GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

MPG on an aristo? Who elese has horrible milage.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 03:31 AM
DBaristo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On supras bad mileage is usually down to the O2 sensor. Not quite sure as to the wisdom of fitting an unknown second hand item though??
Old 07-04-07, 09:30 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ok little better milage, replaced the air filter, and now got 400KM while beating it the first 3/4 of the tank and i still have 1/4 left.

So i think it's improving for sure. Wish it wasn't in boost at the slightest touch of the throttle though haha that kills the gas.
Old 02-03-12, 09:10 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

well, i just filled up after running my first full tank through my 93 gs. i got 380 miles to 16.45 gallons of gas. 23.1mpg. car has 260k miles on it, but i beleive the motor has been replaced at asome point and no idea on the mileage. my stock o2 sensors are 1 wire o2 sensors. so not wure why you guys have 3 wire sensors. even the aristo 2jzgte in my garage has a stock 1 wire o2 sensor. only mods to the car during this tank was the k&n cone filter and the apexi catback, though i did also install new plugs, wires, pcv valve and other maint items before i started driving it.

im installing a 3in pipe to replace the intake resonator tomarrow. and later i plan to replace the exhaust manifold and second pipe with a header and 2.5in pipe to the catback to eliminate the 3 cats. that should increase the mileage further. i do mostly highway driving back and forth to work though. and im on stock wheels/tires. before the header and exhaust is installed, i may go ahead and drill out the plug in the afm blocking the calibration screw and back it out some to increase the mileage. i know from running my standalone on my supra that i can cruise at 16.5afr no problem. i have a lex afm housing i thought of swapping on, but i prolly wont do that unless i go turbo. that with some 7mgte 440's i have should work good for a smallish single setup. and i would swap my aristo auto trans in with a shift kit if i go turbo. got to finish the 2jzgte swap on my mk2 supra first though.

edit: forgot to mention im running el cheapo 87 octane gas. no pinging. idk what the timing is set to as my timing light is at a friends house. i need to check it though.

Last edited by williamb82; 02-03-12 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-03-12, 01:31 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Default re

I am under the impression that the jdm aristo runs fat on fuel becuase the ecu is set up for a map sensor instead of a maf sensor like the gs300 in the states and also the tt supra's . the Map configuration is totally different then the maf set up.. Correct me if I am wrong but the maf works off of pressure transition with fuel and the map sensor works off of tps transistion. I think that is where the biggest difference in fuel is going to show up. If you have a aristo tt motor the best thing you can probably do is go to standalone system or a piggy back to tune the car respectively and bring the fuel milage up. I was just wondering if thats true what I just stated......
Old 02-03-12, 06:11 PM
Boosted1st
Rookie

Default Tuning for mileage

Have a 94 GS300 with a 94 2JZGTE swapped in from an Aristo. I was getting garbage mileage so I took a few steps.
1. Changed to a high flow cold air intake for the twins(stock twins, stock injectors)
2. Changed the plugs gapped them for my boost application.
3 Changed my O2 sensor to a new Bosch Unit.
4. Added a Wide Band 02 sensor AEM EUGGO
5. Added a Aeromotive AFPR and stainless lines.
6 Changed out all my VAC hoses to new...one at a time.
7. Checked the function of all my emissions sensors.
8. Tuned my AFPR to Idle/Cruise at 14.8 to 15.4
9. Installed Profec A
10 Installed Custom Y-Pipe and 94MM exhaust with single High flow CAT.

Now with my Profec set to 8lbs and keeping my foot out of it I get average of 23 MPG (Add Heavy right foot and that drops ALOT!). Steep initial time/money investment, but scheduled to make the money back in gas savings in about 6 months. Just my steps...they worked for me...maybe they might work for you. OH and all the parts I bought used so I saved there as well. Not trying to make a show car, just a nice good running car Think I have about 1200 tied up in parts, and my own labor, and I am cheap... I work for Beer
Old 02-03-12, 06:14 PM
Boosted1st
Rookie

Originally Posted by Boosted1st
Have a 94 GS300 with a 94 2JZGTE swapped in from an Aristo. I was getting garbage mileage so I took a few steps.
1. Changed to a high flow cold air intake for the twins(stock twins, stock injectors)
2. Changed the plugs gapped them for my boost application.
3 Changed my O2 sensor to a new Bosch Unit.
4. Added a Wide Band 02 sensor AEM EUGGO
5. Added a Aeromotive AFPR and stainless lines.
6 Changed out all my VAC hoses to new...one at a time.
7. Checked the function of all my emissions sensors.
8. Tuned my AFPR to Idle/Cruise at 14.8 to 15.4
9. Installed Profec A
10 Installed Custom Y-Pipe and 94MM exhaust with single High flow CAT.

Now with my Profec set to 8lbs and keeping my foot out of it I get average of 23 MPG (Add Heavy right foot and that drops ALOT!). Steep initial time/money investment, but scheduled to make the money back in gas savings in about 6 months. Just my steps...they worked for me...maybe they might work for you. OH and all the parts I bought used so I saved there as well. Not trying to make a show car, just a nice good running car Think I have about 1200 tied up in parts, and my own labor, and I am cheap... I work for Beer
Also have your transmission, drained, flushed, filtered, filled and tested. Was loosing a lot of my fuel from a poorly functioning tranny.