GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

supra coilovers on 1st Gen GS - has anyone had success

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 11:39 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default supra coilovers on 1st Gen GS - has anyone had success

I have already mounted the front and will attempt the rear this week. I know the rears are going to be a little more difficult and will require some cutting and welding(no problem).

Just wanted to know if anyone has successfully done this before?

I will probably do a writeup with pictures for the rear. The front just needed a little grinding on a metal spacer. I need to compare to supra/sc300/sc400 mounts to so if those can be used in the front to elimiate any grinding.
Old 03-11-07, 11:43 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
I have already mounted the front and will attempt the rear this week. I know the rears are going to be a little more difficult and will require some cutting and welding(no problem).

I will probably do a writeup with pictures for the rear. The front just needed a little grinding on a metal spacer. I need to compare to supra/sc300/sc400 mounts to so if those can be used in the front to elimiate any grinding.
Do a search, a former member eric gs300 was able to do it successfully.
Old 03-13-07, 12:04 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprRunner

The rears should drop in. I used a second gen gs3 setup on my car. Fronts bolted in. The rear lowers I modded. The rear uppers I made an adapter plate. After the fact I was told the lower supra mount and the upper pillow ball are the same as the 1st gen
Old 03-14-07, 02:59 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so what you are saying is supra suspension will fit properly I'm guessing you mean mk4 coilovers right?
Old 03-14-07, 03:09 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mk4's and the Aristo 1st gens. are the same part #'s too but my Tein CS's are for the aristo 91-97 and they were the same as the Mk4's
Old 03-14-07, 03:13 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

We will see what happens when SuprRunner get his stuff in.
Old 03-16-07, 03:31 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

wow, a lot of different views here.

I was always under the impression that the fronts fit, but the rears were too short. There wouldn't be any problem with fitment other than just too short.

Anyway, this is what "I" found out.

Yes, the fronts fit just fine.

The rears work with no modification as long as you want to run no larger than stock tires, and don't go over a single bump. There is absolutly NO up travel. They would make a lot of noise and could possibly do some damage if you drove on a bumpy road for too long.

So here is what I did:

I cut the lower mounts off the old factory struts, and welded them onto the lower bracket of the coilovers. This made fit PERFECT since it added about 2 inches to the lenght of the coilover and that is about how short they are.

With this, I lowered the coilover all the way, and it will most definatly be too low and will probably rub my 285's.

Oh, by the way, these coilvers did not come with tophats. I use the oringal GS300 ones.

If I didn't want to weld onto the coilovers, I could build an aluminum adapter plate to drop the tophat down 1-2". That would work pretty good.
Old 03-16-07, 03:43 PM
zazzn
Instructor

nyaristo.. now I'm lost so the mk4 and aristo's are the same yet you have to modify them to make them fit.
Old 03-16-07, 03:49 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Well, on mine, the did fit....but like I said, there isn't enough uptravel. I had to lift up the control arm 2 inches to put a bolt through it. That means that I would loose 2" of uptravel. Probably not the best idea unless it is a show car only.
Old 03-16-07, 07:35 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn
nyaristo.. now I'm lost so the mk4 and aristo's are the same yet you have to modify them to make them fit.
thats not what i said READ my post
Old 03-17-07, 06:06 PM
zazzn
Instructor

ny i just did... so why are they listed as the same part number then... thats strange so we need a longer rear... hrm.

WHat about GS300 gen 2 coilovers?
Old 03-17-07, 10:20 PM
hipertek
Driver School Candidate

this sounds really ghetto...

why dont you buy specific made coilovers for your car rather than retro fitting or custom fitting coilovers not meant for the car?

this is ridiculous.
Old 03-18-07, 08:23 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zazzn

WHat about GS300 gen 2 coilovers?
Read my reply #4

Originally Posted by hipertek
this sounds really ghetto...

why dont you buy specific made coilovers for your car rather than retro fitting or custom fitting coilovers not meant for the car?

this is ridiculous.
The reason I didnt was because I was told they didnt make the tein flex for the 1st gen. Later I found out that wasnt true but it was 1400bux and a three month wait. I got mine off a member for 700bux.
Old 03-19-07, 02:51 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wald GS
Do a search, a former member eric gs300 was able to do it successfully.
I bought his coilovers and they work great BUT since the strut on a MKIV is shorter front and specially in the rear, u can bottom out fairly easy and can bend the strut. Also, welding has to be PERFECT in order to provide a safe ride. I was thinking of re-doing this with MEGAN Racing coilovers for a MKIV but for about 200 more you can get a decent set of the Tein Flex coilovers, so to me all that work is not worth it. BTW, I resold my coilovers and got tanabe springs because they where way too noisy and way to STIFF. I will use coilovers on my D1 1st gen project though, JIC's or SARD if I get to be baller enough

Last edited by jmax.garage; 03-19-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-20-07, 10:04 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

yes, if you are going to do any welding, make sure it is done right.

I have been building my own off-road suspensions for years. Never had a failure.

Quick Reply: supra coilovers on 1st Gen GS - has anyone had success