GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Ever have one of those days????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 02:31 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ever have one of those days????

I don't drive my GS alot, because I have another vehicle that gets much better mileage and with the cost of premium gas rising........etc. So, I decided I needed to drive it today, to keep the battery charged and to use up some of the fuel, so it doesn't just sit in the tank getting old. I cruise over to the gas station to wash the car, I keep a cover on it, however it still gets dirty from the dust. I top it off with some fresh gas and add the car wash to my ticket. I cruise up to the automated car wash kiosk, put the drivers window down and wait while the guy in the wash bay finishes up his wash. He finishes shortly and pulls out of the bay. I enter my code into the keypad for the wash and the wash starts for me. I hit the window up switch and............nothing happens!! Well, it's obvious to me the $*&&&* plastic, POS, regulator has broken. So I'm a kewl guy and this is not that big a deal. I just won't be washing my GS today. I go back into the gas station and they refund my money for the wash. Ok, so all is not a total loss. I can drive around with the drivers window down, this is AZ baby, it's warm outside and I wasn't going to be deterred that easily from my mission to drive the car today. So I cruise downtown to pick up an item , get the item and head home on the freeway. I'm cruising home with the drivers window down and all the windows cracked open about 3 inches. I'm close to home and the freeway is pretty noisy, so I put up all the remaining working windows and i'll be damned if when I roll up the passenger side front window and hear this thump. I look over and the window is about an inch from the top and it isn't moving. Alright that's 2 window regulator the same day and within an hour or two of each other. Can you say that was planned by the designer to fail at that point in time. Previously I'd replaced one of the rear regulators, so it's not breaking anytime soon. So, I'm thinking to myself, ok, let's see if we can get the remaining rear one to break. It sounds like it's about ready to break everytime I put it up or down. No such luck today!!!
So I get home and start pricing regulators. I check toyotaandlexusparts.com first as they usually have pretty good prices, not today, they want $470 for EACH regulator, must include the motor as well. NO THANKS! I check EBay and luck out, someones selling a brand new LH FRONT regulator for $120, it's mine, gotta love "buy it now"! I then call carson toyota for a price on the right side and ask the seller on EBAY how much for the right side. The seller says $127 and carson says $120 for each side, kewl!! Should have bought both from carson, Oh well!!
So anyone else have as good a day as me?

Last edited by turbogs300; 03-31-06 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 01:24 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbogs300
I don't drive my GS alot, because I have another vehicle that gets much better mileage and with the cost of premium gas rising........etc. So, I decided I needed to drive it today, to keep the battery charged and to use up some of the fuel, so it doesn't just sit in the tank getting old. I cruise over to the gas station to wash the car, I keep a cover on it, however it still gets dirty from the dust. I top it off with some fresh gas and add the car wash to my ticket. I cruise up to the automated car wash kiosk, put the drivers window down and wait while the guy in the wash bay finishes up his wash. He finishes shortly and pulls out of the bay. I enter my code into the keypad for the wash and the wash starts for me. I hit the window up switch and............nothing happens!! Well, it's obvious to me the $*&&&* plastic, POS, regulator has broken. So I'm a kewl guy and this is not that big a deal. I just won't be washing my GS today. I go back into the gas station and they refund my money for the wash. Ok, so all is not a total loss. I can drive around with the drivers window down, this is AZ baby, it's warm outside and I wasn't going to be deterred that easily from my mission to drive the car today. So I cruise downtown to pick up an item , get the item and head home on the freeway. I'm cruising home with the drivers window down and all the windows cracked open about 3 inches. I'm close to home and the freeway is pretty noisy, so I put up all the remaining working windows and i'll be damned if when I roll up the passenger side front window and hear this thump. I look over and the window is about an inch from the top and it isn't moving. Alright that's 2 window regulator the same day and within an hour or two of each other. Can you say that was planned by the designer to fail at that point in time. Previously I'd replaced one of the rear regulators, so it's not breaking anytime soon. So, I'm thinking to myself, ok, let's see if we can get the remaining rear one to break. It sounds like it's about ready to break everytime I put it up or down. No such luck today!!!
So I get home and start pricing regulators. I check toyotaandlexusparts.com first as they usually have pretty good prices, not today, they want $470 for EACH regulator, must include the motor as well. NO THANKS! I check EBay and luck out, someones selling a brand new LH FRONT regulator for $120, it's mine, gotta love "buy it now"! I then call carson toyota for a price on the right side and ask the seller on EBAY how much for the right side. The seller says $127 and carson says $120 for each side, kewl!! Should have bought both from carson, Oh well!!
So anyone else have as good a day as me?
HAHAHAHA, not to laugh at your misfortune as this will probably happen to me one day, but you gotta admit, its pretty funny. Sorry you had to spend some money though. My day wasnt quite as bad as yours, but I did make a stupid mistake if you want to hear about it, lol. I was chillin with my friends who I havent hung out with since one of them wrecked his S2K. Anyway, they hadnt heard my new exhaust. So I had the silencers in, and when we got back to my boys house, I decided to take them off. No luck, they were pretty tight in there, I guess the heat and the humidity had something to do with that. Anyway, I get home, and decide to go ahead and take them out because I finally had my trusty "orange handled pliers." So I get the first one out, and what do I do? Take a guess, grab it with my hand....HAHAHAHAHAHAH, yeah, Im not the fastest one, but I tell ya, it doesnt take me long to realize somethings hot.
Old 04-03-06, 06:35 AM
Vmoney
Driver

well, my front left window stops from time to time, maybe that is why. 120 a pop? well, better get ready.
Old 04-03-06, 03:45 PM
7Cain
Driver

My back passenger window does not roll down more than an inch or so, my hood shocks are out and the trunk shocks aren't far behind. I just noticed a ripped boot in the steering assembly and it feels like the power steering is starting to go out. Of course the valve cover gasket is leaking and I don't know when the timing belt, or if the timing belt has ever been changed, I'm sure the valves need to be adjusted as well. Brakes are gone, so is the suspension, but other than that the interior is fine except for, the deteriorated dash accents, gauge lighting, horribly stained carpet from god knows what...................oooooooohhhhhmmm..................there, I had to find my center again sorry about that. Next week I should receive my new suspension components, all four brake rotors (crossdrilled and slotted) and some GreenStuff pads while I have the car down I'm gonna powdercoat the stock wheels black. I already bought the electric cooling fan, but I'll wait till I do the intake and exhaust for that,.............maybe the next week. I'll take lots of pictures I promise.
Old 04-03-06, 04:40 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 7Cain
My back passenger window does not roll down more than an inch or so, my hood shocks are out and the trunk shocks aren't far behind. I just noticed a ripped boot in the steering assembly and it feels like the power steering is starting to go out. Of course the valve cover gasket is leaking and I don't know when the timing belt, or if the timing belt has ever been changed, I'm sure the valves need to be adjusted as well. Brakes are gone, so is the suspension, but other than that the interior is fine except for, the deteriorated dash accents, gauge lighting, horribly stained carpet from god knows what...................oooooooohhhhhmmm..................there, I had to find my center again sorry about that. Next week I should receive my new suspension components, all four brake rotors (crossdrilled and slotted) and some GreenStuff pads while I have the car down I'm gonna powdercoat the stock wheels black. I already bought the electric cooling fan, but I'll wait till I do the intake and exhaust for that,.............maybe the next week. I'll take lots of pictures I promise.
What year, miles, and how much did you pay for this car??
Old 04-04-06, 07:59 AM
Caius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7Cain

Hey man, if you can bring it by sometime I can see about getting the stains out of your carpet. No guaranties but I'll give it a shot....I've done some detailing work and gotten some pretty impressive stains out.