GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Stereo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 01:53 PM
threenine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Advice

I recently acquired a 1993 GS 300 with 62,500 miles...and I'd like your thoughts on my plans for the stereo. This model is tape only and I'd like to replace the oem deck with a CD player (the kit doesn't look too terrible I suppose)....I have an Orion 8004 100x4 amp I intend to use as well. I'd actually like to keep the stock speakers as I am perfectly fine with their sound, I simply want to listen to my own music and not through an fm modulator. My concern is that the speakers will distort or be too bright...has anyone used an aftermarket deck with the stock speakers?
Old 09-16-06, 05:09 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Yes I have an eclipse deck with a soundstream 5 channel. Stock speakers. Sounds fine.
Old 09-16-06, 09:26 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

why dont you ask around on the forum or search ebay for someones factory changer??
Old 09-16-06, 09:51 PM
okiaristo
Pole Position

i have that set up in my car right now and have no complaints. the stockers sound fine. they will not be too bright. the only prob i had was the center channel was wrecked by the sun.. i replaced it and have a pretty good surround sound. the only hard part is wiring them in. you have to splice them in at the doors. you cant use the leads from the stock deck because they go to the amp. it is not a hard job just takes some time. the rears you have to splice them in at the connector at the base of the B pillar (the one between the front/back seats) because there is a molex connection for the windows/speakers and you cant fit a new wire in there without some trouble . again no problem, just pull off the door panel and see what color wires go into the speaker box in the door , then look for them in the connector by the b pillar. use a voltmeter and look for continuity between the wires. easier done than explained. the fronts are easier. you just pull the window switches out (straight up is the best way) and look at the wires right below that go into the speaker box. then look at the bundle of wires that goes into the door and find the same colors and splice. if you do it this way you will not be able to use the stock amps again unless you go back and resolder the connections when you take the aftermarket stuff out. tape off the leads that come from the amps because you dont want to short them out. i made sure to get a good solder splice so the quality was as good as it could be. hope that helps
Old 09-17-06, 02:26 AM
threenine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
why dont you ask around on the forum or search ebay for someones factory changer??
I would, but since the car only came with a tape deck...the head unit lacks the changer controls. I also want MP3 functionality and reading CD-Rs would be a must.

okiaristo: indeed, you've been a big help...thanks
Old 09-17-06, 03:29 AM
okiaristo
Pole Position

hey three9, pm me when you start because there are other things you will have to do (nothing major) and i dont want you to be suprized. glad i could help..
Old 09-18-06, 10:03 AM
Vmoney
Driver

I have my Cd changer laying around, how much could i get from it?