GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Brake experts! Need replacement calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 08:25 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have TT brakes on my car and I love them. They stop on a dime.
Old 06-25-07, 05:45 PM
SeanB
Driver

I looked all through the Shea Stadium salvage yards, and I can't find any Toyota / Lexus vehicles with the 4 piston calipers, so I just replaced my front w/ Autozone rebuilds and repainted them black. I noticed there isn't any more clunking either.
Old 06-25-07, 06:00 PM
George.S.
Rookie

Hi.... im a newbie to this forum. this look like it was an old thread. but i aslo have caliper issue. everyone talkin about swapin from a LS400. im sorry if this was already answerd, but what year LS400?
Old 06-25-07, 07:49 PM
Kaiser
Racer

95 or newer.
Old 06-27-07, 12:44 PM
DBaristo
Driver

I was under the impression that the LS brakes only fitted the gen 2 GS?? is this not right?
Old 06-27-07, 03:19 PM
SeanB
Driver

What year 4 Runners can be used also? Have to keep my eyes open on Craigslist LOL! I won't find anyone parting out a GX470, they are too new and if you find one hit, they'll sell the car as a salvage car.
Old 06-27-07, 05:17 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys,

Quick question, I'm having an impossible time finding TT calipers and i'm not spending 400 per caliper form toyota... I need to know if I can use LS400 calipers with TT discs, I dont believe i can because they are too thick right?
Old 04-06-08, 04:36 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, I'm bringing this thread back. I just got a full set of Supra TT brakes, front and back for my 1st Gen GS. My question is what to do with the dust shield? I don't want to remove it but do I only trim where the Supra TT calipers going to be at or elsewhere? My other solution is can I use the Supra TT dust shield if possible. What I mean is if I have the Supra TT dust shield, does it bolt on directly or need modification? Oh, what about the rear Supra TT brakes? Do I have to do the same thing? Any help would be appreciate. I know it's kinda sad that I have 93 Supra TT but don't want to remove the wheels and check it out, but rather ask here since I know it's one of the most popular mods for the 1st Gen GS and SC.
Old 04-08-08, 08:44 PM
2JZ147
Rookie

Originally Posted by suprawhite
Alright, I'm bringing this thread back. I just got a full set of Supra TT brakes, front and back for my 1st Gen GS. My question is what to do with the dust shield? I don't want to remove it but do I only trim where the Supra TT calipers going to be at or elsewhere? My other solution is can I use the Supra TT dust shield if possible. What I mean is if I have the Supra TT dust shield, does it bolt on directly or need modification? Oh, what about the rear Supra TT brakes? Do I have to do the same thing? Any help would be appreciate. I know it's kinda sad that I have 93 Supra TT but don't want to remove the wheels and check it out, but rather ask here since I know it's one of the most popular mods for the 1st Gen GS and SC.

Congrats on your purchase of the TT Calipers.

You can eyeball with some cutting shears and cut off what is need on the stock GS backing plate (dust shield). DO NOT cut off the cooling duct obviously, you don't have to cut out much.

You CAN use the Supra dust shield, but it will be labour intensive to remove the bearing from the hub (you need a press to press out the bearing, you may as well get new wheel bearings, seals, C-clips if you're going this route.

If you have any questions, post here or PM me.

I did the TT caliper upgrade on my Aristo a couple months back, stops great BTW.
Old 04-08-08, 10:23 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

2JZ147, thank you for your help. It's good to have someone with expierence on this mod to give advices vs. guessing what to do as you go along. As for the rear, is there anything I need to do vs the front? I search the forum, and found out the Supra TT rear does not fit for the 1 Gen LS because the length for bolts are not the same. What about our 1st Gen GS? Thank you once again.
Old 04-09-08, 06:28 PM
2JZ147
Rookie

Originally Posted by suprawhite
2JZ147, thank you for your help. It's good to have someone with expierence on this mod to give advices vs. guessing what to do as you go along. As for the rear, is there anything I need to do vs the front? I search the forum, and found out the Supra TT rear does not fit for the 1 Gen LS because the length for bolts are not the same. What about our 1st Gen GS? Thank you once again.
The rear TT calipers fit no problem. The rear caliper bracket bolts will be used to mount your caliper assembly. Don't worry about that, it's a straight swap. One Issue you may run into is the stock GS brake lines aren't long enough with the Supra caliper. So, get some Stock TT brake lines or in my case I got some SS MKIV lines. You may find that the front lines may be too long, and may rub on the sway bar, get some zip ties and tie them up so they aren't all over the place but at the same time you don't tie too much up to where they start to bind or stretch.
Old 04-09-08, 11:43 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Thank you once again 2JZ147. It's good to hear that the rear TT calipers fit with no problem. I guess the toughest would be the front due to requires shaving the dust shields. With all the infos in this thread, I'll try to put on my GS sometime next week. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly. If there's anything else I need to know, please inform me now so I don't have to go through other people mistakes.

Last edited by suprawhite; 04-10-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 05:38 PM
2JZ147
Rookie

That's how you learn though, heh. Good luck!
Old 04-10-08, 07:05 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Nah... I'm going to be like Toyota and Lexus. I'll learn from other people mistakes hehe
Old 04-21-08, 09:38 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Well, I tried to do the swap today, but no luck I found out late that my 18" L-Tuned wheels does not clear the Supra TT front calipers. After hours of jacking up the GS, loosen all bolts for the calipers, removing all four wheels, and shaving one front driver side dust shield, I have to put all back due the front wheels won't clear. I was going to shave the front passenger side dust shield also, since I was going to stick with the modification. I was thinking of doing the rears for today and finish up the front some other time, but after four hours in the sun by myself doing this project, I was too exhausted and my body was in pain, especially my hands for trying to loosen all the bolts. Thank God, I have the tools to for it. My recommendation for this project is to do it in the shop where you can work standing, not bending down as I did. Either way, I'll try to finish this project up. I have to, especially seeing the Supra TT calipers on my GS for a short time. At the moment, I'm planning to go with spacers, but ultimately, I'm going to find wheels that will clear it so show off the Supra TT calipers.

Last edited by suprawhite; 04-21-08 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake experts! Need replacement calipers