child seat teather locations

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 12:08 PM
thexad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default child seat teather locations

Hi,
I'm just about to buy a 1993 GS300, as I am needing a 4 door for my new baby. Although I am needing to know where the teather locations and mounting points are located for my car seat. (Sorry I could not find anything in the search. Sorry if i missed it, any links would be great.)
Old 06-06-07, 12:23 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Seatbelt and that's it.
Old 06-06-07, 12:27 PM
DBaristo
Driver

UM what tether points?? This car was made way before compulsory child seat fast clip in standards came about. Depending on the model of the seat they fit snugly enough and securely enough with the rear seat belts. I use mine on a regular basis with my nippers seat in it. In fact its the reason I ended up in an aristo as my mk4 supra was just a pita to get a nipper in and out of. For its day the GS model is a solid old motor, over 5 metres of metal on the road. I'd say its easily in the mercedes build quality of its era so a good solid safe car for kids.
Old 06-06-07, 07:04 PM
thexad
Driver School Candidate

thanks for that guys, that is just what i was looking for.
Old 06-07-07, 10:49 PM
squirrelyd
Driver School Candidate

graco makes a great system where you just belt in a base, and the seat locks into that (all you half to buy is extra bases, not car seats).....and it dosen't scream look i have kids because the whole seat is only in the car when they are the center rear belt works great with it.
Old 06-10-07, 12:42 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Originally Posted by squirrelyd
graco makes a great system where you just belt in a base, and the seat locks into that (all you half to buy is extra bases, not car seats).....and it dosen't scream look i have kids because the whole seat is only in the car when they are the center rear belt works great with it.
Yeah but thats only the infant carrier which only gets you to end of year one after that you need a fixed seat. Those clip into base systems from Graco are very good. If you get the whole system with the pram (i believe you call them strollers) the infant carrier seat clips into the pram as well as the car base so you don't have to keep taking the small infant out of the pram to put the wee darling into the car
Old 06-10-07, 07:18 PM
whatthe
Rookie

If you live in Canada, the tether is required by law (it's been that way for quite some time). I believe the US didn't make it mandatory in new cars until 2000. The tether is a secondary means of limiting forward travel in an accident. In Canada they have to design for 700mm forward travel. You could design an infant seat to get close or match this without the tether strap... but most without a tether strap do not match this. Also, if it was designed and tested for a tether strap and you don't use it, well... more travel in an accident. Canada has more stringent crash requirements for infant seats than most countries. We basically have to keep the kids in some kind of booster seat until they are 8? or X weight. Whereas kids are free to buckle up after a year in some countries.

If you legally need one, look on the rear shelf under the rear tray and then under the 'black' sticker towards the front of the rear shelf. If it's going to be any place it will be there. Toyota vehicles will come with a nut installed hidden under something on older models. After you find the nut, you just have to buy the anchor piece from Toyota. Again, if you are in Canada, some dealers will actually book you an appointment and install the anchor for free.
Old 06-11-07, 02:53 PM
DBaristo
Driver

OH OK its that simple then? If its not actually there then you could easily get one welded in there, In the grand scheme of things its gonna be easier than retro fitting an aristo engine to a gs300 lol.
Old 06-11-07, 08:17 PM
whatthe
Rookie

You can also use a big flat washer on the bottom of the tether anchor to distribute the forces to the metal that it's attached to.

I just went through this hassle with the Aristo and read through transport Canada garbage and talked to a few people at TC. Basically in case of the right hand drive Aristo, Toyota won't accept the liability and won't install one for you. However, as a parent I was told that you can install a tether location if you feel it is safe to do so. If you are looking at the GS300, this shouldn't be a problem for a canadian vehicle. Everything since September 1989 in Canada was supposed to of had a tether anchor hole drilled for the Canadian market.

In Canada, it really should be as easy as phoning your Toyota/Lexus dealer and asking them if they install for free (the ones I called would, but wouldn't install on vehicle not manufactured for Canadian market - Aristo).

Keep in mind that if you are in Canada, the cops can write you a ticket if you don't have one.

Last edited by whatthe; 06-11-07 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 02:19 PM
bmoss85
Driver School Candidate

im not 100% positive but i think i remember reading in my owners manual that you can purchase a kit from lexus. i need one to. i have a 1yr old and a new born