GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

tranny goes into nuetral after warm up? and works again once cooled down

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 12:44 AM
rysbrnr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down tranny goes into nuetral after warm up? and works again once cooled down

Anyone ever have this problem? My car runs fine (93 GS3 w/123k) but now after ~10 minutes of driving around, the car seems to go into neutral and won't go anywhere. I have to shut it off and wait a couple minutes then it shifts and drives fine for a few more minutes. I got her home and checked the tranny fluid and it is nice and red and doesn't smell burnt. What's going on? I recently bought the car and the previous owner said the tranny was starting to act up. I'm hoping its just a simple fix to get this thing going again. I personally don't think there's anything catastrophic going on inside the tranny because when it's cooled down, the car drives normal. I do notice now, when in PARK or NEUTRAL there's a "whirring" sound which goes away once it's in DRIVE or REVERSE. Any help would be great!
Old 04-08-07, 12:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you sure it's going into neutral? It could be that the transmission is slipping. Possibly the torque convertor.

I know many Acura CL-S (auto) that does the same. It drives an all of the sudden, you rev the engine but the transmission doesn't put the power to the ground, as if you're free-revving.

When my transmission fluid level was low, my torque convertor wouldn't do its job so it made a whirly noise too. I would seriously take a look at the torque convertor.
Old 04-08-07, 09:53 AM
rysbrnr
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
Are you sure it's going into neutral? It could be that the transmission is slipping. Possibly the torque convertor.

I know many Acura CL-S (auto) that does the same. It drives an all of the sudden, you rev the engine but the transmission doesn't put the power to the ground, as if you're free-revving.

When my transmission fluid level was low, my torque convertor wouldn't do its job so it made a whirly noise too. I would seriously take a look at the torque convertor.
Well, I'm not 100% sure its going in to neutral... but like you said the car does "free rev" after driving a couple of blocks. I will check the fluid level to see if it's topped off enough. Do you have to "bleed" air out of the hydraulic system in a auto tranny? If so, how? Maybe there's air in the torque converter from when the previous owner attempted a fluid change.

Since I'm new to the Lexus game, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problems I'm seeing. I hope it's a fairly simple fix... ie: fluid and filter, sensors/switches etc. I just can't see a bone stock 123k GS300 having a major tranny problem so soon in milage. I'm thinking maybe the previous owner was starting to have problems and changed the tranny fluid w/o new filter. On top of that, I think he might have just changed the fluid that drained and didn't FLUSH the system completely.

I hope someone here has had this happen to their car before and can provide some answers.
Old 04-08-07, 03:08 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Default re: Transmission

Hey I had the same problem three weeks after I turbocharged my car. The problem is the clutch ban in the transmission is gone. When the tranny shop pulled the clutch band out it was shot. The clutches where good but needed replaced.
Old 04-10-07, 04:34 PM
g00ch
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem. I had to get mine rebuilt.
Old 06-18-07, 12:05 PM
tx_gs3
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have anymore info on this problem. My 94 just started doing the same thing.