GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Removing the radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 11:13 AM
FrostyGS30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the radio

I was hoping someone could tell me the best way to remove the head unit of my radio from my 1995 gs300? Also do you know if you can hook up an Ipod to were the cd player hooks up to?
thanks for you help
Old 03-29-06, 11:27 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

There is no best way. Theres only one way. You have to remove the ashtray, just pull it straight out. You will see 2 or 3 screws, unscrew them. Next remove A/C vents. Use a flathead screwdriver to pop it out, just be careful. After its out, you will see 2 or 3 more screws, unscrew them and be prepared to catch the radio incase it falls.

There is no way to hook up the ipod. You will have to cut and splice.

If you need anymore help, just search for stereo install and you will find my thread on how to do it. Good luck.

Last edited by Abear; 03-29-06 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-29-06, 01:48 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

I would listen to Abear! I followed his whole write up stereo install and it got me through the process PERFECT! (thanks abear)
Old 03-29-06, 04:35 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gatewaycraig
I would listen to Abear! I followed his whole write up stereo install and it got me through the process PERFECT! (thanks abear)
Thats what Im here for, haha. I wrote it for all you guys that didnt even know where to start..just like me. I had some help from TurboGS300, so I cant take all the credit myself, without him, I wouldnt have done it myself.
I see your SIG says audio in the works...what you got planned?
Old 03-30-06, 02:10 PM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Abear
Thats what Im here for, haha. I wrote it for all you guys that didnt even know where to start..just like me. I had some help from TurboGS300, so I cant take all the credit myself, without him, I wouldnt have done it myself.
I see your SIG says audio in the works...what you got planned?

WEll thanks TurboGS300 too! lol.
Abear: I've been planning things for a while. I'm starting small- upgraded to diamond component set in the front, infinitys in the rear doors, and a Boston 12" sub in a 2cf. ported box. Amp wise, I'm just running a cheezy Xplod directly for the sub. NO amp yet for the door speakers. It hits unbelievably hard.
Thanks again,
-Craig
Old 03-30-06, 03:27 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gatewaycraig
WEll thanks TurboGS300 too! lol.
Abear: I've been planning things for a while. I'm starting small- upgraded to diamond component set in the front, infinitys in the rear doors, and a Boston 12" sub in a 2cf. ported box. Amp wise, I'm just running a cheezy Xplod directly for the sub. NO amp yet for the door speakers. It hits unbelievably hard.
Thanks again,
-Craig
Sounds like a plan man. I need to replace my rears. I plan on putting some 6.5 midbass speakers back there. When I do that, I plan on putting some 5.25 midbass speakers in the front. Then I will add another amp to push the 4 speakers. Then I will be totally done.
Old 03-30-06, 07:46 PM
7Cain
Driver

There is no way to hook up the ipod. You will have to cut and splice.
Good luck.
Hey Abear, have you done this cut and splice thing?
Old 03-30-06, 09:37 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7Cain
Hey Abear, have you done this cut and splice thing?
Nah, I have a deck that plays MP3 CDs/DVDs. My phone has an MP3 player on it, so I have no need for a Ipod or other mp3 player. It wouldnt be hard to do, you just need to find out which wires the CD player in the trunk is using and then splice an RCA cable into them, then hook up the Ipod. Dont kill me if it doesnt work, its just a suggestion, and something I would THINK would work, Im not totally sure. And if you do splice the wires, make sure you disconnect the CD player, otherwise you are going to have some major problems.

You will need to be careful in which wires you use, are one of the wires has to be a power wire for the CD player, so Im sure if you splice into it, and then try the Ipod, something is bound to break. Sorry I dont have a wire diagram for it, otherwise I would just tell you which is which...sorry. Maybe someone on here has a wiring diagram, or knows where to get one.
Old 03-31-06, 12:35 AM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

Nah, I have a deck that plays MP3 CDs/DVDs. My phone has an MP3 player on it, so I have no need for a Ipod or other mp3 player. It wouldnt be hard to do, you just need to find out which wires the CD player in the trunk is using and then splice an RCA cable into them, then hook up the Ipod. Dont kill me if it doesnt work, its just a suggestion, and something I would THINK would work, Im not totally sure. And if you do splice the wires, make sure you disconnect the CD player, otherwise you are going to have some major problems.

You will need to be careful in which wires you use, are one of the wires has to be a power wire for the CD player, so Im sure if you splice into it, and then try the Ipod, something is bound to break. Sorry I dont have a wire diagram for it, otherwise I would just tell you which is which...sorry. Maybe someone on here has a wiring diagram, or knows where to get one.
It won't work without the changer, the changer and deck have to communicate with each other through a bus code or no workie
Old 03-31-06, 02:15 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbogs300
It won't work without the changer, the changer and deck have to communicate with each other through a bus code or no workie
And there you have. Well, I guess it would have worked if it didnt need the bus code?
Old 03-31-06, 02:57 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Cool

And there you have. Well, I guess it would have worked if it didnt need the bus code?
Unfortunately, your only options are tape or fm modulated.
Old 04-01-06, 10:18 AM
7Cain
Driver

Yeah, tape deck is no workie either. I used a tape cleaner over and over but I think the heads are gone, I can hear the music but it is overpowered by a high frequency squeel (not ground related even though that happens every now and again also). The changer sucks a$$ even though I've cleaned it a hundred times, it works half the time now instead of not at all. But any significant bump is able to interupt my listening pleasure. After I build my groundwire kit the whole system is getting ripped out and replaced, wiring and all. I am an audiophile, and an experienced sound technician so I don't gamble with testing stuff I am not sure of. Thanks for the info on the buss communication, I knew that would be a problem because you can't even select the cd changer if you don't have the cartridge inserted, that was my first heads up when I got the car. I'll just have to wait Performance is most important right now, I just got back on my bike and forgot what real performance feels like and now the gs feels real, REAL slow.
Old 04-03-06, 06:39 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Default Thanks Abear!!!!!!!!!!

i was a stock Cd man myself until Abear and turbogs300 helped me out with my install, it was really annoying and i cant get my antenna to work but my uncle said i dont need it to go up cause the headunit still picks up string signals.
Old 04-03-06, 09:09 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, sorry I didnt include how to make the antenna work in the car. Theres a way to do it, you just have to know which wires are which. I am using a hidden antenna, so I dont even use my stock one. When I finally get a body kit and a paint job, I plan on shaving the antenna.