GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Do you guys think 1st generation GS....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 02:58 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do you guys think 1st generation GS....

Do you guys think 1st generation GS will become like classic car. I just saw few ads in the local paper and few on the internet saying like "a rare soon to be colectible" or " a classic soon to be" maybe I should hold onto mine since it is very mint
Old 07-17-07, 03:10 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dario
Do you guys think 1st generation GS will become like classic car. I just saw few ads in the local paper and few on the internet saying like "a rare soon to be colectible" or " a classic soon to be" maybe I should hold onto mine since it is very mint
very doubtfull but it might become like a Older RWD corolla and supras where people are willing to pay top dollar for it. Classic? No
Old 07-17-07, 03:38 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't envision one in an episode of Jay Leno's garage.
Old 07-17-07, 04:06 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

To me, it's a classic. The first gen GS exhibits characteristics of a classic - it has classic lines, classic styling. It's unique in the fact that it incorporates Italian design with Japanese engenuity.

If you were to debadge it and let people who aren't so auto savvy take a crack and guess whether if it were a European or Japanese car - I'd put money that people would guess more of the former than the latter.

It's the only Lexus that really distinguishes itself in styling. Line it up with 2nd and 3rd generation GS and you'll see the design element is totally different. The generations after it do not seem to carry over any of the design elements of it's predecessor. I'm not saying that, that's a good or a bad thing. I'm just saying, I wish the styling of the 2nd and 3rd gen cars stayed more true to their lineage.

The first gen GS is a car when you see it, you know it's a first gen and you don't mistake it for anything else. Today, you have manufacturers incorporating similar design elements and when you see a newer car today, it's more like, "oh, that sorta looks like (insert make, model)"

Just my two-cents on what I think makes the first gen unique and a classic
Old 07-17-07, 04:52 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

The 1st gen doesnt look like anything else, just like what Seize was saying. You never miss it when you see it on the road, and you never mistake another car for the GS. I once saw, I think it was an old accord, from like about 1/2 mile coming towards me, and the headlights had me fooled for a second, but as it got closer..about 1/4 mile, I knew it wasnt the GS. Made me kinda sad, I thought I was gonna get to see one of my brothers(or sisters).
I was filling up at the gas station about 2-3 weeks ago and someone asked me what my car was, and I told them, and they said..they already came out with a new one, and of course I had to correct them, Im sure this person wasnt very auto savvy, but still.
Keep the 1st gen, it will run forever, and if anything you can give it to your kids when they turn 16 or whatever. Thats what I plan on doing.
Old 07-17-07, 05:02 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the 1st Gen GS, that's why I bought another one. People always asked me why I didn't buy the 2nd Gen and insist on getting another 1st Gen GS. I love the overall flow of the 1st Gen body style comparing with the 2nd Gen where the back end of the vehicle look very awkward. The 1st Gen tail lights look so much nicer comparing with the 2nd Gen. I don't know how to explain it, but the overall design of the 2nd Gen is ugly in my opinion. No offense to all of the 2nd Gen GS owners. I mean, the front is short and the back is square. The rear tail lights mimic the front head lights. The trunk look like it's been chop and make the car look short and not porportion to the rest of the car. The only thing that I like is the interior vs the 1st Gen. The 3rd Gen GS have some styling cues of the 1st if you look carefully, especially the side view.
Old 07-21-07, 01:13 AM
savanna13
Pole Position

I think that the 1G has very uniuque styling. If it had the interior quality and distinctiveness of the 2G, it would be an undeniable classic.
Old 07-21-07, 03:08 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

nice car but wont be a classic car it will be like the mk3 supra nice car but worthless at the end of it.
Old 07-21-07, 12:22 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Seize
To me, it's a classic. The first gen GS exhibits characteristics of a classic - it has classic lines, classic styling. It's unique in the fact that it incorporates Italian design with Japanese engenuity.

If you were to debadge it and let people who aren't so auto savvy take a crack and guess whether if it were a European or Japanese car - I'd put money that people would guess more of the former than the latter.

It's the only Lexus that really distinguishes itself in styling. Line it up with 2nd and 3rd generation GS and you'll see the design element is totally different. The generations after it do not seem to carry over any of the design elements of it's predecessor. I'm not saying that, that's a good or a bad thing. I'm just saying, I wish the styling of the 2nd and 3rd gen cars stayed more true to their lineage.

The first gen GS is a car when you see it, you know it's a first gen and you don't mistake it for anything else. Today, you have manufacturers incorporating similar design elements and when you see a newer car today, it's more like, "oh, that sorta looks like (insert make, model)"

Just my two-cents on what I think makes the first gen unique and a classic
The first does look like an Avalon, from the rear. I hate the way the current Camry looks like a LS460 from the rear and all the cars today have that Bangle behind . I also agree about the interior of the first gen. it's ok, but not what I expected as a luxury car(no trip computer).
Old 12-07-10, 01:15 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by savanna13
I think that the 1G has very uniuque styling. If it had the interior quality and distinctiveness of the 2G, it would be an undeniable classic.
Not to bring this back from the dead, but how does the interior really differ except for the gauge cluster?
Old 12-07-10, 03:11 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just tell you guys this story, might be a little long, but I think this explains WHY the 1st Gen GS300 is so unique:

Before I started working for Intuit, I worked at Hoods Etc in Tucson AZ, which is the best bodyshop in Tucson as far as I am concerned and has worked on many Barret Jackson cars and super exotics and classics (here is where I got ALL my experience, thanks Todd Hood, you the man), as a "minor" bodyman (never had to weld or use the pulling equipment), polisher/buffer and delivery driver sometimes. Prior from that, I worked for Chapman Collision Center and I was mainly a Porsche delivery driver since I had my driving record super clean, could talk about cars intelligently with the car owners and at the time I had clocked some hours as a driver on the PIR and Firebird racetracks in Phoenix (the most awesome low paying job a car nut can have). So I have many acquaintances who own these super euro cars.

So when I painted my 1st gen GS, I completely de-badged the car except for the Aristo rear garnish. I had my Wedsport Novaris and had the car lowered on Teins. On MANY occasions, when I had to pick someone up from a delivery (close delivery), I would go in my car. The reactions of the owners was priceless. They would come over and ask what kind of car was it and if this was a newer, yet to be released model. I would proceed to tell them it was in fact MY car. Once the owner of a very nice AMG S class thought I was the Porsche owner's son because I was driving this car. The sad part is that when I would tell the customer he was admiring a 1995 Lexus and I was just a delivery driver, they would be a bit embarrassed and would stop asking questions about the car... but I could see them glancing at it when I would take off.

One too many times I had older guys in Benzes or Porsches give me the thumbs up, check out the car, trail me on the freeway or take pictures... and my car was not really great looking but it did looked different. The italdesign of this car was way ahead of its time, much like the soarer and supra; the longevity of this model proves this statement:

1st Gen: 1990-1997 without modifications except taillight design
1st Gen SC300/400: 1990-2000 with minor designs

Seriously, not too many platforms last that long without any redesigns. Think about it. Thats why this is one of my favorite cars and I would own a second one in a heartbeat.