GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Proliance radiator problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 08:16 AM
lykdatyall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proliance radiator problem

I recently replaced my blown original radiator with a proliance radiator and fits great, yet the factory radiator cap is too small. Anyone out there have this problem? What is the proper radiator cap for this thing? I called proliance and their tech department goes straight to voicemail.
Old 09-04-07, 10:27 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Well I have an answer but you won't like it. I needed a cap for my Griffin so I went up to Checker auto and they told me had to come from Griffin. I went home, grabbed the radiator and went back. The second STANT cap I picked up fit perfectly. I hope you haven't filled the radiator yet as I see the same task in your future.
Old 09-04-07, 11:36 AM
lykdatyall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Well I have an answer but you won't like it. I needed a cap for my Griffin so I went up to Checker auto and they told me had to come from Griffin. I went home, grabbed the radiator and went back. The second STANT cap I picked up fit perfectly. I hope you haven't filled the radiator yet as I see the same task in your future.

I just did the same thing. LOL
Old 03-17-08, 08:57 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ran into the same thing - I had called a radiator rebuild place who said he couldn't fix the plastic/alum rad we have. I told him about the cap not fitting and he said they make 2 styles... Interestingly, the filler neck is taller in the new one, too - so the spring/rubber seal must be deeper, too...

Hey Guys, do you happen to have the radiator cap part number so I don't have to remove my radiator ? (luckily I haven't filled it up yet)

thanks !
Old 03-17-08, 10:36 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Oh yea, a couple of other gripes about this Radiator... It's a full 1/4" shorter than the original (yes I installed the lower rubber mounts) - had to pound down the upper mounting bracket to make it "press down" onto the top of the radiator or it'd rattle back and forth.. Also the OEM temp sensor appears to hit the other side of the lower part of the radiator before it could screw in all the way.. I can seal that but I hate it when crap like this happens - I thought it'd fit better when I chose the "middle-priced" radiator (about $150) from rockauto .. Oh well, if I can get this to fit and work well it's better than spending > $400 from the dealer for one...
Old 03-19-08, 08:37 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Default All done - closing information

OK, I don't have a proliant radiator but I had a Spectra Premium CU 1854, bought from rockauto...

I ended up going to schucks and the "oversized" radiator cap is the Stant Model 11227 . I hope this helps someone if they get into the same situation...

One more thing to pass on. Put all of the nuts into the slots of the new radiator BEFORE you install it (at least the ones on the top of the radiator) . for some reason (as is on the factory radiator), the driver side upper mount of the lower motor-powered fan (for AC ? not sure) has its nut opening facing the bottom, so I had to remove the main fan shroud to get my finger down there to slide the nut up . I didn't have to do anything fancy for the nut to stay..

In Summary, I'd recommend a do it yourself install on a radiator - save the $$ and do it yourself. I'd say it's a very easy job. If you can change your own oil you can do this..

Strangely, both radiators in my GS and the SC400 went out within a week of one another ! kinda weird. The SC had a very slight leak so I put the "radiator stop leak" stuff in it and it sealed it nicely...

Happy wrenching/driving !!