GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

starter going...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 07:20 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter going...

Hey guys, my starter has been giving em problems for about 2 weeks now. What happens is when I turn the key all I hear is a click and I have to try about 2-3 times before it starts. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any idea how long before it dies completely on me.

Thx in advance,
Steve
Old 01-31-07, 08:34 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXusFiTs
Hey guys, my starter has been giving em problems for about 2 weeks now. What happens is when I turn the key all I hear is a click and I have to try about 2-3 times before it starts. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any idea how long before it dies completely on me.

Thx in advance,
Steve
I had the same problem. I picked up the soleniod rebuild kit for 14 bux and once the starter was removed ... it took about ten minutes to rebuild. Its hit and miss with how long till it dies completely. Could be today could be tommorow.
Old 02-01-07, 02:13 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Mine was acting pretty funny, would take forever to not get a click, but now its fine. I didnt do anything, I wish I had the time and money to get a new one, but I dont. I think the cold weather we got could have been messin with it..it got pretty cold here in Houston.
Old 02-01-07, 06:31 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Since your way in the cold, i'd do it asap. Mine did that for about 2 weeks, then it got warmer outside and it was fine but then the cold hit and it did it again. ITs very annoying i can understand but i would do it Immediately. MY starter went out right when i bought the starter online in my mechanics garage. It kept turning over even after it was on. Good luck

P.S. One thing I would check is there is a black wire going to the battery. Make sure its clamped on tight. I noticed mine was very loose but i didn't catch it in time.
Old 02-01-07, 07:27 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Thx guys 4 all ur feedback...and I have noticed that I have more trouble starting when the car is cold. I'll check the black wire today and if that dosn't work I'll try the rebuild kit or a new 1 altogether. Other than that i'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it last until I get the problem resolved!
Old 02-05-07, 06:07 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Bah... I checked all the wires and nuts that connect to the starter and they are all touching with no corrosion at all...so I guess it's the starter...soooo there goes $200...Thx for the help guys
Old 02-05-07, 06:22 PM
gs300pnp

I have a similar symptom but its hard to pinpoint. I have 3 spare starters and Ive swapped all three and same issue so that elimates the starter in my case.

Here are some possiblities... no specfic order...just all related

shifter position sensor

netural safety switch around the break pedal

your steering wheel -auto up/down

your ignition key itself and how it fitting into the ignition key.. is it all the way in? do you have other heavy keys pulling down on the key?

Check the ignition key slot itself make sure the wires is not shorting or loosely connected.

Electrical moisture. (cold, heat = condensation)

The battery terminals are they tightly clamping? do you post need to be cleaned?

Here's the killer and will be hard to find... floating ground somewhere.

I keep a log and when this happens I review, assess and log for that day. Seems overkill but hey.. better to find the issue before it gets worse and cause you to get stranded somewhere.

My suspison in my situation is the ignition itself and poor wiring contacts.
I've check but the problem will go away for a while and then out of no where will happen again and then go away again. Drives me nuts!
Old 02-06-07, 08:23 PM
xsbc63x
Rookie

im having the same problem here in wisconsin, its been in the - degrees all last week, which was wierd cause it started doing it then it stopped for a week now it clicks 3-4 times when cold in the morning before finally turning over. i checked
battery cables at the battery and all is well, ill prolly just replace the starter cause i only have a prolbem when it is cold, once it is started and i drive it then its fine so id say only after it sits for 8+ hours it does it.
anyone have any idea how bad it is to replace a starter on a 98 gs400?
Old 03-04-07, 11:26 PM
VIPdaily
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone actually do it themselves? or have a diy? i need to replace mine soon
Old 03-05-07, 07:51 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VIPdaily
anyone actually do it themselves? or have a diy? i need to replace mine soon
I did it myself, what do you need to know ? Disconnect the battery.
When you crawl under the car you'll see the starter. Take out the bolts. Pull the soleniod wire off. Pull the battery cable off. Then either replace with the new unit or if your rebuilding it. Pull the cover off the soleniod, replace the contacts. Replace the soleniod cover and reinstall. I dont have pix but once your under the car its pretty intuitive.
Old 03-06-07, 12:06 AM
VIPdaily
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EG8
I did it myself, what do you need to know ? Disconnect the battery.
When you crawl under the car you'll see the starter. Take out the bolts. Pull the soleniod wire off. Pull the battery cable off. Then either replace with the new unit or if your rebuilding it. Pull the cover off the soleniod, replace the contacts. Replace the soleniod cover and reinstall. I dont have pix but once your under the car its pretty intuitive.
So if im under the car, it should be really easy to get to correct?
Old 03-06-07, 08:25 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

It is easy to get to. I did use/need a 10" extension with a cv at the socket end.