GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

turbo leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 11:03 AM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default turbo leak

i was wondering if any body would have an idea of what could be happening, car runs normal, turbo boost just fine, but for a few days smoke started to pour out the exhaust system. I justed for leaks where i thought it could be at, then i ended up removing the down pipe and the back side of the turbo is filled with oil. Do any body have an idea if the turbo has a oil seal somewhere? thanks for the help, MIC.
Old 03-28-07, 11:20 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there are seals in the turbo and yours are shot. At the very minimum you need a rebuild. You should stop driving it in this condition. The oil can foul out your O2 sensor, I'm speaking from experience. Also, with it burning oil like that you can potenitally run low on oil and possibly cause engine/turbo damage. Is there a lot of shaft play?
Old 03-28-07, 12:18 PM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

nope, no shaft play, not much anyways. Do you think if the returned line was resticted would cause the oil to come out the back side? How much would a rebuild would cost anyways?
Old 03-28-07, 12:20 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a blown turbo to me I've had two. check for side to side play not just in and out. It is possible that the oil drain was obstructed but i would think that to be unlikely
Old 03-28-07, 12:25 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Yes a restricted drain line definately can cause oil to build up in the turbo. However if you are single which it sounds, and you used the stand earls line straight down you should have no issues. Unless of course you boost the almight hell out of it and then turn the car off real fast. That will coke up the oil in the drain and cause a puddle. Easy enough to check.
A turbo rebuild can be a range of prices depending on who does it. Expect a few hunderd dollars to go through it replace seals, rebalance and reassemble. I think it's a good excuse to upgrade that snail.

What size line do you have for a feed and is your turbo ball bearing?
Old 03-28-07, 08:50 PM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

the size of the turbo is a to4e turbo from turbonetics, i'm thinkin it's bb, i'm only running 10 psi, but for some reason when i have to stop really fast, the car does stall on here and there, maybe thats theproblem with the hot side of the turbo? i don't think it's a blown turbo, leaking maybe, like i said it still runs normal and boost just like it normally does and the oil level has been the same, hasn't gotten low or anything, not much shaft play at all? I did find another problem, my return line did have a tear in it and oil did get to my wastgate dump pipe thats connected to my down pipe, maybe thats one reason why oil is getting to the exhaust and the line is something like -4 for the return.
Old 03-28-07, 11:33 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

I know when my turbo went on my DSM all the oil came running out the exhaust.
Old 03-29-07, 07:54 AM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

yeah, but i don't have a ton of oil in my down pipe/hot side of the turbo, it's there but not much.
Old 03-29-07, 08:46 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Think about how hot your exhaust side gets. If you see any puddling in there at all, that is the oil that didn't get burned off. Any oil that makes a visable puddle on either side of the turbo is a BAD thing.

I've heard that if you are using a bb turbo and your feed line is larger than a -3 than that could be the issue as well.
Old 03-30-07, 10:39 PM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

so, yeah, you guys are right, i'm thinking the turbo is blown now, it starting to make funny noises and oil is coming out the compressor side now, another thing since it's a t04e-60 turbo, that makes my flange a t4, right? What do you guys think, rebulit or buy a new turbo?
Old 03-31-07, 12:05 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

thats a t4 flange! and why is it blown... its not BALL BEARING if thats what ( bb ) stands for ur turbo cant be blown u dont even boost the crap out of it ... worste case its a bad oil seal........ if the fins are wet on the exhaust housing side then its a bad seal... u gotta take it apart!........ its not blown if ur boosting

post pix up Mike!
Old 03-31-07, 12:08 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it out and send it for rebuild.
Old 03-31-07, 12:46 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
thats a t4 flange! and why is it blown... its not BALL BEARING if thats what ( bb ) stands for ur turbo cant be blown u dont even boost the crap out of it ... worste case its a bad oil seal........ if the fins are wet on the exhaust housing side then its a bad seal... u gotta take it apart!........ its not blown if ur boosting

post pix up Mike!
100,000 RPM and comprimised oiling. The shaft definately could be heat warped or warping which would still make boost until critical failure. That could make it a blown turbo. Stop driving it if you have any plans on saving that turbo.
Old 03-31-07, 04:56 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiser
100,000 RPM and comprimised oiling. The shaft definately could be heat warped or warping which would still make boost until critical failure. That could make it a blown turbo. Stop driving it if you have any plans on saving that turbo.
your right too kaiser but unless he smoking like crazy out the exhaust then... yes its blown, but he's not and oil is all over on the back housing then its def. the turbo seal....and as u said kaiser... MIKE STOPPPP DRIVING THAT CAR!! and take apart the turbo! get it rebuilt turbonetic's sell's turbo rebuild kits too or just send it to them to get rebuilt!!
Old 03-31-07, 07:07 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is easily blown, I have blown my turbonetics turbo twice in six months. It doesnt matter if it doesnt have BB. the seals around the shaft start to leak and that is considered blown.

FYI there is a company named majestic that can rebuild turbos, if turbonetics doesnt want to or cant do it.

Quick Reply: turbo leak