GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need advice with tranny removal (the 2 upper bolts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-07, 10:03 PM
rysbrnr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with tranny removal (the 2 upper bolts)

My tranny is slipping so I found a low mileage replacement. (93 GS300)

I've got all but 2 of the bell housing bolts pulled. The 2 bolts left are the ones on the top of the tranny. It's damn near impossible to get them out. I can't even see them nor do I even know what size they are, (probably 14mm or 17mm I'm guessing)

So far I've only removed the mid-pipe and used a 30" socket extension to get the other bolts out. What else should I remove?

I was trying to remove the tranny in this order:

1. bell housing bolts
2. torque converter/flex plate bolts
3. driveshaft
4. disconnect wiring/ shift linkage/ fluid lines
5. crossmember
6. rear tranny mount
7. transmission

Anyone here handy enough to give some good advice?
Old 05-23-07, 04:10 PM
rysbrnr
Rookie

C'mon guys, there's got to be at least ONE person with a 1st gen GS that has SOME technical inclination. With all these GTE swappers around I'm sure someone has pulled just the tranny by itself. What did you do to remove the two upper bolts in the transmission?
Old 05-23-07, 10:55 PM
phollero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rysbrnr
C'mon guys, there's got to be at least ONE person with a 1st gen GS that has SOME technical inclination. With all these GTE swappers around I'm sure someone has pulled just the tranny by itself. What did you do to remove the two upper bolts in the transmission?
See if the attached PDF helps. It at least answers your question about proper sequence of removal. I have not tried this but page 19 says to lower the transmission and then remove the bolts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
17.pdf (101.5 KB, 706 views)
Old 05-24-07, 08:46 PM
rysbrnr
Rookie

Hey thanks a million Phollero, That PDF was very helpful (TQ specs, bolt sizes, sequences). May I ask where you got that 1st Gen manual? I need the service manual badly since are a number of things I need to fix and the nearest Lexus dealer is 2 hours away. I did a search here but could only find the 2nd gen service manual PDF.

I had to remove that rear mount to angle the tranny down enough so I could get those upper bolts. The ****ty part is when loosening one of the tranny cooler lines the line twisted and now needs repaired or replaced.

Is tranny cooler line ONE piece from tranny to the front of the car?
Will I be able to remove/replace while the engine is still in the car?
Old 05-25-07, 02:56 AM
phollero
Pole Position

I got the service manual on eBay. If you do a search for GS300 Service Manual you'll see a few for the 1st Gen.

I just looked at my car and the tranny oil cooler pipe is one piece from tranny to the oil cooler as well as the return line. If you remove the engine under cover, you should be able to disconnect the lines at the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice with tranny removal (the 2 upper bolts)-radiator.jpg