AEM in a 1993 GS300 with Aristo swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 11:43 PM
turbochris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM in a 1993 GS300 with Aristo swap

Ok i bought a AEM Part #: 30-1100

I was told that this will plug and play on my Aristo swap. I bought the car already swapped so i am not 100% sure whats going to happen. Dont no what they did. I do know they extended the wires under the hood. But other then that everything works perfect besides the tach.

Has anyone ever done this before? Installed a AEM unit in there aristo swap?

I will picking up the system tom. afternoon. I just hope i didnt waste my money......

I searched but came up with no answers.........

thanks
chris w
Old 11-05-07, 06:25 AM
Kaiser
Racer

AEM forums at www.aempower.com recommends you do NOT use this system with the A340E transmission.
Old 11-05-07, 09:15 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was against using a standalone as ive had bad experiences with them in the past. But with the power level im going to make the aem makes the most sense. Plus im going to use a chebby trans so the aem can shift it for me instead of buying a 600$ trans only controller. Like Kaiser said, dont use this for oem tranny control.
Old 11-13-07, 12:13 PM
DBaristo
Driver

Mine is using an AEM on the stock transmission and a T67DBB turbo. I've been told my transmission won't last even if its a rebuilt toyota one. The AEM forum gives you information on how to get a bit more time from your box. Mine is setup with a manual mode and I manually change gear with the shift stick. This lets me pull the fuel with my right foot which makes for smoother gear changes. Its not an ideal situation but it works for me. The guy that mapped the gearbox has done a few other aristo AEM combinations and has so far had a fair bit of success with attempting to match the stock timing retard and fuel cut back at gear changes.
Old 11-15-07, 09:42 AM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

there's a guy in NY with a NA auto supra but did a aristo swap also w/gt42, but does not have the A34oe tranny but has the th350 tran. and has not had any known problems. with it ... but i wouldn't know good luck with it and please keep us inform for future Ref.

Thanks
Old 11-19-07, 11:30 PM
turbochris
Driver

Yea I noticed a big difference once I put the AEM EMS ECU in the car. I had to fiddle around to get it started because I have the JDM 2jz-gte with smaller 440cc injectors, but once it started it was nice to here. I went for a little ride around the block and I noticed right off the bad when I shifted into gear how it engaged......I liked the firm shift it had but I could not really get on it because it was a startup map. Not a drive around map. So once I get it tuned alittle better I will update... I've been putting the AEM in, tuning for a few hours then swapping the stock ECU back in to drive the car. Hopefully here soon I will have it working good enough to get to the dyno and get some clean numbers out of it. The AEM has way more stuff to mess with then any other standalone I have dealt with in the past years (Haltech, DSM Link, Hondata). But I will get it figured out.

thanks
chris w
Old 11-20-07, 07:37 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbochris
The AEM has way more stuff to mess with then any other standalone I have dealt with in the past years (Haltech, DSM Link, Hondata). But I will get it figured out.

thanks
chris w
Thats good to know. Im debating on using the AEM when I do my swap. I have used the SDS, Haltech, PMS and Wolf. All on different cars. They were all real finickey and I wouldnt use any one of them again.
They all would run great for a few days in a row on the same tune and then all the sudden the following day with the same ambient tempatures and climates it would run like ****.
I had the tunes fuel adjusted for tempature changes but they just kept pissing me off. I have a friend with the AEM on his supra and it still needs some tuning but overall seems like it runs better than any of my previous systems. I would like to ride in an AEM car that controls and auto tranny though.
Old 11-20-07, 11:09 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
Thats good to know. Im debating on using the AEM when I do my swap. I have used the SDS, Haltech, PMS and Wolf. All on different cars. They were all real finickey and I wouldnt use any one of them again.
They all would run great for a few days in a row on the same tune and then all the sudden the following day with the same ambient tempatures and climates it would run like ****.
I had the tunes fuel adjusted for tempature changes but they just kept pissing me off. I have a friend with the AEM on his supra and it still needs some tuning but overall seems like it runs better than any of my previous systems. I would like to ride in an AEM car that controls and auto tranny though.

I never had that problem with the Haltech, but I did and do with the DSM Link. Only reason why I think the AEM and Haltech do not have that problem is because you are completely eliminating the stock ECU program. The Link is just like a piggy back style....it just trys to lie to the ECU and then the ECU changes to compensate for it and then it runs like ****.

chris w