GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Rear Gastank and Subwoofer quiestion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 06:25 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Gastank and Subwoofer quiestion?

Well im just wondering how easy it is to hook up subwoofers to theres cars. Also will it be a bad idea to get subs because of the gas tank? Any tips on installing na dmaking it sound better? and last but not least the stock sub remove or leave?
Old 06-08-06, 08:35 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Welcome to the club I have a 94 gs and Im currently doing my system also.The hard part will be subwoofers and what your primary goal is sq. spl . You can do freeairs or lose some trunk space and do a enclosure, now this is where the hard part comes in our trunk has the tank and between the tank and the back seat is a metal plate which serves as a fire wall which makes it hard for bass to travel into the cabin by removing the stock sub the sound will get into the car but you will still have a lot of cancellation in the trunk because all the air is being forced through a 10 in hole and this is not enough space to release the pressure in your trunk.To get a better idea of what Im talking about picture a bandpass box for two 12in subs with a 6in port tuned to 41hz , when you play it sounds good right? now remove the port and imagine how it will sound not good because the sound has no place to go so you get alot of cancellation so a enclosure in the trunk of a gs is sort of like haviing a bandpass box with no ports . Best advice is to fire through the rear deck and make sure the box is completely sealed from the trunk that way you get all the bass you paid for and you get very little rattle and it sounds much cleaner.
Old 06-08-06, 10:30 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Simply put, the gas tank sucks!
Old 06-09-06, 05:29 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Well i get everything you said so far but the last sentence i dont understand.(Best advice is to fire through the rear deck and make sure the box is completely sealed from the trunk that way you get all the bass you paid for and you get very little rattle and it sounds much cleaner.) The rear deck? sounds like a good idea because you said theres less rattle and good base. Im not worried about the work because i get all labor for free and some quality labor. I was just wondering if you can elaborate on what oyu mean so that my installer has a good idea on what to do. Thanks alot Smuv GS3
Old 06-09-06, 05:51 PM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

You would have to build the box to fit the cavity between the rear deck and the gas tank area either by fiberglass or custom cuts of wood or both. If you dont mind cutting some sheet metal you can cut enough so the front baffle can fire into the cabin and you can redo your rear deck with acoustic cloth ,mdf , and chicken wire so it can look stealth. Ypu have to get the woofers as close to the rear as possible and seal it from the trunk to avoid cancellation of bass waves, you can use expanding foam around the perimeter of the front baffle and silicon and for good measure some dynamat on the rear deck to cure any rattling
Old 06-14-06, 09:19 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

The gas tank isn't that bad LINK just work around it and it can be your friend. LOL And putting subs in the back won't hurt you I had mine for a few years and i haven't blown-up so you should be safe too.
Old 06-14-06, 09:23 AM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Thats good to know ^ haha thanks. The only problem i have is that im broke and not too stereo saavy to build anything near to what you have. So im about stuck to just installing the subs in a box that i have already. I might nit sure yet but i might have to cut holes in the rear deack to get them ported . And i might change the stock sub to a bit better free-air sub.