GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

LONG....GS 300 blues!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 10:08 AM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They put the OEM plugs and Accel wires in it (OEM replacement) and said it ran fine for a while, but after driving it for a while the problem returned. It's running super rich still. I told him about the relay in the trunk and he said he wasn't sure, but that he thinks it's the same as the Supra, and that he'd check it, but still has no clue....
Old 09-26-06, 12:41 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.. MAF? do you have an SAFC2?

i have a spare MAF and adapter for cone filter on Ebay right now if you need one.

Is the problem temperature dependent? Like when the car warms up it acts up? Runs fine when cold or until up to operating temp?

Have they done a cylinder leakdown test on each cylinder yet? No smoke out the tail pipe?

I'm really thinking vacuum leak to be honest if there is no CEL. Would explain the pig richness.. any leak after the maf in the engine or intake system would cause the ecu to dump fuel.
Old 09-26-06, 12:43 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

when they did the head work did you retain the EGR valve or block it off? could be a leak in the gasket there also either way.
Old 09-26-06, 01:51 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

It does seem to get worse the longer it's run, whether that means it's worse the hotter it gets or not I couldn't tell you....They disgarded the cylinder idea. I don't have a spare MAF, but there was never a problem before...He said he'd try to block off the EGR plate...My buddy also mentioned bad fuel? or the fact it was sitting for almost a year (condensation)...
Old 09-26-06, 04:45 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

you may have hit the nail on the head there. put some isopropyl (drygas) in it and fill it with fresh premium. may solve your issues. if the gas is old and settled, you can usually smell it.. the guys at mazworx should be able to tell that first hand.
Old 09-26-06, 06:07 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Another thing to check. Temperature is a big factor in determining things like timing and fuel. Is the Intake air temperature sensor hooked up? It would need to be disconnected at one point to have that work done. On a Ford, which I know the most about, the default IAT is -44 degrees. The car adds a massive amount of fuel to protect itself. I've also seen IAT's go bad, but never on a Toyota. Hit it with a multimeter and see if it ohms out. I wish I had my manuals here I could tell you the spec. Maybe Jeff knows it. Then you could ohm out the wires from the harness to the ECU. Again, I wish I had my manuals here to tell you which pin.
Old 09-26-06, 07:45 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

HAHA, How did you know it was Mazworx?? I'll double check tomorrow
Old 09-26-06, 07:46 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Another thing to check. Temperature is a big factor in determining things like timing and fuel. Is the Intake air temperature sensor hooked up? It would need to be disconnected at one point to have that work done. On a Ford, which I know the most about, the default IAT is -44 degrees. The car adds a massive amount of fuel to protect itself. I've also seen IAT's go bad, but never on a Toyota. Hit it with a multimeter and see if it ohms out. I wish I had my manuals here I could tell you the spec. Maybe Jeff knows it. Then you could ohm out the wires from the harness to the ECU. Again, I wish I had my manuals here to tell you which pin.
Once again, I'll run it by him
Old 09-26-06, 09:23 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

i think that the IAT in this case is part of the MAF. i have the mk4 supra FSM on cd at the garage somewhere.. going to to have to dig it out

mazworx.. you said in one of the first posts, some guys that used to work for Titan..
Old 09-27-06, 06:25 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Oh snap Jeff you're right. It's a 6 wire maf, the IAT is built in. I totally forgot about that, which is odd being I've wired an AEM in before. Need a spare Vortex meter? I think Jeff and I have 3 or 4 of them between us.
Old 09-27-06, 04:26 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Well, today he mentioned the Coolant Temp Sensor? But, said that I would have to pay to pull the intake manifold back off and that it might not be the problem. Claimed that they swaped the ECU and MAF, and re-checked everything they have done.....

Last edited by shoaf213; 09-28-06 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 10:20 AM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

I'm at wit's end here....They are leaving this weekend for a race, and still don't have a clue, nor feel it's of their doing!
Old 09-28-06, 10:51 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Have they jumped the diagnostic port to check for trouble codes?
Old 09-28-06, 11:48 AM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Have they jumped the diagnostic port to check for trouble codes?
The only code it's pulling is 28...The O2 sensor, which it had before anything was done to it....I forgot to mention that the CEL does blink once or twice immediately before the RPM's drop, and then stays solid. Accoriding to them it's not throwing a new code though.
Old 09-28-06, 01:07 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

did they check the voltage on the alternator like i suggested? coolant temp sensor does not require pulling the intake manifold to gain access. it is tight, but they should be able to reach it by pulling the p/s pump.

did they swap the o2's yet?

sorry missed your calls.. last night i was drifting and this morning was at the vet with my dog. let me know.

Quick Reply: LONG....GS 300 blues!