GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Are there any aftermarket CD changers that are compatibile with our OEM decks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-06, 09:57 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Are there any aftermarket CD changers that are compatibile with our OEM decks?

My stock cd changer is busted and I really don't want to replace the whole system. Let me know guys!

Thanks in advance,

- Seize
Old 08-18-06, 12:19 PM
Caius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering about this myself....
Old 08-18-06, 01:13 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

offcourse Nackamichi... has them i kno this for a fact for the SC's cuz me and my friend changed his ... so they should have it for the GS (jzs 147)model
Old 08-18-06, 01:50 PM
Kaiser
Racer

That would only apply on post 95 vehicles as they are Pioneer prior.
Old 08-27-06, 09:46 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

check ebay for a used one, if not you are sol man, NOTHING else will work (i used to be an installer at a stereo shop), your best bet if you cant find another one is to either A: invest in satellite radio(highly reccomend) or B:get a portable cd player with tape adapter and do it "ghetto style" (dont reccomend), unless of course you have enough money to replace the radio,change all speakers,bypass the amp and add some subs (for a decent sound)

if you played burned (bootleg) cd's in it thats probably the reason why it burned up, the lasers in factory cd players arent designed for them and after a while they will all burn up (seen it 100's of times)

if you just get an error message you could possibly TRY to take it apart and clean the lense, ive seen it work once or twice but normally it wont, if its mechanical (jammed) then forget it.

P.S. i almost forgot, you can use an aftermarket changer if you want to run it with an fm modulator, but this means a seperate control unit up front to operate it and the sound quality isnt very good, i personally wouldnt go this route because i think they are tacky and id only use one as a last resort.
Old 08-27-06, 11:05 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Good lookin' out on the advice bro, I appreciate it. Looks like I'm going to have to locate an OEM one then.

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
check ebay for a used one, if not you are sol man, NOTHING else will work (i used to be an installer at a stereo shop), your best bet if you cant find another one is to either A: invest in satellite radio(highly reccomend) or B:get a portable cd player with tape adapter and do it "ghetto style" (dont reccomend), unless of course you have enough money to replace the radio,change all speakers,bypass the amp and add some subs (for a decent sound)

if you played burned (bootleg) cd's in it thats probably the reason why it burned up, the lasers in factory cd players arent designed for them and after a while they will all burn up (seen it 100's of times)

if you just get an error message you could possibly TRY to take it apart and clean the lense, ive seen it work once or twice but normally it wont, if its mechanical (jammed) then forget it.

P.S. i almost forgot, you can use an aftermarket changer if you want to run it with an fm modulator, but this means a seperate control unit up front to operate it and the sound quality isnt very good, i personally wouldnt go this route because i think they are tacky and id only use one as a last resort.
Old 08-28-06, 06:36 AM
Kaiser
Racer

www.millionbuy.com . I bought an Eclipse head unit, soundstream amp, RCA's and wiring kit for under $500. The soundstream was a refurb but for $100 for a 5 channel, who cares.
Old 09-01-06, 03:12 PM
BAYBLEX
Driver School Candidate

I have my original cd changer as I put a new system in my car. It worked prior to taking out. If your interested, let me know.
Old 09-02-06, 09:32 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Originally Posted by BAYBLEX
I have my original cd changer as I put a new system in my car. It worked prior to taking out. If your interested, let me know.
If it's a Nakamichi 12 disc then I might be interested. Let me know.
Old 09-02-06, 11:53 AM
BAYBLEX
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't say on the changer, I doubt its Nakamichi. I'll check the deck the stock deck that came out, which is at my house (not there right now) and let you know!