or replace w/OEM?

Reg
Old 03-28-06, 07:21 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Laser is dirty, out of alignment or shot. No aftermarket player will work except an FM modulated one!
Old 03-28-06, 08:05 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock cd player

hi don't know if this of any help but what the hell. my cd changer did the same when i first got my car the estimate for a used one was alright but finding one was hell.maybe cause i am in canada.
well,
i took out the stock cd player and cleaned it(or you could say serviced it),etc and wholla , my stock 12 disc changer was blasting and still is.
Old 03-28-06, 08:18 PM
regsatxgs
Driver School Candidate

Default So how can I remove and clean it?

Can someone tell me how to do this. Will a CD cleaner disk be any good, I've seen some specifically for car CD players. Thanks for the help on this...it's become an obsession.
Old 03-28-06, 08:52 PM
regsatxgs
Driver School Candidate

Default IS a lens cleaner worth a try??

What have a got to lose. Anyone ever used one?
Old 03-28-06, 08:59 PM
Lexus Dawg
Driver

I use a CD cleaning disc once a month, not the liquid type but the one made by 3M. It has 3 small brushes on it and you "play" it like a normal CD on the cleaning track and it cleans the lens eye. Works great for me. If all of your installed CD's are showing "err" they were probably all inserted incorrectly. The labels should be facing up for proper play.
Old 03-29-06, 06:03 AM
Caius
Pole Position

ok, so what does it mean if you put in the cartridge with all the cd's facing up and as soon as you push the CD button, it immediately says ERR, also it won't eject the cartridge unless you stick something in underneath and hit the eject mechanism....lol. I'm going to try to take mine out and clean it and such
Old 03-29-06, 01:03 PM
regsatxgs
Driver School Candidate

Default My Cd Player Is Working!!! Yes!!

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. I took a chance this morning and went to Best Buy and bought a Maxell 340 CD Lens Cleaner. I put it in tray #1. At first, it too gave the Err message. I kept turning it on and off and after maybe 10 tries, the cleaner CD began to play! I ran the cleaning track twice and then tried to load the next CD...damn Err again. Went back to cleaner CD and ran the cleaning track twice for two minutes, until the annoying high pitched tone stopped. I again tried to load a music CD and IT PLAYED.
It's been playing most of the day...I keep going out to check it. Hopefully it's fixed. I was dreading buying a new head unit since I love the OEM stereo and wanted to keep car original.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 03-29-06, 04:50 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by regsatxgs
Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. I took a chance this morning and went to Best Buy and bought a Maxell 340 CD Lens Cleaner. I put it in tray #1. At first, it too gave the Err message. I kept turning it on and off and after maybe 10 tries, the cleaner CD began to play! I ran the cleaning track twice and then tried to load the next CD...damn Err again. Went back to cleaner CD and ran the cleaning track twice for two minutes, until the annoying high pitched tone stopped. I again tried to load a music CD and IT PLAYED.
It's been playing most of the day...I keep going out to check it. Hopefully it's fixed. I was dreading buying a new head unit since I love the OEM stereo and wanted to keep car original.

Awesome!! You got lucky , I'd take it apart and clean it and lube it , if you want it to keep working.
Old 03-29-06, 06:51 PM
regsatxgs
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey TurboGS...How do you do that?

I'd love to follow up and clean and lube the CD player...tell me how you did it
Old 03-31-06, 09:59 AM
GS3Admired
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cd players

if u want factory cd players check on ebay......they have a lot the last time i checked
Old 04-01-06, 10:40 AM
7Cain
Driver

Originally Posted by regsatxgs

Congratulations, I went through the same thing with mine. Still have some issues with larger bumps but it has only gotten better. Be careful taking it apart, you do not want to knock of the alignment, just don't be forceful and take your time.
Old 04-03-06, 06:45 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Default I have one laying around.

ill sell it to you. I dont know if it matters but, its a Pioneer, Not Nakimichi. i have some other things also.