GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 02:43 PM
Aristo94
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers?

do adjustable coilovers make the cars ride worse or will i still get the same smooth ride?? and where can i get a good deal on them or maybe just some lowering springs??
Old 11-16-06, 03:38 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Depends, there are coilovers suited for comfort and there are ones suited for race. The race engineered ones are generally much stiffer than comfort-spec type.

If you're looking into getting coilovers check with some of our vendors

http://www.tmengineering.net

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php
Old 11-16-06, 04:02 PM
nakedterro
Driver

In my experience, even the softest coilovers with the lowest spring rates will still ride noticeably firmer than the standard struts and springs. It's actually necessary, as once lowered, you need the firmer ride to stop from bottoming out on big bumps

Have to say though, I'm very impressed with my HKS LS+ Hypermax - I've had about6 different types of coilovers on various cars and these are by far the best compromise between ride and handling. If I didn't have 19"s with low profile rubber, I think I'd barely notice the change. But going from 16" standard to 19" low profile tends to have an impact on your ride comfort
Old 11-16-06, 04:59 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have some jdm coil overs, forgot what brand, and they're definitely stiffer compared to the RSR's springs i used to have. it still gives a good ride despite the car is not that low to the ground.
Old 11-17-06, 10:46 AM
gs300pnp

This question comes up often in various forums for all types of cars.

Buy the one that you will give you piece of mind. that is if HKS is going to make you have that warm and fuzzy gut feeling... get it! don't get Tien or JIC or any other brands.

IMO: If you're not racing, save your money and get lowering springs, they will be stiffer but will improve your handling. Yeah with the coilovers you can adjust damping but expect to bottom out if you set it for a softer setting. Kinda defeats the purpose. Adjustments are intended for the different race course and track condition (banking, hairpin etc...)

There's nothing worse than buying something that you'll later regret or wished you saved a few dollars more to get.
Old 11-17-06, 10:55 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Springs will not settle evenly and your rear passenger side will be higher than the rest of the car. With coilovers you can compensate by lowering the rear a lil more.
Old 11-18-06, 03:04 PM
Aristo94
Pole Position

hmmm well all of that helps out but as of right now i have stock tires and rims and just want to lower it enough so the car doesnt look like a rally car with like 3 in of space between the tire and the wheel well....so any suggestions on something thats not too expensive but can do the job?
Old 11-18-06, 05:46 PM
LexiFitz
Driver School Candidate

yea, I am in the same boat as Aristo. I used to just cut my springs but now that I have a GS I can't afford my underbelly to be smacking off the ground every time I go over a bump.

So what ya'll are saying is that springs will do me just fine since I'm not planning to race??

...but shiet, LexAristo has a good point about the damn back of my car being higher than the front...beh

I live in Toronto, can anyone tell me where I can get coilovers for like around the low 1'k??
Old 11-24-06, 03:56 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

yea, it does...

Thx Dood much appreciated!

Fits
Old 11-25-06, 07:37 AM
Aristo94
Pole Position

thanks! il start lookin into some springs then!
Old 11-25-06, 07:42 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very happy with my Racing Logic Hyper Drift coilovers. Despite the name they offer a very compliant ride if you set them up that way. They are damper adjustable from the top.. 4 full turns from soft to hard. And to set the height, the bottom of the shock body turns independent of the spring. With the dials set to 2 on the front and rear, my very picky wife (she hated the ride on my old HKS Hiper D's) had nothing bad to say about the ride.

These are the same coilovers that I drift on, and daily drive my car long distances too. In your budget in the low low $1000.00+ range.

my $.02
Old 11-26-06, 09:31 PM
Aristo94
Pole Position

hmmm....well being in college and no job...the springs are lookin more reasonable right now than the coils....but the coils sound like they allow for more options...
Old 11-27-06, 08:35 AM
gs300pnp

Default D2 Coilovers feedback

I had a chance to tweak the D2 coilovers from its lowest(stiff) to highest(softer) settings.

Lots of flexibility, for street definitely need to go towards the high setting so that you don't fly off your seat when you go over a bump.

When I put them in, the alignment on the car gets thrown off quite a bit, didn't have time for a wheel alignment and I can feel the wheel spin as it tried to hook. Also, still experimenting with height and load spring compression.

the highest setting is a firm ride but allows the wheels to absorb much of the road shock. IMO, it perfect for street.

I set it about mid-way and the car handles really well when you serpentine or taking small curves with slight banking on them. Allow the wheels to hook and not hop around.

Lowest setting will probably be good for straight runs ......that is.....on the Bonneville Salt Flats...

Overall, I’m pretty impressed with high quality materials and precision adjustments and overall fitment. The alloy is thick and high grade it can definitely take some abuse. For the money, it’s pretty good. As for longevity that remains unknown and would be dependent on the punishment you give it.

IMO, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the coilovers available for the 1st Gen. Its all a matter of costs, preference, and warranties and availability of replacement parts.
Old 11-28-06, 08:43 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the second gen flex w/edfc on my 1st gen. Love it