GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Ahoy gentlepersons, praytell ye can illuminate me. What bulbs for USDM city lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 03:30 PM
joelgs3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bulbs for USDM city lights?

ok im tryin to do the city light on a usdm lights and everytime i use a bulb it wont light it up like i want. can anyone tell wut bulbs to use or tell me wut im doin wrong??

Last edited by joelgs3; 06-25-07 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 05:29 AM
pizzle
Rookie

well, i just swapped out my USDM lights for JDM's and i'm using a 194 bulb for the city lights. they're not as bright as i would have hoped but i have some new ones coming that hopefully will look better.

did you mod the USDM's to handle the city lights? as far as i knew USDM's didn't come with that setup.
Old 06-25-07, 11:19 AM
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzle
well, i just swapped out my USDM lights for JDM's and i'm using a 194 bulb for the city lights. they're not as bright as i would have hoped but i have some new ones coming that hopefully will look better.

did you mod the USDM's to handle the city lights? as far as i knew USDM's didn't come with that setup.
hey Pizzle,

i just swapped for the JDMS too! i am also looking to find which 194 bulb would be the brightest n best to use for driving lights? are u going LED? thanks for the help
Old 06-25-07, 04:40 PM
joelgs3
Pole Position

thanx guys for the lil help
Old 06-25-07, 05:44 PM
lextan
Rookie

Originally Posted by BKzSC400
hey Pizzle,

i just swapped for the JDMS too! i am also looking to find which 194 bulb would be the brightest n best to use for driving lights? are u going LED? thanks for the help
AYO BKZ HOW DID YOU WIRE THE CITY LIHTS? DID YOU DO IT YOURSELF OR GOTO A SPOT TO GET IT DONE? IM IN QBORO! HOLLA!!!
Old 06-26-07, 05:26 AM
pizzle
Rookie

hey bkz....

i'm currently running a 12v, 4W bulb that I got at an auto supply store. i ordered some bulbs from a supplier in California, and the bulb packaging is in Japanese, so i'm hoping they'll be a bit brighter. one of the city light bulbs that was in the socket when the lights arrived worked, and was a lot brighter than the 4w bulbs i installed. from what i could tell, the bulbs in the units were 12v, 5W bulbs. Only 1W difference, but there was a noticeable difference in brightness. as soon as the new bulbs arrive i'll take some pics if there's a noticeable difference so you can judge for yourself.

thanks.

Originally Posted by BKzSC400
hey Pizzle,

Old 06-26-07, 05:33 AM
pizzle
Rookie

hey lextan....

a friend of mine help me with the mod. we're going to now mod the fog light wiring so i can turn the fogs on at any time. once that's done, i'll take some pics of the whole setup (including how the wires were run) for your inspection.

currently, i'm running the city lights as DRL's. so, as soon as the parking lights (or automatic lights) come on, the city lights cut off. i'm going to change that so they stay on when the parking lights are on, but cut off when the low beams come on.

so, the city lights will be on when no other lights are on, and will also stay on when the parking lights are on and my fogs will function with parking, low and high beams.

should give a bunch of different options for the lights.

thanks.

Originally Posted by lextan
AYO BKZ HOW DID YOU WIRE THE CITY LIHTS? DID YOU DO IT YOURSELF OR GOTO A SPOT TO GET IT DONE? IM IN QBORO! HOLLA!!!
Old 06-26-07, 07:15 AM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Do you mean it is not bright enough? on the jdm lights there is a second lens inside the light for the DRL's. possibly on the USDM light the lens may be blocked or more ristrictive for some reason?
Old 06-27-07, 09:04 AM
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Cool thanks will be looking forward to those pics! GL!

Originally Posted by pizzle
hey bkz....

i'm currently running a 12v, 4W bulb that I got at an auto supply store. i ordered some bulbs from a supplier in California, and the bulb packaging is in Japanese, so i'm hoping they'll be a bit brighter. one of the city light bulbs that was in the socket when the lights arrived worked, and was a lot brighter than the 4w bulbs i installed. from what i could tell, the bulbs in the units were 12v, 5W bulbs. Only 1W difference, but there was a noticeable difference in brightness. as soon as the new bulbs arrive i'll take some pics if there's a noticeable difference so you can judge for yourself.

thanks.
Old 06-27-07, 09:08 AM
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lextan

wussupss Lextan, i didnt get them hooked up yet. but prolly gonna do myself or have a friend wire it up for me
Old 07-01-07, 04:38 PM
pizzle
Rookie

ok, got the new 194 bulbs and snapped a pic of the old bulb and the new one. the color difference is obvious. the new bulb is a 12v5w bulb.

i can't really say they are very useful as DRL's however, since the light is so "white" you really can't see it very well in the daylight. it looks great at twilight though.

i've got some pics of the wiring that i'll post as soon as i download them.
Attached Thumbnails Ahoy gentlepersons, praytell ye can illuminate me.  What bulbs for USDM city lights?-city_lights.jpg