GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

I Need A/c Help Asap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 12:20 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need A/c Help Asap!!!!

OK well whe i bought the car the A/C worked great ICE COLD, after about 6 months the clutch went out on the compressor, so i got another one from a junkyard and also replaced the reciever/dryer at the same time and it also worked great for a while, well 6 months later the compressor completely locks up on me so this past weekend i slapped on another one, now this last time after i installed it i noticed that it wasnt blowing very cold, just cool with a full charge and i also noticed a sort of gurgling/trickling sound from behind the dash I also noticed the high side line near the compressor was abnormally hot but i didnt have time to investigate into it at the time, now two days later my girlfriend is driving around and yep you guessed it the compressor locks up AGAIN!!! I believe that there is a restriction somewhere which caused the first clutch to go bad and the second and third to build up heat and lock up but i need help figuring out where to look.

Right now im at the end of my rope with this thing, ive spent a bunch of money and time on it and i still have no a/c, can anyone HELP ME!!! i dont want to just go out and buy a bunch of expensive parts and pray it works i need to get this thing fixed once and for all so i dont have to hear my girlfriend nag me about fixing it anymore.
Old 06-02-07, 12:50 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Junkyards are a no-no for things like this..you wanna make sure and get something with a warranty, that way, after you fix the problem, you coulda slapped a new compressor on for free.

As far as the problem, I would just say follow the line, make sure you didnt knock one loose when you hit a bump or something. If a line is clogged, I dont know what to say other than to take it to a mechanic and let them see whats up. Also, make sure you got the right compressor, there were 2 different ones for our car if Im not mistaken. Theres a number on the back, on a little plate, if you still have your old one, make sure the numbers are the same. Im not saying its the problem, but it could be.
Old 06-02-07, 08:20 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Sounds like there is debris in the lines. Like Abear said this is not a junkyard fix at this point. Compressors will keep dying one after another. I think you need the system flushed. Opinions will vary.
Old 06-02-07, 01:31 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are missing the point, there was nothing wrong with the compressors, SOMETHING ELSE is causing the compressors to go bad, and THAT is what i need help locating, i had thought that maybe the expansion valve needs replacing, what other parts could i check ?????(i dont think it has an orifice tube)
Old 06-03-07, 03:41 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Im not sure what else to check, but my point was, the A/C compressors you get outta a junkyard car arent gonna last you long. You will keep having to pay for new ones, and take the time out to put it in, I dont know about you, but my work week is pretty time consuming, and I need my car on the weekends so I can have fun so I dont go crazy the next week, lol.
Flush the system like Kaiser said. If everything flushes out clean, then maybe it is the expansion valve.
Old 06-03-07, 08:53 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. Look for my thread to find out. The problem fixer is this:
-DRAIN THE LINES.
-DRAIN THE LINES!
-DRAIN THE FRIGGING LINES!!!!!!!!

after that, make sure to vacuum the lines b4 the freon goes IN.
ARE YOU PUTTING PAG OIL?! You have to put about 7~8 oz of pag 150 oil. They sell at autozone for about 6-7 bucks. Make sure you get the kind that looks like a freon can, not the liquid bottle. Now, after you have the system flushed, vacuumed and with one can of oil, start filling it with freon. Before the system is full, do the second can of PAG oil (about 1/2) and you should be done. Now, MAKE SURE the compressor is not leaking THROUGH THE PULLEY. Do a UV leak test. Your problem sounds like either a clog or like your compressor is running while there is no freon causing the clutch to go bye-bye.

NOW, if you hear a whinning noise when the compressor is ON, i got bad news, it is your main pulley. The compressor is spinning irregularly and this causes the clutch to die. Been there. Worst nightmare ever after buying 2 compressors and about 150 on freon alone... but i learned something so now i am sharing it with you.
My .02 cents that actually cost me 1/4 of a 2jz jdm swap >="{