GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Hey guys.. Aussie Aristo owner signing in :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06 | 09:57 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

welcome naked guy. i love the blue.. cant go wrong with PHR parts.. Sp is a good bunch also. depends on the deal you get i guess, since they wont be installing them
Old 09-04-06 | 06:18 PM
nakedterro
Driver

Now that's looking good! What are the specs? Internals?
You're absolutely right, I'm very aware of the 2jz's capabilities, that's exactly why I went for the Aristo! I miss my Supra, but wanted something a little different as big HP Supras are almost a cliche. The Aristo is rare as rocking horse crap over here, we only got the JZS160 GS300 with the 2JZGE. Lexus Australia never released the JZS161 locally and only a few have come through under personal import laws. (Aust govt regs make importing cars incredibly difficult)

The JZS147 has just been approved for import and I doubt that there would even be 20 in the country yet, so I'm getting in early! It was never offered locally by Lexus. Australia is a bit of a backwater for cars I'm afraid, we miss out on many great cars as we just don't have the population to make it worth car makers time to bring them in.

I've had a few tough cars, including a 97 Mitsubish GTO VR4 ( I think called the GT3000 in the US?) A 96 TT JZA80, a Series 6 RX7, Version 5 WRX STI and here's one of the toys I'm getting rid of to make way for the Aristo

http://www.rampant.net.au/shop/produ...roducts_id=177

http://www.rampant.net.au/shop/produ...roducts_id=178

The 1j is a great engine, but doesn't come near the 2jz.

Am familiar with Sound Performance, but have had a decent chat to the PHR guys and have been impressed by their knowledge and r & d that has gone into their kits.

Oh yeah, I just picked up a getrag six speed box nice and cheap - am planning to have the first 6 speed Aristo in Australia

You guys are so lucky to have so many workshops that know and love the 2jz - as there are relatively few 2jz powered cars in Australia, there just isn't the depth of knowledge that you guys have access to.

Anyways, thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

It's time to start asking the tech questions now. I plan to get another Aristo and leave it auto, just wondering if the auto is the same as the JZA80 TT box? If so, it should be good for 450-500hp if driven sympathetically. It also makes upgrades nice and easy.

Is the floor pan on the JZS147 the same as the JZS160/161 ? I ask this as the seats in the jzs16* are much nicer and a lot more common to find in leather.

Will the suspension swap out of a jza80 into the 147? I've heard conflicting info on this.

I think that's pretty much it for now

I will keep you all posted on my progress. I've just applied for the import approval, if all goes according to plan it will be 6 weeks until I have the car in my workshop.

Originally Posted by gs300pnp
Very nice! As a supra owner yourself already know what the ARISTO can do.

BTW, you mentioned PHR for parts, they are a good performance shop/store. I myself am working with Sound-Performance I can attest Larry and his team are great to work with. They also have MKIV customer down-under. Give then a shout and check out their kits. Keep us posted with your MODS.

Here's a quick pic of my engine bay as of last week.
Old 09-04-06 | 10:05 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

i can help answer one of your questions above.
the suspension from jza80 will not fit jzs147....as far as i know....
but it will fit toyota soarer no problem.
Old 09-04-06 | 10:19 PM
nakedterro
Driver

ok interesting, as the suspension between the jzz/uzz30 series Soarer and the JZA80 Supra are totally interchangeable withno modifications required. You can't swap the springs between the struts on the soarer and supra, but the entire strut assemblies from each car just swap right out..

With that being the case, it seems weird that the JZS147 suspension won't swap with the JZA80 too...

I notice you've got a soarer and a gs300 - have you tried swapping the suspension between them?
Old 09-04-06 | 10:21 PM
nakedterro
Driver

I think I misread what you said, I thought you mean the jzs147 suspension will swap with a jza80.. but I think you meant soarer/supra will swap?

sorry
Old 09-04-06 | 10:33 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

I have done a lot of research on the subject of suspension for the JZS147. The fronts from the JZA80 are a bolt up affair, the rears need different lower pieces. Why not just go the complete bolt on route and get coilovers for the car specifically. Try looking in Racing Logic. They are the coilovers I run for almost the last year now.. very compliant for street driving and very capable for the track also. Racing Logic has a drift team and is involved in other motorsports in your neck of the woods, so they shouldnt be hard to find. Cost is very reasonable a well.. around >$1300.00 USD for the set.

I'm jealous of you for finding a "cheap" Getrag.. i'm going to be forced to go r154 1jz due to costs.

The auto trans is not the same as the JZA80.. mine is tuned right now to roughly 380 rwhp and hangs a bit on the upshift at full bore. It can be modded.. valve bodies..etc. I would say that 450rwhp is definitely the upmost limit for the tranny for any amount of time.

Congrats on a nice purchase and have fun.. nice stable you've had.
Old 09-04-06 | 10:52 PM
nakedterro
Driver

Thanks for info Epik - I was just interested in whether the a80 supra or zz30 soarer suspension would fit as I have quite a few sets laying around the workshop and it would have saved me having to buy some more. I can pick stuff up quite cheaply from Japan, so I'll grab a set from there, probably Tom's advox or Cusco Zero 2

That's a real shame about the a80 box not being the same :/

re the getrag - I managed to swap one with worn sycnhros for a set of wheels. As a mate of mine builds race boxes for a living, a freshen up won't cost much! score!

So you're running 380rwhp through the standard box? That's pretty good. As mentioned, I plan to keep one auto (for my fiance to drive, so I can convince her to ditch the Audi!!) so it's good to know I can turn the boost up and the box will live for a while
Old 09-04-06 | 10:59 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

LOL.. yes, you could say that I'm "running' it. I drift the car weekly and every out of town even that is near and I drive it every day. I hav an external tranny cooler on it and change the fluid before every out of town event.. may help to keep her alive a little longer until the 5MT swap takes place. I posted a vid of her in action in this section as well.. running only the Racing Logic coilovers and a Kaaz 2way LSD.
Old 09-04-06 | 11:12 PM
nakedterro
Driver

you really are giving that box a workout! How long has it been taking that kind of punishment?
Old 09-05-06 | 07:46 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

the stock Lexus tranny took it for over 2 years.. but that was at 178rwhp to 280 rwhp (nitrous).

This one has been at it since January...with a month off when my last motor spun a bearing.
Old 09-05-06 | 09:39 PM
nakedterro
Driver

so what has been done to the box you've got now?
Old 09-05-06 | 10:04 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

absolutely nothing.. still on stock tq conv and all. external tranny cooler that is beat to ****, but that is it.
Old 09-05-06 | 10:21 PM
nakedterro
Driver

best news I've heard all day
Old 09-06-06 | 05:23 PM
nakedterro
Driver

hmmm.. ok, I've gone a little overboard. Being doing a lot of shopping on Yahoo Japan for bits and pieces and so far have picked up the following

Greddy R-SPL intercooler kit
Leather interior
18" Volk LE37K (maybe sold off to go auto couture.. damn they're hot)
Torsen LSD
Jun Cam gears
Veilside boot spoiler
HKS Type LS Coilovers
Getrag V160 Six speed box

Plus some phoenix gold amps/subs and a clarion A/V setup inc touch screen tv

Damnit, want my car already!
Old 09-06-06 | 08:00 PM
gs300pnp

Originally Posted by nakedterro
hmmm.. ok, I've gone a little overboard. Being doing a lot of shopping on Yahoo Japan for bits and pieces and so far have picked up the following

Greddy R-SPL intercooler kit
Leather interior
18" Volk LE37K (maybe sold off to go auto couture.. damn they're hot)
Torsen LSD
Jun Cam gears
Veilside boot spoiler
HKS Type LS Coilovers
II have the polished R-SPL save money and get the one that’s not polished. When you put this on, you will need to remove anything that supports the front bumper skins. The JZS147 greddy FMIC mounts are weak too you'll need to play around with the piping too and it may not reach.

Leather interior? Are you replacing your cloth interior or buying complete seat set? The OEM grey cowhide is hard to match. both options leather skins and or complete interior are not cheap.

LSD... info for all other readers....
You can swap the internals between the NA diff and the AT TT dif. You can get a brand new OEM LSD for less than $1K but shipping will likely cost over $200.00 USD. the costs is the ring and pinion gear set gear ratios, can cost up to $600-$800. keep in mind there going with less or more will have an impact to your top end speed. Just depends if you want to be fast of the line or fast at higher speeds.

If you can find/order a complete rear end assembly from an ARISTO TT it will be cheaper buying the entire assembly and you will have extra parts. Before you disassemble and depending on condition... I would suggest doing a complete swap without touching any of the alignment settings. If you do this, you can easily fit a 10.5 to 11" wide rim with rolled fenders. I didn't do this at the time but next time I will. Also,... one thing to watch for... the drive axles as I found out for the JDM ARISTO are shorter than the USDM's I know for a fact the entire ARISTO TT rear end assembly is the same as the MKIV and the SC3/400. Also the flange that connects the diff to the driveshaft makes sure you get the right size and matching drive shaft.

CAm Gears: Can't go wrong with JUN. They are steep!

HKS Type LS Coilovers : these are very nice! they have been around for sometime so repair and replacement parts will be accessible. However they can be costly and replacement may be more economical than repairing. I have D2 racing C/O's high quality product no doubt just not well know yet.

Are you converting to a stick? Big job! watch your transmission tunnel width. Your interior shifter console will need to be modified and custom made. More cost. Also not to forget you will may want to get a tranny cooler too.

Look up my posts and you will see some pics I posted for the FMIC, wheels, LSD and my custom shifter and console.

Big power on the ARISTO comes with a huge $$$$$$$$$$$$$ cost. It took me almost three years to procure all GREDDY, HKS parts and other top quality components and custom fab.

One thing I’ll have to say its fun building up the car.

Quick Reply: Hey guys.. Aussie Aristo owner signing in :)