GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

DIY Window Trim Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 10:36 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DIY Window Trim Fix

Hey guys, we all have problems with the window trim and there is so much information out there to help us DIY guys but its all spread out throughout CL so i'm trying to gather it all into one. I'm going to try to fix my 2 front window trims in the near future as soon as i can get enough accurate information and tips. Don't mean to make a repeating thread

So far, i know the door panel will need to come off in order to do this. Someone please list a step by step procedure on how to take the window trim off, dos and don'ts, things to look out for, what type of adhessive to use (JB WELD?) where to apply the adhessive, pictures, ANYTHING that will help and ease the project

Thanks guys
Old 04-26-06, 10:59 AM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
Hey guys, we all have problems with the window trim and there is so much information out there to help us DIY guys but its all spread out throughout CL so i'm trying to gather it all into one. I'm going to try to fix my 2 front window trims in the near future as soon as i can get enough accurate information and tips. Don't mean to make a repeating thread

So far, i know the door panel will need to come off in order to do this. Someone please list a step by step procedure on how to take the window trim off, dos and don'ts, things to look out for, what type of adhessive to use (JB WELD?) where to apply the adhessive, pictures, ANYTHING that will help and ease the project

Thanks guys
I tried epoxy, no good, it just peeled right back off, I just found a parts car on Ebay, a 95, got the trim for $250....
Old 04-26-06, 12:41 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

I feel your pain, LOL.. I just replaced my moulding last week, No way salvageable!

Before,
Attached Thumbnails DIY Window Trim Fix-img_2598-small-.jpg  
Old 04-26-06, 12:44 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

That looks really bad...

And the after, Yay

Attached Thumbnails DIY Window Trim Fix-img_2754-small-.jpg  
Old 04-27-06, 06:56 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW so this IS a world wide lexus problem... I thought I was the only one... anyone has mad wind noise from the drivers side too?
Old 04-27-06, 07:55 AM
GS3Admired
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG... i've been looking for this for sooo long already......does neone have an extra one for the drivers side....sumone broke into my car and broke the trim where the pillar is ....please help
Old 04-27-06, 09:00 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

yea it should be declared a world wide crisis! All 4 of my trims need to be replaced but only the 2 fronts are making annoying wind noise. I was quoted 477 a piece for my window trim, screw that!!

Common guys, a lot of you have done this before, we need some mad advice, tips and how to's with this thing.
Old 04-27-06, 09:41 AM
jeffrepops
Driver School Candidate

Had to have both front doors fixed on my '93 a few years ago. Lexus agreed to do it for labor cost only (not cheap, but better than nothing). They acknowledged it was a factory fault. Good luck
Old 04-27-06, 01:38 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Admired
OMG... i've been looking for this for sooo long already......does neone have an extra one for the drivers side....sumone broke into my car and broke the trim where the pillar is ....please help
Mine was bad, then someone broke into mine too, LOL...They popped the whole D/S window out, and low and behold, the trim was even worse..
Old 04-27-06, 01:40 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

yea it should be declared a world wide crisis! All 4 of my trims need to be replaced but only the 2 fronts are making annoying wind noise. I was quoted 477 a piece for my window trim, screw that!!

Common guys, a lot of you have done this before, we need some mad advice, tips and how to's with this thing.
You're askin for a miracle. There's no good "fix"....You can either cough up the dough, or find a parts car at a salvage yard or on ebay. Mind you, since it IS a worldwide problem, it's one of the first things to go and some junk yards wont sell it without the door, lol....

Good luck
Old 04-27-06, 01:43 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try www.car-parts.com.. its a search engine for salvage yards all over the country.
Old 05-01-06, 05:51 AM
Vmoney
Driver

yeah mine is anoying on the drivers side, i just turn my beats up. it just sux when your talking to people or trying to have a peaceful convo. that is soooo not Lex like!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-06, 08:56 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vmoney
yeah mine is anoying on the drivers side, i just turn my beats up. it just sux when your talking to people or trying to have a peaceful convo. that is soooo not Lex like!!!!!!!!!!!!
Definitely not lex like...very very very dissapointing and embaracing. There you are trying to show off ur car and first thing they critique is the wind noise.

But guys, don't mean to be rude or anything but we need to put some usable information/instructions on how to do this. We need instructions on how to fix it, i know there is always a junk yard but 80% of the GSs have this problem so what are the chances of gettin a broken one?? We gotta know how to take the trim off, where to apply the adheasive and tips. Thanks guys
Old 05-01-06, 03:01 PM
Lexus Dawg
Driver

I know a guy who actually used some J B Weld and stuck it inside of there, then used a C-clamp hold hold it in place until it cured, it's been holding ever since...
Old 05-01-06, 05:12 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Definitely not lex like...very very very dissapointing and embaracing. There you are trying to show off ur car and first thing they critique is the wind noise.

But guys, don't mean to be rude or anything but we need to put some usable information/instructions on how to do this. We need instructions on how to fix it, i know there is always a junk yard but 80% of the GSs have this problem so what are the chances of gettin a broken one?? We gotta know how to take the trim off, where to apply the adheasive and tips. Thanks guys
DUDE, not to be rude or anything, but FIND THE NEW TRIM! Really, you MIGHT get lucky and be able to use some adhesive, IF you're lucky; but, if you're EMBARASSED and think it's not LEX-LIKE, then do it right!

Last edited by shoaf213; 05-02-06 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Window Trim Fix