GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Brake experts! Need replacement calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 02:58 AM
nakedterro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some Grex Alcon 4 pots with 335mm rotors coming shortly. Gotta be better than the standard 2 potters
Old 02-09-07, 06:40 AM
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MIC123321
for the ls calipers, they fits the stock gs size rotors, just for the fronts, how about the rears?
i dunno if the LS calipers will fit on the Stock GS rotors, but to be on the safe side im using LS Rotors too. if you go with this Mod. here is what i had to do.

cut the heat shield off, bolt the LS Rotor alot bigger then the Stock GS, when bolting the LS caliper it will not clear because the Tie Rod Bolt will be in the way. what i did was grind down a corner of the caliper and grinded down the tie rod bolt to clear the caliper... then its a straight bolt on. now it works alot better then the stock brakes! i had them on my SC and now i have them on my GS!
Old 02-09-07, 09:42 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by Abear
Show-off!
Nah, haha, they look good. Wish I could afford me somethin like that right now.

hehee. I have nothing but pictures to show examples of left to show since I don't modd anymore.
Old 02-09-07, 09:43 AM
Wald GS

The ls400 calipers look really good if you have the calipers polished.
Old 02-09-07, 10:28 AM
El Captain
Lead Lap

why wouldnt you polish and paint them Gold or what ever i was thinking purple! Man i need Callipers too! Well i only need pads right now but i have always wanted to do this modd any ways so i want to find a solution fast! but i found this and i now there was one like this for the LS brakes also.
http://www.lextreme.com/suprabrakeupgrade.html
Old 02-09-07, 10:37 AM
El Captain
Lead Lap

now this site is saying that the TT is a great upgrade for the LS ! So why would we want LS ? LOL theres is always a opposition!
http://www.lextreme.com/lsbrake.html
Old 03-05-07, 09:54 PM
gs300pnp

TRD makes another caliper that is pretty big. I know that Stoptech makes it specfically for TRD. I've seen these on various toyota rides like the TRD Matrix.

They also look similar to the newer generation LS400 but cannot get anyone locally to confirm if the TRDs are the same as the LS400/LS430's.

Anyone know or have attempted to install the TRD's yet?

MKIV TT owners who switch over have mixed feedback, some regret spending big bucks for aftermarket brake systems and wish they kept the TT's while others who upgrade to aftermarket brakes swear less fade, stop's on a dime and highly recommend the upgrade.

Whats hard to tell is whether those who swear by the aftermarket brakes are using much larger rotors, ceramic rotors and/or using brake biasing to improve braking overall.

I'm going to try the TT's first. Later, this summer, I'm also going to see if local Toyota dealer will work with me and try the TRD's.
Old 03-05-07, 10:00 PM
gs300pnp

yes sir!! LS400 Calipers! ARE they way to go!...Bolts right up

Did you remove the brake shield that directs cool air to your brakes?

Overal, any issues with brakes heating up?

the TT upgrade suggest removal of the shield that directs air to cool the brakes. SC3/400 owners who I know and performed the TT upgrade highly recommend getting/keeping the shield and their fix is to get the TT's and mod them slightly for fittment.
Old 03-21-07, 09:57 PM
dbltakegs3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brakes

talking about brakes. Do any of you guys know what the RCA spacer is? Is any
1st gens using it?

Last edited by dbltakegs3; 03-22-07 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-22-07, 05:31 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
nope where did u hear this from ... all u do is push back the plate or cut them off , either way unless u get 5mm spacers or u have the rims to clear big brake kits anything with high disk (well 17's or better)

i had the Rodd millen's which is the TT's and now i have the LS400 which is alot lighter.

Bksc4 (frank) chime in and show them ur Ls calip.
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are we talking the LS brake caliper bolts directly in place of the GS caliper? YES YES I know the inner shield needs trimming just as it does for the supra brakes. Unsprung weight the LS brakes have to be better on a track than the Supra brakes? When it comes to polishing supra brakes do yourselves a favour don't bother....I've polished a set up and cannot find a laquer that will keep rust at bay, neither can other people I know have polished them. Wanna proove me wrong I have a set now in dry storage on its fourth repolish. Are the rod millen brakes basically supra brakes? They sure look the same but in walds case painted gold.
Old 03-22-07, 09:55 PM
Wald GS

Originally Posted by DBaristo
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are we talking the LS brake caliper bolts directly in place of the GS caliper? YES YES I know the inner shield needs trimming just as it does for the supra brakes. Unsprung weight the LS brakes have to be better on a track than the Supra brakes? When it comes to polishing supra brakes do yourselves a favour don't bother....I've polished a set up and cannot find a laquer that will keep rust at bay, neither can other people I know have polished them. Wanna proove me wrong I have a set now in dry storage on its fourth repolish. Are the rod millen brakes basically supra brakes? They sure look the same but in walds case painted gold.
Yeah Rod Millen, Supra TT, and TRD all use the same calipers.
Old 03-23-07, 06:58 PM
jvai1012
Driver School Candidate

so the ls400 fronts work on the gs300's right?
i ask because on supraforums (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=420705) in the mkiv NA section they are talking about using the ls400 for their cars because they are lighter than the TT and cheaper.

my question to you guys is: can the REAR brakes be upgraded also on the gs300 or the mkiv supras NA using the ls400 brakes? is there an advantage?
Old 03-24-07, 11:33 PM
dbltakegs3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got another question. Some one is tryin to get me to buy raybestos calipers ls400 that are rebuilt. I never heard of Raybestos. Does anybody know if these are the real deal and will work, or are they some knock offs.

And my earlyer question. Does anybody know the about the RCA spacer? and any first gens using the RCA spacer?
Old 06-23-07, 11:46 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, it's as simple as that really,
bolt off the old units,
remove or modify the heat shield and,
install the ls400 brake units,
including the matching rotor disc,
making sure your wheels clear the larger calipers ?

Have I missed anything gents ??

Has anyone swopped the LS400 rear brake calipers
onto the rear axle of a GS 300 ??

Sorry if the question has been already answered,
as I couldn't see the answer on this thread...
Old 06-24-07, 07:51 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V300Graham
So, it's as simple as that really,
bolt off the old units,
remove or modify the heat shield and,
install the ls400 brake units,
including the matching rotor disc,
making sure your wheels clear the larger calipers ?

Have I missed anything gents ??

Has anyone swopped the LS400 rear brake calipers
onto the rear axle of a GS 300 ??

Sorry if the question has been already answered,
as I couldn't see the answer on this thread...
Im told the LS4 rears dont fit but the supra rears do. I cant find the post right now though.

Quick Reply: Brake experts! Need replacement calipers