GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need Help and Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06 | 03:26 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Default Need Help and Advise

Hello. I am new to this forum. I just recently purchased a '96 GS300. I love this cars. I had been looking for a while and I finally found one. It is in great shape except for minor things etc. It has 136K and it runs exceptionally well. But here are the few minor issues:

*Today, I finally got to drive it for a while and noticed that when stepping on the gas slightly (e.g. bumper to bumper traffic and just moving slowly) the car jerks a little as its swithing to another gear, But you can really feel the jerk. I am just concerned that it is a transmission issue. Would a good tranny fluid flush would solve this issue? local LEXUS dealer is charging $200 bucks for tranny service (geez!) is that sound right?

* second, while driving.....you could actually hear the engine noise inside (all windows close) It is louder than normal sounds like I'm on a flight (buzzing sound) I been trying to look for the source possibly exhaust leak or something?

Other than that car is awesome. It is two tone pearl white with the chrome stocks.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-06 | 03:37 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

I would guess it's ur exhaust...

As for the tranny flush, you better get use to it...

I live in Toronto, CAN and the Lexus dealers take you to the cleaner every time you step in the door...but I guess that goes for any high end car

On the bright side, if u bought a BMW or AUDI u would be spending alot more time at the repair shop and less time on the road so enjoy...
Old 11-28-06 | 03:48 PM
Kaiser
Racer

The buzzing noise could be the motor mounts or trans mount. I had the same issue and thought it was exhaust. Until I swapped the motor and found out how shot they all were. Especially the trans mount.

Have you checked the trans fluid yet? With the car full warmed up, pull the trans dip stick with the engine running and check the level two or three times for consistency. Add if necessary, drive and see if it's improved. If the fluid is very dark color do NOT flush it. Drain the pan, add 2-3 quarts you drained and drive it a couple thousand miles. Drain the pan, add 2-3 quarts you drained and drive it a couple thousand more miles. Repeat until the fluid is back to the normal color.
Old 11-28-06 | 04:01 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

I will check the trans fluid and will follow your advise. It will only do it on the very beginning when car is start to move slowly. Just worried that the tranny will get worse and will need to be replace. Hope not!!!

Thanks again for the advise. If anyone else has any feedback pls I need all advise I can get. Thanks All.
Old 11-28-06 | 04:53 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

just checked trans fluid.....looks good and clean. Not sure if i still go with flushing it. Any thoughts?
Old 11-29-06 | 02:42 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Okay...I dropped off the car at the LEXUS dealer and had a tech test drive it. I was advised that it is a possibility of transmission issue, not bad yet but the may stay this way or may get worse. Damn, I just got this car and didnt really noticed the jerking until I test drove more and got stuck on a bumper to bumper traffic. Because it only does it on very slow movement and slight tap on the gas pedal. Dealer will hook it up on a computer to diagnose further and it cost $99 bucks.

As far as the buzzing noise, tech advised will check on the engine and transmission mounts, and possibly exhaust leaks.

Anybody has faced similar issues?
Old 11-29-06 | 03:38 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Yes, me. Welcome. When goin up hill at lower speeds inbetween 10-20 in second, and then it has to down shift, its a rough jerk. Also, when the car is cold, sometimes it hesitates (2 3 seconds) to pop into gear after putting it in reverse and then same for OD.

About your exhaust. Is the noise coming from the front of the engine?? My mechanic found that the problem. I think it was a flange...not exactly sure.

Good luck

Last edited by Xeeeeeem; 11-29-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-29-06 | 03:51 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

the noise sounds like coming from the front, just below the shift gear. I'm a bit positive that it's exhaust leak or maybe the transmission mounts are shot and its causing it to vibrate and create this buzzing sound. I will see tomorrow when I get a call from the dealer......hopes nothing too expensive!
Old 11-29-06 | 04:04 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Oh and also.......anyone knows a good used Lexus parts dealer in case I need to search for a used good working transmission? I been searching around the net and damn this things are hard to find....especially 96-97 models since they are 5spd auto. I guess they are hard to come by? Im already planning a back up plan in case I need one.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-29-06 | 06:43 PM
Kaiser
Racer

www.toyotaandlexusparts.com
Old 11-30-06 | 08:50 AM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Just got a call from the LEX dealer and I cant freakn believe what they are saying:

-need to replace engine mount and transmission mount
-need new transmission
-both front left and right ball joints are messed up and in need of replacement asap
-something about a seal because oil is dripping on the timing belt
-and more bunch of crap!

They are telling me it will cost $6600 to fix everything!!! what the f---!

Im not even sure if I believe all of these......any suggestions what to do next? damn, I cant afford to fix all these! if you see the car you wont even believe that it will have these problems. Clean carfax and everything. I think I am going to get a second opinion. Let me know you all thoughts.....please.
Old 11-30-06 | 02:51 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Are you mechanically savvy? You could fix all that stuff you listed for about $850 in parts.

Engine mounts L & R = $200
Trans mount = $65
Decent used trans = $250
Front lower ball joints = $270
Valve cover seal most likely = $20
Trans fluid = $45
Old 11-30-06 | 06:42 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

I am pretty mechanically savvy and I would like to fix it myself, but I am having difficulty finding the parts that cheap you listed. Wow! $250 for a tranny? I was quoted $1200 for one. Is it because 96-97 comes with 5spd auto and they are alot more expensive? If you could pls let me know where you found those prices is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-06 | 07:26 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 200000

Thats not true, the 96-97 come with a 4spd. At least my 96 has a 4spd, I dont care what anyone else says..Ive counted.
Old 11-30-06 | 10:27 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

www.rockauto.com
www.overnightautoparts.com

Also, since you just bought the car, i don't know much about this but i believe theres lemon protection thru carfax and lemon protection thru a lawyer depending on where you buy the car (dealer vs. personal sale). Look into that. What the dealer is suggesting is pretty bogus. Good luck

Quick Reply: Need Help and Advise