GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1st Gen GS turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 09:07 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Gen GS turbo questions

I've been findling with the idea of swapping to either a JDM jzs147 2jz or to a jzx100 1jz but for some reason I keep on thinking the same thing: would it be better to drop the compresion on my stock engine to 8.5:1 and piece a turbo myself?
Old 04-25-06, 09:12 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidzik007
I've been findling with the idea of swapping to either a JDM jzs147 2jz or to a jzx100 1jz but for some reason I keep on thinking the same thing: would it be better to drop the compresion on my stock engine to 8.5:1 and piece a turbo myself?
Why drop the compression? If you want more power and want power that a stock 2JZGTE or 1JZGTE can give you, all you need is to piece a kit together and run 8psi, depending on the turbo you will make more power than a 2JZGTE. If you get a 57trim turbo you will probably put about 280 at the wheels and with a 61trim turbo you will probably put about 300 at the wheels or more. If you decide later that 280-300whp isnt enough, you can always swap in a 2.5mm headgasket and up the boost to 15psi and push about 400whp. You just need to be careful, the tranny could blow at over 350-400.
Old 04-26-06, 12:35 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

wow, even at 9.5:1 will the internals withstand 15psi? WOW! since I am planning to swap to manual and since I have to take the engine out anyways, I thought why not drop the compression... also, I am planing north of 300 at the wheels (aiming 330~80); i was planning on using a garrett gt4082 with supra fuel pump and some 700 injectors, AEM for 2JZGTE and some other stuff like cams and what not... but now that you said so, you know anyone putting down 300+ on a turboed n/a 2jz? I would like to know more info on the setup and internals. Thanx!!!
Old 04-26-06, 02:47 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

If your not part of Supraforums.com and you have all these questions, you should join it. There is plenty of info over there.
The engine may blow up at 9.5:1 and 15psi, I really dont know, I only know pushing it past 10psi on stock compression(10:1) will most likely kill the engine, so with that said, I bet at 9.5 you could safely do 10-12psi, but I think 15psi is pushing it. I dont personally know anyone putting down 300, but on SF there are plenty of people putting down 300+ with a manual. You will def. need to upgrade your fuel pump, but if your only looking for 330-380whp you dont NEED to upgrade the injectors. Our stock 330's will provide plenty of fuel. The GT4082 will be great for spooling, but I dont know if you will get the numbers your looking for at 8psi. Now if you want to drop in a new headgasket, then go ahead. The interals have been proven to withstand 700rwhp by DaveH. Theres alot of stuff you need to learn coming into this world. Just go to supraforums.com and search, trust me, that is what I did, and Im still learning.
Old 04-26-06, 05:33 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

there are a lot of people pushing past 300 rwhp with a 2jzge. Suprrunner on here is one of them. Using a GT67 turbo making like 380 i believe. Honestly though, with the price that some poeple on here are selling aristo 2jzgtes for.. i would just jump on that. gets rid of the maf, super strong gte to start with.. just big single that and with your tranny swap its a done deal.

Why would you have to pull the motor to swap the tranny?

I have non stock twins, barely pushhing them compare to what they are capable of, and put down 333rwhp and 304tq. that is thru the jdm slushbox....guessing about 25% loos thru the tranny. with the manual tranny it would be making much closer to 400rwhp and that again.. is nothing for the motor.

main worries you have on the GS with turbo on the GE motor are the distributor, and the ABS which are in close proximity to each other, and can cause fitment problems when you use use cheap stuff... ahem..ebay manifolds and turbo kits.. now the Dave H stuff is great.. he is an NA-T pioneer on SF.

Tuning the GE motor/ecu properly for making power can be a sticking point too. As opposed to the GTE where you just turn up the boost and the ecu runs the show the right way..LOL

Not trying to start a competition GE/GTE thread.. just laying out the pros and cons.
Old 04-27-06, 07:07 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Originally Posted by Epik
there are a lot of people pushing past 300 rwhp with a 2jzge. Suprrunner on here is one of them. Using a GT67 turbo making like 380 i believe. Honestly though, with the price that some poeple on here are selling aristo 2jzgtes for.. i would just jump on that. gets rid of the maf, super strong gte to start with.. just big single that and with your tranny swap its a done deal.

Why would you have to pull the motor to swap the tranny?

I have non stock twins, barely pushhing them compare to what they are capable of, and put down 333rwhp and 304tq. that is thru the jdm slushbox....guessing about 25% loos thru the tranny. with the manual tranny it would be making much closer to 400rwhp and that again.. is nothing for the motor.

main worries you have on the GS with turbo on the GE motor are the distributor, and the ABS which are in close proximity to each other, and can cause fitment problems when you use use cheap stuff... ahem..ebay manifolds and turbo kits.. now the Dave H stuff is great.. he is an NA-T pioneer on SF.

Tuning the GE motor/ecu properly for making power can be a sticking point too. As opposed to the GTE where you just turn up the boost and the ecu runs the show the right way..LOL

Not trying to start a competition GE/GTE thread.. just laying out the pros and cons.
after putting thought to this, it makes perfect sense just to get the JDM TT engine and just go single T... oi, epik, how does the car feel at the track with your numbers? I was thinking 400 because it's a heavy car, but I haven't actually been on a 280+ aristo, so I don't know the feel of the power; you know what I mean. Also, what would be an ideal turbo for drifting on this engine (JDM TT)? I know a grip on hachirokus (building my own 20V and built a 16V pushing 200whp) but i definetly suck when it comes to turbos and i6's... i will check supraforums.com. Thanx again. Oh, so you plan on using the n/a supra tranny? I might shoot for that instead of a chaser one...
Old 04-28-06, 06:41 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

I'm on non stock twins with a little more lag than stock jdm twins. from what i understand, jdm twins actually boost pretty quick and can have a nice hit, as long as you dont turn them up too much just running stockers will get you 350rwhp or more easily and safely. if you want to push past 1 bar of boost, grab a set of usdm stockers from your supra buddies, along with a usdm inatke cam and boost happily all day. i havent had my car to the dragstrip yet, but on the gte bottom end/ge head and 120 shot of nitrous i ran a 13.5@105. at that time the car was making 265rwhp and 280tq. I'm making a good bit more than that now, so i would guess that with a set of drag radials it would easily dip into the 12s . there is a local 1/4 mile opening here before the summer, so i will post up some #s.

when i do the tranny swap, i'm going to use a jza70 r154 1jz tranny (5 speed) The w58 just wont hold up to the abuse i'm going to give it.

i'm also going to redesign my hot side charge piping and switch to a different intercooler design on my setup. i think i'm creating a little bit of surge the way i have both hot pipes going into one side of the intercooler and mixing, instead of joing the flows smoothly together. should decrease the spool time i'm experiencing right now and smooth out the powerband in general.

i'm happy with the peak power i'm making without hitting boost cut.. dyno'd 333rwhp, but that was at 1.0 bar, and i'm constantly boosting to 1.05 or more on the street..occassionaly 1.15.
Old 04-28-06, 08:23 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

you do have the JDM JZ147 TT right?
Old 04-28-06, 08:39 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i dont and i have close to 3mm head gasket with gte block over my ge head... better flow tood and i have supra tt pump. which is good to go 280lph and i have 550's with 2 440's.. and just air fuel control andn im good!... with a small turbo 60trimm..... but sky's the limit and money is an unfortunate thing. depends how much u wanna spend
Old 04-29-06, 06:44 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Hmm.. "close to 3mm headgasket on GTE bottom end"?? Dude you are running like 7:1 compression ratio now

Stock GTE motor.. 8.5:1, each mm of headgasket thickness = roughly .5 comp ratio. Unless you really had to shave down the GE head for some reason.... more details please.

I was running the same setup in my car for a while, but non turbo and stock headgasket.. so roughly 8.5:1..no turbo = 87 octane gas
Old 04-29-06, 06:46 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

the supra pump is good also, but runs out at 500rwhp, and costs more than the 255 walbro which will get you to 600.

local guy had a supra pump in his mr2 with a t78 and 1000ccs, it leaned out at 491rwhp.
Old 04-29-06, 06:48 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kidzik007
you do have the JDM JZ147 TT right?
yes. i bought the aristo motor set before i even bought my gs. hows that for plannig ahead? took me like 6 months to find my car, and i've had it for just over 3 years.
Old 04-29-06, 08:09 AM
Caius
Pole Position

well, I saw Chris Johnson of Performance Motorsports/Boost Logic's SC300 NA turbo last weekend and it's ****ing impressive. All he did was put the turbo kit on it, and put in a thicker head gasket to lower the compression slightly. He's running around mid 700's and pulled a 10.90 at 131 at the track. So you definitely can make assloads of power on the GE engine. Also he makes a manifold that clears the dizzy, the only catch is that it's 1500 by itself....but awsome work. I'm still up in the air on the idea of throwing a turbo at this engine or swapping as I too have seen some cheap swaps....would take a while to save it up and would require going back to donating plasma....but for a worthy cause. just my thoughts.
Old 04-29-06, 09:21 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

since I still owe the car (got 2 years left) I think I'll wait for the JDM swap for now. With an LSD and 250~280 whp it won't be too bad for an occasional drift car. Since i'm still building my hachi, I really might not get into the gs just yet. Here is the money factor:

Option 1

JDM Aristo TT motor set: $1500~2000 + shipping
Walbro fuel pump: $250
Intercooler: 600~1000
+ other stuff like T timer, b controler, exhaust, gauges, etc: ~$1000
TOTAL: around $3800

Option 2

Manifold: 800~1500
Turbo: 400~1200
Fuel fump: 250
Head Gasket: 100~150
Piggyback: 600~1200 (e-manage or AEM)
Other stuff: 1000
THE HARD AND MOSTLY OVERLOOKED PART- Tuning: 800~1000 for dyno tuning
TOTAL: around 4K-5K

this are rough estimates and ppl with either setup might now of shortcuts or hook ups to lower either price. The swap, as I said, makes the more sense to me also because of the more aftermaket parts like cams and, well , you guys know all the MKIV stuff that's out there. Thanx everyone for the input!
Old 04-30-06, 01:24 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

I see a few things wrong with your list. You obviously arent bargin shopping, and where in the world can you find a JDM 2JZGTE for 1500? Second, I have found the walbro on various sites across the world wide web for $100 dollar, so if you found it for 250...keep searching. Third, intercoolers on Ebay are not bad. The pressure drop exactly the same, and even better in some cases, then some of the name brand suppliers. As for a 2JZGE manifold, powerhouse racing sells theirs for 600 I believe. If you want a piggyback, please dont loop AEM into the same category as the e-manage, or any other piggyback seeing as AEM is a standalone fuel management system. As for the other stuff...T-time, boost controller, gauges, pipes, couplers....Ebay that stuff. I know dyno tuning is the most expensive part of a turbo system, unless you get a badass turbo. Ive got my turbo stuff down to about 2500-3000 dollars, before tuning. Anyway, if you think tuning is gonna be expensive...unless you know alot about cars and wiring and all that other stuff, your gonna have a hard time swapping the motors. There are quite a few things different in the JDM vs USDM 2JZGTE motor, you need to do some more research. Seeing as 700rwhp is easily attainable with the 2JZGE, I would just stick with it. Plus, you said you want a drifter, drifters dont need 700rwhp....or more.
Before you make your decision, please, pretty please with a cherry on top, do more research.

Quick Reply: 1st Gen GS turbo questions