GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My Car is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 09:46 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car is acting up

Yesterday bright n early in the morning i jump in my car to try to start it, I hear CLICK CLICK CLICK. Wont start, so i turn all the accessories off, still CLICK CLICK CLICK. I'm bout to panic here because i'm running late i gave it another shot, it clicked and then started right up.
8 hours after my car was sitting after work, same thing. I know my alternator is going out but maybe because its starting to get cold up here in minnesota so it could maybe be my battery too.
So last night, i connected a battery charger to my car, 2 amps, went all night. SAME THING HAPPENED!!
I'm starting to think it could be my starter?? Any ideas? Similar experiences?

EDIT: Check post number 10 for different issue

Last edited by Xeeeeeem; 09-20-06 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-20-06, 10:20 AM
Kaiser
Racer

The ground from the battery to the frame may be corroded on the inside. Mine was. I couldn't tell until I cut it open, the copper turned into white dust. Next time that happens, put jumper cables from the negative terminal of the battery to the lift hook attached to the head.

My swap wouldn't even start till I did the jumper cable trick. Just click.
Old 09-20-06, 01:33 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

That may be but i bought a set of ground wires from ebay...they were cheap but still should work.

I'll add another piece to the puzzle....a confusing one. If the car has been running in the past 2-4 hours approximately, it starts just fine.

Sure got me scratching my head
Old 09-20-06, 01:51 PM
intef
Driver School Candidate

I had exactly same symptoms last year. Phoned my local dealer (I was late too and their diagnosis over the phone was bad starter. Got starter replaced by the delear next day. And have not have any problems since. Paid around $400.
Old 09-20-06, 02:01 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Got a spare starter here.
Old 09-20-06, 03:12 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Still doesn't make sense on why the car starts and doesnt depending on when the last time it was driven. Also, if the starter went out, wouldn't it not start period?
Old 09-20-06, 06:56 PM
1stgenGSb
Pole Position

to be honest ive never had that happen in my lexus, but that happened in my Dodge Caravan about a year ago, and it was the alternator, it gave up on me in a publix parking lot, and eventually it cranked back up,after aout TWO HOURS of sitting, but we still got it replaced just to be safe
Old 09-20-06, 07:28 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Sounds like u have a starter problem it is a very intermittent problem if you can try to knock the starter with a screwdriver or something when u have the problem depending on how bad it is it should start ....Infamous Toyota issue with starters
Old 09-20-06, 07:31 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a small digital meter, read the DC voltage across the battery when it will and won't start. When it starts, what's the alternator output voltage.

Let's eliminate the guess work.
Old 09-20-06, 07:46 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
Get a small digital meter, read the DC voltage across the battery when it will and won't start. When it starts, what's the alternator output voltage.

Let's eliminate the guess work.
I have one in my powercap (slightly inacurate) and in my radar detector (hardwired into my cig lighter) 14.1 when cold and drops to 13.6 when warmed up. I'm almost sure my alt is going out on me and thats going in this weekend hopefully.

Like Kaiser said, it could be my ground, i cleaned out the minorly corroded connection and see what that does for me tommorow.

Heres another issue i have. When my car is cold, it starts out at 14.1 14.2 volts. It starts squeeling, like a chirping noise and after about it warms up 1/4 it goes away. This only happens in colder weather. But then when it warms up, hovers around 13.6 until i press on the brakes.

I know its the belt thats squeeling and it skips in its track but doesn't explain why the voltage is HIGHER than it is at lower IDLING. The Accesory belt got replaced not too long ago. How can i get rid of this HORRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE NOISE!!!???
Old 09-20-06, 09:54 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
Still doesn't make sense on why the car starts and doesnt depending on when the last time it was driven. Also, if the starter went out, wouldn't it not start period?

My experience was that the starter failed somewhat gradually, meaning that it would start fine sometimes and then not start at all in the same day. My brother could manipulate the ignition switch to make it start, but within a few hours one day, it went from startting fine to clicking and not cranking at all.
Old 09-20-06, 10:43 PM
intef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xeeeeeem
In my case it was the starter solenoid, I think. If its bad it wont make good contact to allow sufficient amount of current to flow to starter motor. Thus its clicking. And to speculate why it is not starting when engine is cold, I would believe that the metal solenoid shrinks when cold and expands when it becomes warmer. Thouse extra nanometers would make the difference in current flow.

Again Im not an expert (with cars)
Old 09-20-06, 11:17 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

This is happening to me too. I figure I will replace the starter pretty soon, Ive replaced my ground wire, and I have an Optima battery so theres no corrosion, So Ill get my uncle to help me check the solenoid sometime soon, and if thats not the case Ill get a new starter and just replace it myself.
Old 09-21-06, 03:36 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

How can i determine if its the solenoid or starter? How much is a solenoid online?
Old 09-21-06, 06:09 AM
Kaiser
Racer

They are one unit.

Quick Reply: My Car is acting up