Fog lamp bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 08:51 PM
bguild
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lamp bulb replacement

93 GS300 w/ 136k miles

Both fog lamps died almost simultaneously. Previous owner had all service done at Lexus and left me complete records. These were the original fog lamp bulbs folks... Absolutely amazing.

1) The plastic pieces next to the glass foglamp modules pry off delicately. There is a hook at the bottom of the plastic piece that extends into a white plastic hole in the fog assembly. Use a flat blade or a trim panel tool to flex the plastic, and at the same time pry up from the bottom. After a little effort, they bottom tabs should pop out. Be careful though...these plastics are brittle. After bottom tab comes out, you have to wiggle and pry the top. Eventually, it will pop off.

2) Now you will see the 2 completely rusted bolts for each fog lamp assembly. Mine were so rusted, the philips head was completely disintegrated once I took a screwdriver to it. So, I used a 7/64" drill bit to drill out the bolt heads. I was going to use a screw extractor to remove the rest of the bolt, but I found that the whole assembly more or less came undone with some light prying.

3) Unplug the electric connection. Push tab in with screwdriver and light pressure to pull both halves apart.

4) The speed nuts (4) of them, attaching the fog assemblies were junk because of the left over rusted bolt threads in them. I removed them, and used them for reference at the parts store, but they were dead. The interesting part is the stock speed nuts are actually speed nuts with bolts welded to the back. New speed nuts which you buy at the auto store do not need a bolt welded on the back.

5) The easy part is removing the H3 bulb. Just unscrew the back rubber protector, lift the metal gate holding in the dead bulb, and remove the dead bulb. Pull the connector and it will detach from the existing wiring. I used plyers for this because it allowed me to get a better grip. Save the white wire coverings, you can reuse them when you buy the new H3 bulbs.

6) Buy two new H3's. I wasted my money on new Silverstars (2) at $19.99 a piece, because I am impressed with the somewhat whiter light.

7) Install the new H3's. Do not touch the bulbs!! If you do, you'll be doing this again in a few weeks. Plug in the connectors, and reattach the back rubber protector.

8) Use # 8 speed nuts, and #8 matching screws to reattach the fog lamp assemblies. These can be found in the bolt section of your auto part store. The fog lamp assemblies have a tab on the left side. Fit in the tab first, then fasten the screws into the holes of the fog lamp assembly, and through the speed nuts. Reattach your plastic pieces by sticking in the bottom tab first, and then using light pressure to top in the top. You should here a slight click, which means you are good.

Did I miss anything? Good luck w/ your fog lamp bulb replacement!

Brian