Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions: What to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 02:01 PM
ricomr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Opinions: What to do

Alot of you probably don't know me here since I've never really taken the time to introduce myself, but Hello, my name is Marcus and I bought my 95' GS earlier this year. I've always loved the 1st gen GS and when i decided to sell my previous car, a 2001 Mercedes C240 w/6spd Manual, i decided to go after the GS. I found one on eBay, in Detroit, my 1995 with 152,000 miles on it. The pictures looked great, the interior seemed VERY clean, and it was only 5k. So I bought it that night, flew out the next night, and drove it back to GA that same night (I had to be at work the next morning). I made it back to GA without incident so that was a good sign and upon further inspection I found that all 4 doors were mostly rusting from the inside out. On the passenger side, where the roof meets the windshield there is some rust that would need to be cut out and patched. The front drivers side fender had been previously replaced but all the other numbers match, and the car had gotten a Maaco paint job at some point that's just about worn off. The window trim was also coming off the door on the drivers side and so it makes that hissing noise. The tach and speedo cluster needles were out, and the right rear passenger window was being held up by 2 wood blocks as the cable to the regulator snapped. Oh, also on the front passenger side caliper one of the pistons had seized. There may be a slow leak around the oil pain seal and there was a leak from the distributor. There is also some oil coming from the valve cover. I think it still idles a little high.

Since I've gotten it i did a full tune up with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I've replaced both the front driver and passenger side calipers. I changed the gasket around the distributor to stop the leak. I replaced the serpentine belt and alternator. I ordered a used gauge cluster with working needles that I should get this week. I've gotten 4 complete doors from a Silver 1992 Aristo, a front strut tower brace from the same Aristo as well as some Tein HR Coilovers, the folding mirros from the doors, a Blitz cone filter, and the steering wheel motors and switch (the Aristo has an "Off" option for the auto away). I got all of this in exchange for doing some work for the importer who just cared about selling the rest of the front clip.

Here's where the opinion part comes in:

I love my GS and could probably sell it for at least as much as I paid for it which ended up being $4,800. Thus far I've put about 20k miles on it. My plan was to do a GTE swap but I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought the car and probably would have had the car painted but didn't count on the rust.

So what I want to know is if you guys think I should keep the car and put in the money on rust removal/repair and paint. Or find another GS in better condition and go from there.
Old 10-17-06, 03:27 PM
Kaiser
Racer

How is the interior and how much will it cost to repair the rust?
Old 10-18-06, 05:23 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need to see pics of the rust to decide. and the extent of the rust is going to determine what you get out of the car i hate to say. if the new buyer is very attentive, you may take take a loss to get rid of it.
i had that exact same problem with my pass rear window, but i didnt find out til later b/c it was raining when i went to look at my car, and i bought it on the spot. i'm not really complaining though.. 206k miles, no rust and just the minor issues we all know about.. cupholder, door trim.. etc all for 3900.

did the doors..etc come from jarco?
Old 10-18-06, 06:54 AM
ricomr
Rookie

The interior does look pretty good but the drivers seat stitching is coming undone, and I haven't gotten a quote on the rust repair yet because a.) I really didn't want to know and b.) I thought I would get the car painted at the same time.

I'll get some pictures up later today. All the parts came through Shuri Motorsports in Winder, GA. I think they still have the rear end out of that Aristo as well as the hood, trunk, and front bumper.
Old 10-18-06, 07:44 AM
Kaiser
Racer

If you come across a green rear bumper cheap I'll be your best friend.

When you say rear end, do you mean LSD?
Old 10-18-06, 08:08 AM
ricomr
Rookie

I wish that Aristo was green because i could have put the rust-free doors on... (I can't bring myself to put silver doors on a green car) and that would be correct, a LSD.

http://www.shouri-motorsports.com/

Last edited by ricomr; 10-18-06 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-18-06, 08:14 AM
Kaiser
Racer

How much for the LSD? Is that a whole pumpkin?
Old 10-18-06, 08:22 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i guess im the only one that voted... so i say keep it and its got alot of potential.... and it sounds like its minor things just body work but with a lil bit of TLC that car will be in top notch shape and your gonna be glad if u keep it
Old 10-18-06, 08:40 AM
ricomr
Rookie

It's the whole pumpkin and I just called Chris over at Shouri for a price, he said $600 shipped.
Old 10-18-06, 08:46 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Are we sure it's the LSD? The Aristo came with both open and LSD. The clip I got came with the exact same diff as the GS and it was quite a let down.

Man, where were you yesterday before I bought the Torque Converter.
Old 10-18-06, 08:53 AM
ricomr
Rookie

Do you know if there's a number on the diff that indicates it's limited slip? I'll have him check for sure.

And yesterday I was thinking about buying it myself... and I know i would/could use it if I did the GTE swap but I wasn't sure if I needed it now.

nyAristo - Thanks, I love the car. I love working on it.

BUT, does anyone know where my idle should be at? Like when starting up and then when the car is warm?
Old 10-18-06, 09:25 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Yes, the diff will have heat fins on the top and bottom I believe and the chassis tag will also indicate if it's a LSD.
Old 10-24-06, 03:02 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Hey man, i'm having the SAME exact issues as you...my theory is that it was built on a friday....and i mean EXACT same problems. Serp, trying to do the alt, rust, P/S pump, all 4 calipers and discs, needles too. I can't get my timing belt done because the pulley has a dread lock so a hole bunch of crap needs to to get replaced inorder to get that done. I just need the timing belt to snap so i can prove my stepdad wrong and they will hopefully pass me down their 98 volvo s70 . Yea, its sucks ***** but i paid 7200 for my car wit 96xxx...now 110xxx and a 95. Oh well, i love the car and don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. As much as i thought about it...keep it.

P.S. Oh yea, Rack and Pinion going out....u should probably check that...mine will be goin out soon.
Old 10-24-06, 06:06 PM
ricomr
Rookie

And here is a picture of my rust...

but I have yet to take a look at my timing belt, i guess i shouldn't be looking forward to that, but what else had to be replaced with it? I had a feeling the water pump but haven't looked into yet. The rack and pinion going out, what's that feel like?

I just got a replacement instrument cluster for $100 and so now i have a working speedo needle but the tach in this one is ready to go out. Lextech.org said they will do a red waterfall needle replacement for the GS and the pricing on their site was $99 I think... but if i sent the cluster to them I'd also have the backlights replaced with LED's

I love the car too, can't see giving it up at this point
Attached Thumbnails Opinions: What to do-dsc01067.jpg  

Last edited by ricomr; 10-24-06 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 06:27 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

I'm not sure exactly if this is a symptom of R & P goin out but my car vears to the left constantly....once in while it'll go straight but its a constant battle. I know its goin out because its leaking on one side *sigh*