GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How are the Ohlins Coilovers For 1st Gen GS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 03:09 AM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, im wondering how you adjust the height too..
Old 09-04-07, 03:41 PM
cacrawfo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not that they are hard to adjust, just different from most coilovers. Usually, you use 2 wrenches to loosen or tighten the lower spring perch, and you can do this on the car with the wheel off. With these, you have to remove the coilover, compress the spring, and remove a snapring from one of the 5 or 6 grooves in the housing. You move this ring up or down a groove to adjust height, release the spring, and re-install. You only have these 5 or 6 heights to choose from, what I meant was that I hope you don't get stuck in a situation where one groove makes the car too high, but the next one down makes it too low!

CArl C
Old 09-16-07, 12:45 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cacrawfo
Its not that they are hard to adjust, just different from most coilovers. Usually, you use 2 wrenches to loosen or tighten the lower spring perch, and you can do this on the car with the wheel off. With these, you have to remove the coilover, compress the spring, and remove a snapring from one of the 5 or 6 grooves in the housing. You move this ring up or down a groove to adjust height, release the spring, and re-install. You only have these 5 or 6 heights to choose from, what I meant was that I hope you don't get stuck in a situation where one groove makes the car too high, but the next one down makes it too low!

CArl C
Wow, now I see what you mean. It is different from the other coilovers. I received the coilovers last week. I haven't put them on yet since I'm waiting for a nice set of wheels to put it on at the same time. Once I have it on, I'll let you guy know how these coilovers are.
Old 09-16-07, 03:22 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Seems like you are modding again, the strutbar is still available. Post pics when you install these and give us feedback.

Last edited by Wald GS; 09-16-07 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 09:29 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wald GS
Seems like you are modding again, the strutbar is still available. Post pics when you install these and give us feedback.
I know, I can't stop modding. It's like an addiction, you try to avoid it but going on this forum everyday make it worse. You see guys with 1st Gen like yours all fix up, you really have to start doing something to your GS so it would look a little nicer
As for the strutbar, I'm focusing on cosmetic exterior mod. I'll be needing it once i decide to do the infamous 2JZ-GTE swap
Old 09-16-07, 05:40 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by suprawhite
I know, I can't stop modding. It's like an addiction, you try to avoid it but going on this forum everyday make it worse. You see guys with 1st Gen like yours all fix up, you really have to start doing something to your GS so it would look a little nicer
As for the strutbar, I'm focusing on cosmetic exterior mod. I'll be needing it once i decide to do the infamous 2JZ-GTE swap
lol.. ok.
Old 10-07-07, 10:23 AM
suprawhite
Advanced

Good news, I'm planning to put this coilovers on my GS tomorrow eventhough I don't have the wheels for it yet. The factory Touring Edition wheels is currently on the GS right now, but I have no choice. I want to put it on so bad so I have to live with it. If anyone have a factory 3rd Gen GS430 18" 5 spokes wheels and tires for sale, let me know. That's what I want. Hope it turn out good even with the stocker. Beside that, I'm also putting on my HKS Hypermax III, I bought from a fellow member on Supraforums last week for my Supra. This coilovers is not release in the US yet. I heard good things about this set up. Hope both turn out perfect.

Last edited by suprawhite; 10-07-07 at 10:42 AM.