GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

DIY Window Trim Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 08:59 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shoaf213
DUDE, not to be rude or anything, but FIND THE NEW TRIM! Really, you MIGHT get lucky and be able to use some adhesive, IF you're lucky; but, if you're EMBARRED and think it's not LEX-LIKE, then do it right!
Don't quite have the budget for it, it would take me 3 weeks just to get a trim piece from the dealer....f that, i'd rather tint my windows, and get some HIDs and keep some pocket cash
Old 05-01-06, 09:24 PM
YaYAReAGs3
Pole Position

ok folks this is how I fixed my trim..I pulled the trim off far enough to get my fingers in there..Cleaned the the door and the inside of the trim with some rubbibg alchohal..grabed some black 3m double sided tape warmed it up with a heat gun aplied it on the door .then clamped the trim down with a pair of clamps .keep the clamps on for awhile then your done...Kinda ghetto but hey it got her done
Old 05-02-06, 06:51 AM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
Don't quite have the budget for it, it would take me 3 weeks just to get a trim piece from the dealer....f that, i'd rather tint my windows, and get some HIDs and keep some pocket cash
Well, like I said, I found a parts car on Ebay, I would just keep looking....People aren't gonna notice it like tint, but it's the BEST mod I've done...Man, you can't hear a THING in that car when it's fixed...I started picking out things to annoy me, like stuff sliding in the door pockets!
Old 05-04-06, 10:21 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus Dawg
I know a guy who actually used some J B Weld and stuck it inside of there, then used a C-clamp hold hold it in place until it cured, it's been holding ever since...

I did that. Did you guys not find my post where I took pictures? I didn't use the JB weld at that time but the procedure is the same. I went back and used JB-Weld and I'm glad I did.

I'd say the trim is 90% as good as new. JB-Weld will hold (6 months+ parked outside so far) but the problem is the trim has been bent, and it is hard to bend it back exactly how it is supposed to be. The weatherstripping is like 1mm from making the correct seal in some places. Better than half an inch or so.

Question: Does anone have a spare plastic clip thing for the top of the driver's side trim? I broke one of the prongs on mine. I will buy yours.

Basically, though, those plastic clips do come unglued, but so does the metal brace that screws into your doorframe. Once the brace seperates from the black exterior part of the trim, the clips fail. Could they have welded the parts together? Hmmm, might have been nice.

I don't think you will be able to fix the trim without removing it. You have to have that metal brace clamped to the black part with about 6 c-clamps and let it bond overnight.

If anyone wants to ask questions I will be glad to help - it really isn't a bad DIY project but if your really want perfection you probably would be happier following shoaf's advice and buying new trim.
Old 05-09-06, 03:06 PM
mikemcus
Driver School Candidate

I can second the advice for using JB Weld. I tried it this weekend with jb quick weld and it worked great. I left the clamps on about 6 hours to ensure a good bond. It is not perfect as metioned above, but it has reduced wind noise dramatically, and looks a lot better as well.
Old 08-03-06, 10:00 PM
thegad
Driver School Candidate

I had no idea this trim issue is so prevalent or so expensive a fix! Looks like the rear passenger trim on the gs I'm looking at is having the same problem...maybe I can argue down the price as a result!
Old 08-04-06, 07:03 AM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Does anyone know where we can find this window trim New at a cheaper price Why dont we try to do a Group Buy (if possible) i am sure we have enough guys willing to do this repair if it was at a good price
Old 08-04-06, 09:01 AM
GS3Admired
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plkyone
Does anyone know where we can find this window trim New at a cheaper price Why dont we try to do a Group Buy (if possible) i am sure we have enough guys willing to do this repair if it was at a good price
i so agree with this.....
Old 08-05-06, 03:03 PM
thegad
Driver School Candidate

The gs I'm looking at right now has the trim issue on the driver's side. I'm thinking of just going the JB weld route (unless a group buy comes together!) I feel like if I b@*#& at a lexus dealership enough maybe they'll cut me a break or something, as others said the wind-noise is completely unbefitting of a lexus.
Old 08-05-06, 06:37 PM
gs300pnp

Default part number, MSRP . Quote I got from March 2006

This is a partical quote I received back in March 2006. However I was ordering a significant order at the time and received a discount.

At lwast you have the numbers now.

And YES, these are genuine LEXUS parts and they are brand new. The delivery time for my order was about 1 month.

Perhaps Steve// Parts Manager for CARSONS' can do better with a GROUP purchase and I'm sure they will get a huge order.

75701-30101
MOULDING, FRT RH
407.97$
305.98$
305.98$
75702-30101
MOULDING, FRT LH
407.97$
305.98$
305.98$
75703-30040
MOULDING, RR RH
275.47$
206.60$
206.60$
75704-30130
MOULDING, RR LH
275.47$
206.60$
206.60$
Old 08-05-06, 07:46 PM
thegad
Driver School Candidate

In a word...@#*&. It's not that I don't see the value, but I think I might rather spend the money on something different...like putting it into the audio system, then I'll just turn up the volume until I can't hear the wind noise!
Old 08-06-06, 08:49 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thegad
In a word...@#*&. It's not that I don't see the value, but I think I might rather spend the money on something different...like putting it into the audio system, then I'll just turn up the volume until I can't hear the wind noise!

Well said!
Old 08-06-06, 02:30 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Well turning up the audio is fine wind noise ok but when it gets worse and water starts to drip in whats next a raincoat. Look i just feel if you are going to fix it do it right, when i got my lex i knew that the parts were expensive but i love the car and i want to hook it up right, if i am going to compromise i might as well buy a YUGO then i can use screws and crazyglue to fix that

Hey for all those guys who are intersted in the group buy i will be visiting Lexus of Pembroke Pines & JM Lexus to see who can give the best price if anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated

Last edited by plkyone; 08-06-06 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 05:25 AM
grey300
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

I had the same problem with my car what I did was pull the rubber all the way out roll the window down and seated the rubber then I had the moulding rivited to the door using black rivets no more wind noise I used three rivets two on top one on the bottom this looks good and lets the window roll up fast the only problem is the moulding is closer to the door than normal because the rivets have to grip but to save $500 plus installation I love it now if someone can give me some advice on my catalic converter I would be good to go

thanks
Old 08-07-06, 05:54 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a couple of C-Clamps and an epoxy similar to this one http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=16002

You rub it like Playdoh and stick it in the gap. Looks like new, Has lasted 2 years. Cheap quick fix

Quick Reply: DIY Window Trim Fix