GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Catalytic Converter Issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 07:45 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Catalytic Converter Issue!!!

Hello everyone! got a '96 and took it to an exhaust shop to replace exhaust gaskets due to minor exhaust leaks.... just found out when they took off the secondary piping with the cat that both the primary catalytic converter ann secondary are busted and in need of replacement ASAP! especially the primary cat (1 piece connected to the exhaust manifold) it is pretty messed up inside.

My question is.....what is the cheapest way to replace these? I thought the primary is designed to last. Exhaust place advised me that I can only get the replacement at the LEX dealer and they cost an arm and a leg!!!

Anybody know where I can get a aftermarket replacement at reasonable price? anyone ever replaced theirs?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-10-06, 01:14 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey is yuor car running louder then usual. Like can you hear it sort of through the armrest area? Because i think i have an exhaust leak or somethings up with the cat and im trying to find out what.
Old 12-10-06, 02:32 PM
Kaiser
Racer

I have a spares I'll pratically give you. I need something for the effort of driving an hour round trip to get it. Shipping will be pretty expensive. What I suggest is getting an EXERD header for like $300 and then have a good aftermarket cat welded in. It will be louder with that set up but more efficient and cheaper.
Old 12-10-06, 02:36 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...that is exactly what I'm experiencing. Make sure you do all your troubleshooting from expecting the trans mount, engine mounts, then check your exhaust gaskets. Because a broken trans mount or engine mounts can cause some noises as well.

I replaced the exhaust gaskets and it did solve the exhaust leak, but upon taking off the secondary piping, saw the cats were all out. Car still a bit louder due to this. But these cats are not cheap! so be prepared to spend some $.
Old 12-10-06, 05:19 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BIPPUthis!
Hello everyone! got a '96 and took it to an exhaust shop to replace exhaust gaskets due to minor exhaust leaks.... just found out when they took off the secondary piping with the cat that both the primary catalytic converter ann secondary are busted and in need of replacement ASAP! especially the primary cat (1 piece connected to the exhaust manifold) it is pretty messed up inside.

My question is.....what is the cheapest way to replace these? I thought the primary is designed to last. Exhaust place advised me that I can only get the replacement at the LEX dealer and they cost an arm and a leg!!!

Anybody know where I can get a aftermarket replacement at reasonable price? anyone ever replaced theirs?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Just take it to a shop that doesn't care if you have cats, lol
Old 12-10-06, 06:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll try to add my advice.

I am a Floridian in Mexico with my RX300. OEM precats gone (bad gas) and an OEM cat (road debris) and now just have straight pipe and a 3 way Magnaflow High Flow Cat. I took my RX300 in for voluntary testing to get an emissions sticker (allows one to drive every day here in Mexico City) and PASSED and they are strict on the limits here.

In addition, no check engine lights despite evem widening out the exhaust piping for more performance.

Florida doesn't have testing anymore, but even then I hope that it will give you piece of mind that if you stick just a high flow in there, you should be okay.

Busted exhaust gaskets can make a nasty rattling, I have had that issue, too.
Old 12-10-06, 08:42 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

well my car isnt crazy loud but it was louder than usual now when i accelerate. The funny thing is my car became louder after i got my harmonic balancer replaced at the DEALERSHIP. but its too late to complain about it....dam. I hope it isnt anything major but it isnt even that loud and i only hear it during accelerating hard.