GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

2JZ Header....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 08:35 PM
7Cain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZ Header....

Has anyone here tried the MVPMotorsports long tube headers (formerly made by Xerd). They are advertising a 17whp gain. I imagine some difference in the tone as well, perhaps even a bit more rasp. I will find out soon enough, I should get it tomorrow. On a sad not, my back window fell off the track just in time for the winter storm. So for now I'm that guy who has blue painters tape holding the window up and sealing the gap. Oh the shame! I also have an oil leak, I replaced the valve cover gaskets and there is still a leak on the intake side of the motor. I think it might be the oil pressure sensor below the lower intake manifold can't tell for sure though. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Old 01-17-07, 08:40 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

17whp would be nice..but why waste the 500 dollars on a N/A part when I could spend the 500 on a turbo, thats just me though, if your lookin to stay N/A, sounds good. Blue painters tape sucks, sorry bout that, cuz I know its cold as ice here in Texas.
Not sure about the oil leak, but depending on where its coming from it could even be the filter itself.
Old 01-17-07, 08:59 PM
7Cain
Driver

This motor has 225k miles on it, but I will get another one to turbo later, I've decided to wait on the turbo upgrade for now. I want to take my time with a new motor. Hopefully this leak will be minor.
Old 01-18-07, 08:10 PM
7Cain
Driver

Default Got it.....

Ok, first off. Construction looks nice, welds are clean, tubing looks good, nice bends. I noticed, however, that the bungs for the O2 sensors on the new header are screw type (not the flanged type that comes with our U.S. cars). So I can't install this piece until I change my O2 sensors. Any recomendations?

Thanks in advance,

Cain
Old 01-18-07, 08:12 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Bosch FTW. They are a little more expensive, but worth it, they last a lil longer.
Old 01-19-07, 06:41 PM
7Cain
Driver

Hey Abear, how many wires do you have on the Bosche O2 sensor. I've got 4, but only 1 on the original O2 sensor. What do I do?
Old 01-19-07, 06:51 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

What year do you have? Ill go check my wires in a second, I dont remember how many there were, but I think it was 4.

EDIT: Yeah, its 4. I have a 96' though, 2 O2 sensors before the CAT and 1 after, Im not sure what the wire count is on the one after, its too cold and wet to check, and Ive never changed it. As far as, what to do, I would return the O2 sensor, and maybe just get one from Lexus. What it looks like is you bought one for a OBD2 car and you probably have a OBD1. Im not sure if Bosch makes one for OBD1, I guess autozone or where ever you got that one will know.

Last edited by Abear; 01-19-07 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-19-07, 07:58 PM
7Cain
Driver

I have a '93. I can't use the factory O2 sensors becuase they are flanged, my header takes screw type. I think I need different sensors.
Old 01-19-07, 10:22 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Bosch may make one with single wire, you should check their site, or an autoparts site.
Old 01-19-07, 11:27 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a note. All of those headers are all made with the newer VVTi 2JZ motors in mind(more specifically the IS300). Thus they have the screw in o2 sensors.
Old 01-20-07, 02:30 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Just a note. All of those headers are all made with the newer VVTi 2JZ motors in mind(more specifically the IS300). Thus they have the screw in o2 sensors.
True. I know they make other O2 sensors though, the only thing is if he has to order it online he will have to wait, and I know that pain.
Also, I think MVP is doin it like if you want one for a Supra/SC/GS they will cut and weld the right flange on I guess.
Old 01-20-07, 03:51 PM
7Cain
Driver

Default O2 sensor problem solved...

I found the right type but they don't list them for our car. It's a Bosch 11027 and it's one of the most common sensors out there. Not only that but they only cost 20 bucks a pop! I got more than 110 dollars back after the purchase.

Fitment, is an issue however, I had to slot two of the wholes on the flange because of allignment problems. Also two studs needed to be removed from the block in order to slide the header on. Once bolted to the motor, I noticed that it seemed a little shorter than the original unit. Sure enough, the exaust flange is 4 inches away! well, I loosen all the hangers and even though I made the 4"s the angle is way wrong. Damnit! Now I have to wait till monday to drive to my muffler shop and slice/weld a new section in.

Moral of the story is to make sure you have a lift and welder handy when doing this kind of mod, if not, take it to a professional.

Man I hope I don't get a ticket on the way to the shop, cause it's as loud as all wholey get out! I leave for work at 7am, I know my neighbors are going to love me.
Old 01-20-07, 06:04 PM
shoaf213
Lead Lap

I have the Xerd header, when I had mine installed I also got custom mandrel bent 2.5" pipe and new mufflers. I can tell you that you'll prob be pretty disappointed. I noticed almost NO difference in power (17 WHP my @ss!), but she's loud as hell. I guess if that's your thing it's good, it's not mine. I added a 2nd resonator and my **** is still way too loud for my taste.
Old 01-24-07, 07:52 PM
7Cain
Driver

Hey Shoaf, have you done any tuning to your mixture? Because I lost serious power, I'm running way lean and I don't think my ECU will be able to compensate. Waiting on wideband and fuel tuner so I can see what the h3ll is up.

Yeah, it's loud! Too loud with my N1 muffler (although have 3" plumbing all the way back does'nt help) A bit ricey, I'm considering a baffled muffler to help with the sound. Did you have to go through the same sensor situation I did?
Old 01-26-07, 04:53 PM
7Cain
Driver

Default Let me broaden the question....

Does anyone have any recommendations for fuel tuning gear? I've seen loads of product advertisement but I'd like to hear a testimonial or 2 from some forumites. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2JZ Header....