GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Steering wheel/column clicking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 05:38 PM
A.R.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wheel/column clicking

When I turn my wheel to the left I get a loud clicking sound once every revolution, and turning to the right, I get a softer, but still audible click. It started yesterday afternoon around 12:20.
I thought it had gone away this morning, and it might have, but it was back after the engine warmed up, that or I got used to my music being so loud and started listening out for other sounds subconsciously...

I do need to change my left control arm, but the sound is deff coming from the steering column. unless I'm mistaken.

I had my left lower ball joint replaced the day before the noise started and I was informed that my control arm needed to be replaced too. By logic, it should be the control arm, but the sound is coming from the steering column.

What's up?
Old 10-05-07, 05:48 PM
A.R.
Driver

And for something totally unrelated....Which key is supposed to open the trunk? the big key or the small key? because, NEITHER of mine opens it. it gets frustrating having to go in the car to open 'er up...
Old 10-05-07, 05:55 PM
Kaiser
Racer

There is a metal clip that goes around the column and attaches to the black plastic cover under the dash. There is a specific spot this needs to clip to or it will click. Mine did it when I bought it.
Old 10-05-07, 07:05 PM
lextan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kaiser
There is a metal clip that goes around the column and attaches to the black plastic cover under the dash. There is a specific spot this needs to clip to or it will click. Mine did it when I bought it.
IM HAVING THE SAME PROB, CAN I HAVE THE PART NAME? WHAT PART OF THE STEERING COL/DASH DID U REMOVE TO REPLACE IT? THANKS!
Old 10-05-07, 07:16 PM
pizzle
Rookie

mine has been doing this as well for some time now. i was going to try and fix it this weekend. if i do, i'll snap some pics for reference.

Originally Posted by lextan
IM HAVING THE SAME PROB, CAN I HAVE THE PART NAME? WHAT PART OF THE STEERING COL/DASH DID U REMOVE TO REPLACE IT? THANKS!
Old 10-05-07, 10:56 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

it's a possibilty that it's the steering shaft u joint making nosie when you turn. i heard mine the first time today since i didnt have my stereo loud. i think it's the steering shaft that make's that noise but im not 100%. im a tech work for a toyota dealership. and ive encounter ton's of sedan that make's that distinctive noise. esp. the camry's they even have TSB for replacing the steering shaft due to that noise. it's the same type of nosie im hearing on my 93 gs. and im thinking that might be it. but not really sure since i havent have time to check on it.
Old 10-06-07, 04:23 AM
A.R.
Driver

Thanks. I'm also relieved to hear that I'm not the only one and that it's just a minor problem.
Old 12-17-07, 09:59 AM
A.R.
Driver

I was lazy and didn't do it until today, but this was definitely the issue. Thanks once again Kaiser. You're a veritable fountain of Lexus info!