GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

debating whether i should give up on fixing this car

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-06, 07:38 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default debating whether i should give up on fixing this car

i love this car, but guys parts are just dying on it. last month my harmonic balance died and almost broke my engine to crap. the month before my radiator hose leaked my coolant out. i've had my other share of things. but this one now is the worst. my rear main seal is leaking a good amount of tranny fluid along with my valve cover gasket. this guy who'll do it cheap for me is sayin at least 500. i mean what should i do? what other good car can i get for about the price of a 93 GS? oh and i need my brakes done and a/c compressor done this summer.
Old 04-01-06, 09:31 PM
GS3Admired
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default damn

Originally Posted by kgh31386
i love this car, but guys parts are just dying on it. last month my harmonic balance died and almost broke my engine to crap. the month before my radiator hose leaked my coolant out. i've had my other share of things. but this one now is the worst. my rear main seal is leaking a good amount of tranny fluid along with my valve cover gasket. this guy who'll do it cheap for me is sayin at least 500. i mean what should i do? what other good car can i get for about the price of a 93 GS? oh and i need my brakes done and a/c compressor done this summer.
i think you should keep it if you say you love it....i've had problems with my 93 gs also but i love it soo much that i can't give up on it..but if u get everything up to par then this car will love you back
Old 04-01-06, 09:50 PM
turbogs300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I don't think you'll find any car that is 13 years old and doesn't need some work, or a complete rebuild. Depending of course on the maintenace done or lack of. Unless you buy a new car or one that is only a few years old and depending on the car you'll be spending money on fixing it as well. If you don't spend the money or do the maintenance now, you'll be spending it later and alot more.
Old 04-03-06, 06:51 AM
Vmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by turbogs300
I don't think you'll find any car that is 13 years old and doesn't need some work, or a complete rebuild. Depending of course on the maintenace done or lack of. Unless you buy a new car or one that is only a few years old and depending on the car you'll be spending money on fixing it as well. If you don't spend the money or do the maintenance now, you'll be spending it later and alot more.
AMEN to that, the last ownrer of my car seemed like ha hated it, well, i bought the car, it all backfired on me!!!!!
Old 04-03-06, 08:48 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbogs300
This is true. Plus, if you say you love the car, dont sell it. I went through the same phase with mine. I was about to give up, due to certain things...brakes/AC/Hole in the Exhaust/Lights not working/Not starting when the battery was charged. Then I remembered all the fun Ive had in this car, trips with friends, fishing, getting pulled over for swerving because the song told me to..I didnt get a ticket for that BTW, lol, the cop just wanted to make sure I wasnt drunk, which I wasnt. I fixed my car, and now I am working on making it fast

Seriously though, this car is timeless, awesome body style, great engine, and its a Toyota, so you know they will be around for a WHILE, unlike some other car brands that I will let remain nameless. Stay with the 1st gen, I dont see too many on the roads, and I would hate to lose another one.
Old 04-03-06, 03:20 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Default Dont give up

Don't give up!!! I had them same thoughts as you do right now, i've put in 800-900 dollars in repairs the first 4 months and i'm a poor @$$ college student. And i put up with 14 15mpg for that time (Now i get 20-22 if i'm nice to her) I had to replace all 4 calipers, rotors, and pads, intake gasket, oring, valve cover gasket, cap rotor, tranny flush, 6 new iridium plugs, 4 terribly messed up window trims, rust in quite a few places, cd changer not playing burned cds 3/4 of the time.

We all have problems in cars, some more than others but that doesn't mean you should give up your car. You also gotta understand your car is 13 years old. Me personally....couldn't give up this car for anything. Being 6'5 n all, i got all the legroom i could possibly ever need. Car is a babe magnet, and i get compliments on mine on the daily.

Think about it this way, if your a flashy type person, when someone asks you what kinda car you drive and you say lexus, a good chuck of the people will say either WOW, REALLY? Fix the car and enjoy it because your next car may not be as nice n big and luxurious and you will then regret it......GS300