GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

KSPORT Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 08:04 AM
Aristo-cat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can kinda agree, but i've seen really high-end coilovers go bad too. My Silkroads on my 240 are beat to ****, i can no longer adjust hight on 2 of them, but damper is pretty right on still.
Old 10-09-07, 08:24 AM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible the damage came about from the abuse/load road racers/drifters put on their suspension? Under normal driving condition (daily driving) I wonder if the Ksports will hold up longer than a year?
Old 10-09-07, 10:42 AM
Aristo-cat
Driver

Well it looks like my Stance coilovers did come. I was going to go with Ksport/Megan's for the cost, but I guess these are better. I think as long as you clean then normally (no WD40), they should be fine.
Old 10-09-07, 03:49 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo-cat
Well it looks like my Stance coilovers did come. I was going to go with Ksport/Megan's for the cost, but I guess these are better. I think as long as you clean then normally (no WD40), they should be fine.
Don't forget to post some pics after you have them installed
Old 10-09-07, 07:08 PM
Aristo-cat
Driver

plan to put them on tomorrow.... if they fit :crossfingers:
Old 10-09-07, 10:57 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can wait to see the results i heard the stance was better than megan and ksport. was it the 2nd gen fronts and supra backs? cuz when i lasted checked they didnt make a set for the 1st gens.
Old 10-09-07, 11:30 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

I am going to comment on my experience: AE86 Ksport Suspension, 89 PS13 Ksport drift suspension, and my JZS147 Suspension. Good stuff for the right price. Reliable as well and tech support and even the designer for custom stuff is very approachable. The company is based in phoenix az and I have met the owner at several Densetsu Motorsports sponsored drift events... very approachable guy and, to be honest, kind of humble. Now, just like megan, when Ksport started selling their suspension kits many had technical defects and such and because of that many people think it is still the same, when in reality their whole coilover setup is very different and improved than the first units produced.

Now my experience:

AE86
The AE86 was being used for road racing and drifting. Overall feel was very good and would choose this coilovers over any TRD strut/spring combo or any home made coilover... BUT I would choose megan over ksport on this vehicle JUST BECAUSE of the overall suspension design (I liked the megan design more)...8/10

S13
I had teins flex b4 and I had also JIC's FLT-2 before the teins. The ksport's felt a lot like the JIC units and worked wonderfully. Sold this car after 1 year with the ksports and after 1 year, the guy still haves the same coilovers and there seems to be no problem. 9/10 if they last another 6 months knowing how my friend drives my old s13 I'll give them a 10/10

GS300 JZS147
Had them on for a short 8 months before trading them for some Tanabe DF210 springs and WHAT I PAID FOR for these coilovers. Reason to sell it is because I am more into VIP and I like my car low BUT here in Tucson AZ the roads are terrible and to get my car in my garage without scraping (my height was 2.5) was a PAIN... and I don't even have an aero kit... So now since I am building my car VIP style and now I have a kit, air suspension is my only worthy option. My experience with these coilovers was very good. Ride was stiffer which ment driving the mountain pass road to my house a frigging BLAST to drive but once U got people in the front and rear seats the ride became kind of annoying because of the stiffness. Don't get me wrong, these are really great and I had Tein flex before the Ksport units and I could not really tell the diference. NOW, the 32 adjustment it is kind of TOO much and hard to keep track of how many clicks u have on what coilover, but for someone looking for a sportier feel on their GS these are good for the money. I just sold them 4 months ago and the kid I sold them to (texas, ebay) still rides on them with no apparent problem. 9/10 Lil bit stiffer than the Teins/More sportier ride oriented

I was bored so I wrote this longass reply... still, just my .02

Last edited by jmax.garage; 10-09-07 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 06:41 AM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

kidzik007 - nice write up and review on the Ksport coilovers on your various rides. On your GS300, did you try the softest setting? Thanks!
Old 10-10-07, 08:20 AM
Aristo-cat
Driver

Originally Posted by timywong
can wait to see the results i heard the stance was better than megan and ksport. was it the 2nd gen fronts and supra backs? cuz when i lasted checked they didnt make a set for the 1st gens.

you are correct. I actually requested a special order of 2nd Gen all round with only 2jz mounts, because I heard that the shock bodies might be too short. However we compared the 2 and the with the full sleeved adjustablilty, it seems I can go as High as I want. we'll see for sure when I get one. But who wants to go back to stock height anyway?
Old 10-12-07, 11:22 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

there we go a result form someone that actually used them instead of a bull**** he said she said...

Good write up... I'd rather a middle of the road coil over like tien CS even super street, I don't want a racer but something that will handle a little nicer and is pradictable when you hit a bump... right now my rear end feels detached and when i hit something like a bump i feel it wobble in the back... Thats why i really want a upgarded suspension...

I'm not looking for used stuff becuase the people on this board are crazy... and want 1100-1400 for used coilovers when new ones can be had for less. even tien flex's are 1300$ new.
Old 10-12-07, 11:24 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ins0mniac
I'm not going to bad mouth any brands but I will say this. You get what you pay for. I know guys who ran k-sports and megans. Between the 2 if i had to choose I would pic megan. I dont know a single person who ran k-sports and lasted over a year.

My suggestion is save a little longer and get something a little higher quality. You'll thank yourself in the long run
question is long run.. how long do you plan to keep your car for 10-20 years? if it serves me even 3 years i'll be happy because I'll have probably changed DD's by that time.
Old 12-07-07, 08:04 AM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

I would like to bring this topic back up. It looks like Tein CS and Flex are on back order here in the US and the soonest shops can get them is 3 mos. Well, I'm an impatient person and can't wait for 3 mos. Looks like the KSport is more of an option for my situation as they are readily available. From what I have read, being the main complaints on the Ksport being too stiff, is it possible to swap out the springs from another brand coilover? I have a useless set of Tein CS which was sold to me as damaged goods. That's another story... Anyway, this set is useless but the springs are still in tact. Can the Tein CS springs be used on the KSport coilovers as I'm assuming the Teins have a softer spring rate?
Old 12-07-07, 08:37 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Rather than scrapping the CS's why not send them to TEIN for overhaul? That's the beauty of buying TEIN, they are easily serviced in the USA.
Old 12-07-07, 08:48 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnjohn13
I would like to bring this topic back up. It looks like Tein CS and Flex are on back order here in the US and the soonest shops can get them is 3 mos. Well, I'm an impatient person and can't wait for 3 mos. Looks like the KSport is more of an option for my situation as they are readily available. From what I have read, being the main complaints on the Ksport being too stiff, is it possible to swap out the springs from another brand coilover? I have a useless set of Tein CS which was sold to me as damaged goods. That's another story... Anyway, this set is useless but the springs are still in tact. Can the Tein CS springs be used on the KSport coilovers as I'm assuming the Teins have a softer spring rate?
Check your PM asap
Old 12-07-07, 08:58 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Edit: I didnt realize that you already had some CS's
Do what kaiser said and send em off to Tein to get refurb.
You'll be glad you did.

Quick Reply: KSPORT Coilovers