GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How do you race your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 10:54 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you race your GS?

This may sound like a stupid question but here it is...
How do you get the most out of your acceleration: Lets say i'm at a stop light, should i be holding the brake pedal and reving it to 2500 rpms, or should i not?? Should i bring the shifter down to 1st gear?? What RPMs are good and Maximum to shift at??
Old 04-05-06, 11:49 AM
YaYAReAGs3
Pole Position

its a lexus not a sports car..they arnt ment to be driven like that
Old 04-05-06, 12:00 PM
Lvangundy

Explain the beefed up suspension, transmission and 300HP on a 430...

They can be driven however the driver wishes within logical limitation.
Old 04-05-06, 12:25 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven my brother's '94 GS3 on enough to know that it is not fast... but with a proper launch & shifting technique you can make it 'less slow.'

I run the car into the torque converter at about 2400 rpm. Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas... You won't want to do this for more than a few seconds because it creates quite a bit of heat in the transmission fluid.

When the light goes green, come off the brake quickly and floor the gas. I have found manually shifting the car at about 6000 rpm will have enough lag that the car will shift right at redline. If you shift at 6300 or 6400 rpm, there will be a delay, and you'll confirm that the engine does indeed have a rev-limiter at about 6600 rpm.

Shift from 2-3 at 6000 rpm again. If you're going to stay in it, be sure the Overdrive is off.

I have found this technique makes the car about 1 second quicker 0-60 than if you just boot the accelerator and let the transmission shift itself.

Be sure to stay safe out there!
Old 04-05-06, 12:44 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

That helps....I got a big match up commin this summer

My cocky friend (who shouldn't be cocky) few months ago got a 04 Alero with 0 miles so brand new....White, 2 door, with sporty suspension, V6, he thinks its a sports racing machine. We once raced when we both had 2 people excluding me and him in our cars and he beat me although at that time my brakes were clipping. His car's 0-60 time is supposed to be 8 flat and my gs is 8.3-8.6.

I have a OEM K&N Filter and thats about it.....I NEED TO BEAT HIM!!!!!!!!

But the way i look at it is he drives a girls car with a sports suspension but i drive an old super luxury machine
Old 04-05-06, 03:53 PM
i7kazamay
Rookie

if u do it in the streets u can all ways put pressure on him by being realy close to him on the side smoke his *** im not ever sure what n alero is it a hyundai?
Old 04-06-06, 03:09 PM
Vmoney
Driver

No, oldsmobile, a rebadged old person version of a Pontiac Grand am Gt i think that stock, that car puts out 175hp at the crank. 4spd auto, could be five since its new. but the car is mostly plastic so he will beat you if you dont do anything else for power gains.
Old 04-06-06, 03:19 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
That helps....I got a big match up commin this summer

My cocky friend (who shouldn't be cocky) few months ago got a 04 Alero with 0 miles so brand new....White, 2 door, with sporty suspension, V6, he thinks its a sports racing machine. We once raced when we both had 2 people excluding me and him in our cars and he beat me although at that time my brakes were clipping. His car's 0-60 time is supposed to be 8 flat and my gs is 8.3-8.6.

I have a OEM K&N Filter and thats about it.....I NEED TO BEAT HIM!!!!!!!!

But the way i look at it is he drives a girls car with a sports suspension but i drive an old super luxury machine
Dont race him from a stop, its most likely you will lose. Take him from a 40 roll. Leave the car and drive and you will win. This car doesnt have much low-end because first of all its a 2JZ and as everyone knows, they just dont have low-end. Second, its a 3700 pound car. I took out my friends tahoe, my dads truck, and my friends VR6 Jetta, he had intake and exhaust and all I had was my trusty K&N filter. I actually beat the jetta from a stop, but I took him from a roll too.
Old 04-06-06, 03:19 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Take it to the track.
Old 04-06-06, 05:01 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I barely beat my friend cynthia in her stock auto rsx. I gave her a 2 car lead and it was from a stop. I barely beat her by half car. Then again, shes on stock rims and the car is rated at 160 hp. Where as our cars are 220, I have heavy rims, and I should not have given the 2 car head start.
Old 04-06-06, 05:08 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAristo
I barely beat my friend cynthia in her stock auto rsx. I gave her a 2 car lead and it was from a stop. I barely beat her by half car. Then again, shes on stock rims and the car is rated at 160 hp. Where as our cars are 220, I have heavy rims, and I should not have given the 2 car head start.
On that one though, you gotta rememeber the weight/horsepower ratio. Those RSXs weight nothing compared to our car. Plus you have heavy rims, body kit, and a system, with you in the car your probably pushing close to 4000 man. I know with me in my car Im close to 3900, I need to lose some weight.
Old 04-07-06, 03:01 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I smoke aleros all day man. Yo can do it no problem. Don't do any manual shifting it will just slow you down. If you not going to go past 80 mph you can leave it in 2nd gear if you want but its not really necessary, if you keep it in 2nd and you have to slow down a bit for any reason having it in 2nd will just keep your revs up. The whole brake torquing at the light "holding brakes" doesn't really do anything either. You will kill the alero from a roll so if you can try to get him to race you from a roll. Sure the lexus isn't fast but its faster than the pos cars out there, grand prix, boneville, civic, alero, grand marquis, jeep cherokee etc.
Old 04-11-06, 07:37 AM
Lexus Dawg
Driver

Why not just go three 3 minute rounds in the ring instead of the possibility of ****ing up your car or getting a ticket from the MAN?
Old 04-11-06, 11:20 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gompka
I smoke aleros all day man. Yo can do it no problem. Don't do any manual shifting it will just slow you down. If you not going to go past 80 mph you can leave it in 2nd gear if you want but its not really necessary, if you keep it in 2nd and you have to slow down a bit for any reason having it in 2nd will just keep your revs up. The whole brake torquing at the light "holding brakes" doesn't really do anything either. You will kill the alero from a roll so if you can try to get him to race you from a roll. Sure the lexus isn't fast but its faster than the pos cars out there, grand prix, boneville, civic, alero, grand marquis, jeep cherokee etc.
I wish it was like that haha. His car weighs 3000lbs with 170hp and 200lb torque....I'm gonna race him again when he comes home from college for a 30 mph roll. Even if i do loose, my car is 10 years older than his is and have more features than his car and his parents cars combined so its cool....he may win the battle, but i surely will win the war!!
Old 04-11-06, 01:55 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
I wish it was like that haha. His car weighs 3000lbs with 170hp and 200lb torque....I'm gonna race him again when he comes home from college for a 30 mph roll. Even if i do loose, my car is 10 years older than his is and have more features than his car and his parents cars combined so its cool....he may win the battle, but i surely will win the war!!
you can't lose from a 30 roll man... if you do you might wanna take a look at your gs lol. Really i raced a couple of these and they are slow. Have fun and pick a safe road or a "closed circuit course" lol

Quick Reply: How do you race your GS?