GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

MKIV and JZS147 LSD compatability

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 09:20 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MKIV and JZS147 LSD compatability

I hear that you can use an LSD from a MKIV supra. My question is from which specific model, being that the n/a and the auto TT use one type and the 6speed TT uses another one. Thanx in advance!!!

Looking for an LSD...
Old 05-01-06, 11:36 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidzik007
I hear that you can use an LSD from a MKIV supra. My question is from which specific model, being that the n/a and the auto TT use one type and the 6speed TT uses another one. Thanx in advance!!!

Looking for an LSD...
Im not 100% positive on this statement, but I believe we have the same automatic tranny from a TT supra, so it should work. Hopefully someone else will chime in because like I said...not 100% sure.
Old 05-02-06, 07:53 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want a TT Auto diff. The 6 speed diff gearing is all wrong for you, at least till you do the tranny swap. With the tranny swap, and the auto diff if you want to change the gearing you should just be able to swap the ring and pinion.

I lucked out huge and picked up a KAAZ 2 way for an Aristo.. just swapped my pumpkin for his. I'll look into the gearing more when I need to.
Old 05-02-06, 01:06 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

for the price of a new supra lsd pffft
get a kaaz 2 way
epik bought mine (btw you can switch the gear on it jeff)

after having a real lsd and not a viscous unit I'll never go back, if quaife made an lsd for the 240 I would get that, no break in.

biggest thing with getting a kaaz is break in
45 minutes AT LEAST of hard *** ***** out figure 8s
pop it in nuetral in the straight parts of the 8 and into drive and gas through the corners. then replace the oil RIGHT AWAY after the break in

I had a friend help to pop it in nuetral so I could steer, I got tired half way through and switched. Which if you don't think it's tiring you didn't push it hard enough.

you can ONLY use kaaz oil (it's better then other lsd stuff anyway) and you need to change it every 6k miles. sometimes every 3k for a really hard driven track car, depends on how it's slipping, you will know when the oil needs changing
Old 07-03-06, 10:20 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thread resurection.
I dont want to do the whole diff swap just the lsd (torsen)
What makes the supra 6mt different than the auto lsd ? Just the lsd not the gears.

Thanks, and yea I searched but didnt find the answer to that...
Old 07-10-06, 08:07 PM
gs300pnp

Originally Posted by kidzik007

Looking for an LSD...
the MKIV TT w/auto trans & JDM ARISTO LSD are the sam3 the 6spMT has a. different gear ratio.. if toy plan to swap the complete pumpkin from the USDM rear diff with the MKIV you will need to natch the correct flange plus you will need to locate the rear half of a drive shaft with the correct length. if you can get a JDM aristo tt drive shaft that will work. again you will need the matched flanged because the LSD uses a larger one so your original drive shaft and flange will not match the bolt pattern.
Old 07-11-06, 06:08 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs300pnp
the MKIV TT w/auto trans & JDM ARISTO LSD are the sam3 the 6spMT has a. different gear ratio.. if toy plan to swap the complete pumpkin from the USDM rear diff with the MKIV you will need to natch the correct flange plus you will need to locate the rear half of a drive shaft with the correct length. if you can get a JDM aristo tt drive shaft that will work. again you will need the matched flanged because the LSD uses a larger one so your original drive shaft and flange will not match the bolt pattern.
From what I have read on SF the 6spd uses a different size bearing journal. The gears dont matter as much to me as stuffing a Torsen in there but apparently the 6spd doesnt fit.
Also I thought that someone on here tried the 6spd mkiv rear carrier and found that the flanges didnt mount up ?
Old 07-11-06, 07:06 AM
Kaiser
Racer

The Aristo is a LSD? I got a pumpkin with my clip and it didn't seem to be. I haven't cracked it open to look though.
Old 07-11-06, 03:56 PM
gs300pnp

Originally Posted by EG8
From what I have read on SF the 6spd uses a different size bearing journal. The gears dont matter as much to me as stuffing a Torsen in there but apparently the 6spd doesnt fit.
Also I thought that someone on here tried the 6spd mkiv rear carrier and found that the flanges didnt mount up ?
the 6spmt lsd 'unit' will not fit inside of a gs300 pumpkin. if i can locate the tech write up I was given by some that was selling the lsd from the 6sp mt I'll post it.
Old 07-11-06, 04:07 PM
gs300pnp

Originally Posted by Kaiser
The Aristo is a LSD? I got a pumpkin with my clip and it didn't seem to be. I haven't cracked it open to look though.
you'll have to open it. search my posts and you will see a pic of the one I have from aJDM Aristo.

be careful not to strip the filler and drain hex bolts. also when reassemble, make sure you use a torque wrench and also tighten in a criss-cross pattern. btw, for the gasket sealer, get a toyota brand at a toyota parts counter
they use a really good brand. but its about $15-$18 a tube (i think or was that for two?)
Old 07-11-06, 04:09 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs300pnp
the 6spmt lsd 'unit' will not fit inside of a gs300 pumpkin. if i can locate the tech write up I was given by some that was selling the lsd from the 6sp mt I'll post it.
Right thats what I was saying, but I thought the pumpkin from the supra didnt fit the gs3 frame either...
Old 07-11-06, 04:10 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaiser
The Aristo is a LSD? .
The aristo should be a torsen not an lsd
Old 07-11-06, 04:32 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Wow BONUS for me then. I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the shop. I have the driveshafts and everything.

What is the final drive ratio of that pumpkin?

Last edited by Kaiser; 07-11-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 04:49 PM
gs300pnp

Default Torsen 3.76 Limited Slip Differential

Check it out... I couldn't find the posting but here something interesting

1995 TOYOTA SUPRA Differential Torsen 3.76 Limited Slip Differential (entire pumpkin) off a 94-96 AUTOMATIC TWIN TURBO toyota supra.

Here's another referece

Supra tt torsen 3.76:1 6 speed LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL #JZA80
Old 07-11-06, 07:05 PM
Kaiser
Racer

I knew what the Supra auto tt gear was. I guess we can assume it's the same ratio.

The NA GS gear is 4.08 if I'm not mistaken. A taller gear (3.76) will be better for the turbo. It should increase the load and get up the spool up faster. I'll have to call down to the shop and have them crack that case open.

I'd also need to get the Auto TT speedo gear.

Quick Reply: MKIV and JZS147 LSD compatability