GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Is there an automatic shifter for the GS300?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 06:01 PM
l Black l
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there an automatic shifter for the GS300?

I know we all want to swap to a manual, for obvious reasons. However, when I watch guys at the dragstrip, a lot of them have automatic shifters. Granted, most of these are domestics, but I see a few that have imports with automatic shifters. Anyone know if we have this as an option in our 1GSs? I see that they don't cost much at all and I wouldn't mind having a sequential shifter. As long as I get to determine the revving, I'm happy.
Old 11-08-07, 10:13 PM
Duds
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can search for something called (SupraStick), it will give you paddle or button shifting
Old 11-09-07, 05:35 AM
l Black l
Driver

Thanks, I'll try that. Anyone here have any experience with these type of shifters?
Old 11-09-07, 08:44 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by l Black l
Thanks, I'll try that. Anyone here have any experience with these type of shifters?
What are you looking to do. Just shift the stock auto, with buttons or paddles ?
The 2nd gen gs has sport shift as do the IS's
Old 11-09-07, 10:18 AM
l Black l
Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
What are you looking to do. Just shift the stock auto, with buttons or paddles ?
The 2nd gen gs has sport shift as do the IS's
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I hate the way this tranny shifts, even with the "ECT Power" button, it drives me crazy. I'm not used to the car shifting when it wants. I need to control it. I'd love to have the sport shift, but mine is a 1st Gen. If you're implying that I should get the shifter out of a 2nd Gen, is that cheaper than getting an auto shifter? I never really thought about that as an option.
Old 11-09-07, 10:23 AM
Kaiser
Racer

It's not really an option. I think he was suggesting buying the whole car. Those transmissions with E shift are the A650E's if I'm not mistaken. I have my doubts that your ECU would know what to do with a 5 speed transmission when it's programmed for 4. Maybe there is a work around, but I don't know of it.
Old 11-09-07, 10:28 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I hate the way this tranny shifts, even with the "ECT Power" button, it drives me crazy. I'm not used to the car shifting when it wants. I need to control it. I'd love to have the sport shift, but mine is a 1st Gen. If you're implying that I should get the shifter out of a 2nd Gen, is that cheaper than getting an auto shifter? I never really thought about that as an option.
You should do a valve body upgrade to make the shifts more firm. Or get a higher stall speed converter. Its not as simple as taking a shifter out of a 2nd gen. Its electronic and semi to very complex to setup our 1st gen trans to manually shift.
Even if you do find a way (I have heard of one person) you'll want to do the valve body and TC mods.
Old 11-09-07, 10:33 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Where did you get your upgrade from?
Old 11-09-07, 10:39 AM
l Black l
Driver

Is it even worth getting the auto shifter if I keep the 4 speed tranny? I wonder if I just need to leave it as is or go all the way with the manual swap. I just want more control without the hassle of going all the way manual. I don't mind not having a clutch as long as I can control the shift. Even on the 4 speed, I can deal with the ratios being off. Are you guys just running on the stock setup after boosting the car?
Old 11-09-07, 12:08 PM
Kaiser
Racer

I'm running an Aristo transmission so it's an upgrade over the GS300. I had the converter re-stalled to 2800 but it wasn't high enough to really make a difference and I regret not going to 3200. I think twojayzee runs the Aristo trans as well but I'm willing to bet his is upgraded. His ride is much nicer than mine. He must not be married and actually be allowed to spend money. Shimming the accumulators in the valve body will bump the line pressure and increase the firmness and speed of the shift. You will sacrifice some luxury for that.
Old 11-09-07, 12:08 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Where did you get your upgrade from?
Kaiser, if were asking me... I dont have the upgrade. There was a company on here that used to do that. I think SP and BL do too. Im building a 4L80e chevy tranny with full valvebody upgrade, clutch packs etc... for my singled gte build
Is it even worth getting the auto shifter if I keep the 4 speed tranny? I wonder if I just need to leave it as is or go all the way with the manual swap. I just want more control without the hassle of going all the way manual. I don't mind not having a clutch as long as I can control the shift. Even on the 4 speed, I can deal with the ratios being off. Are you guys just running on the stock setup after boosting the car?
I wouldnt spend my money doing that upgrade for a stock car. If you had a turbo maybe and if its an na-t then for sure, either that or a tt trans I understand they shift differently. Im going to sell mine once I verify the motor swap is good to go.
Old 11-09-07, 12:12 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

I'm running an Aristo transmission so it's an upgrade over the GS300. I had the converter re-stalled to 2800 but it wasn't high enough to really make a difference and I regret not going to 3200. I think twojayzee runs the Aristo trans as well but I'm willing to bet his is upgraded. His ride is much nicer than mine. He must not be married and actually be allowed to spend money. Shimming the accumulators in the valve body will bump the line pressure and increase the firmness and speed of the shift. You will sacrifice some luxury for that.
I've been married for 9yrs but together for 12yrs so shes very understand that this is my passion and I kinda got her hooked with all the toys. So you think the 2800 was too low ? Whats stock ? Im still trying to decide what to use with the 4L80e
Old 11-09-07, 12:20 PM
Kaiser
Racer

I was just kiddin around with you. I've been married 7 years with a 2 and half year old. I wouldn't have half the car I do if she didn't give me a little latitude. In other words, she drives a new Saab. The consensus on the Supra Forums is that it's 2200. The pdf Supra manual I have says 2650 + or - 150. I didn't read that until after the restall.
Old 11-09-07, 12:57 PM
l Black l
Driver

[QUOTE=I wouldnt spend my money doing that upgrade for a stock car. If you had a turbo maybe and if its an na-t then for sure, either that or a tt trans I understand they shift differently. Im going to sell mine once I verify the motor swap is good to go.[/QUOTE]

Well, I plan to turbo the current 2JZGE. I looked at that Suprastick and it looks like a pretty good option. There aren't any issues with the fact that it's a 4 speed instead of 5?
Old 11-09-07, 01:02 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Kaiser;3045392]I was just kiddin around with you. QUOTE] Oh I know

In other words, she drives a new Saab
Werd, my wife was sick of me having all the fun, although she was the one who bought me the jdm motor ;-)
We just got her a 02' gs430
Heres my other project

Quick Reply: Is there an automatic shifter for the GS300?