GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

HID Kit for $160

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 05:32 PM
AirForceGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, so i ordered the Kits for my Low and Fogs. So the fogs conversion kit wont work in our setup at all? Thanks for all of the info. With my eyes at night the output im getting is pretty dangerous as it is. Even just a small improvement will be good for me. How expensive is it to get a xenon projector retrofitted into my headlights? I'd definitely do it next month if its a resonable price. For now I will try the HID kit and send the fogs back if I cant find a way to use them.
Old 11-18-07, 06:17 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

There will definitly be a noticeable difference, now if you got the 8000K kit, it might not be what you wanted. The best way to go is to get between 4300K and 6000K. 8000K is gonna be more purple, and the light output may not be as bright as you think. You can always try and find a rebased 4300K bulb and buy that.
As for a retrofit, talk to lexus4jess, send him a PM and he will let you know how much he charges to do it. Im gonna get him to do mine as soon as I find some new headlights.
But if you want a set of decent projectors from like a BMW, or Audi, or Mercedes, or pretty much any car with stock HIDs it might cost you. I picked mine up for free, and if youd like, I can try and get you some, but they will cost you a little. It just so happened I had a friend getting rid of his so he gave them to me(his BMW was in an accident and the headlights were gonna be trashed so I asked to see if the projectors were ok and I kept them).
Ebay has plenty to offer though, or at least they did last time I checked.
Old 11-18-07, 08:44 PM
nickCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timywong
^^ Agreed, great info nickCT.
Originally Posted by Abear
Nice post Nick, thanks for the info. Hopefully people will read this and find it quite useful. After having my HIDs for about a year and a half now, Ive realized its just not enough light. The stock halogen projectors are just not made for this. All my friends cars with stock HID projectors(S2000, 350Z, my moms FX35, my dads 300C, and my grandmothers LS460), all make my car look like my lights arent even on. Granted, the difference between the HIDs and and the halogens before is alot better, but I think its time for a retrofit. I would have done it already, but finding a good set of used headlights is becoming a hassle.
Hope everyone listens to nick, hes seems pretty knowledgeable on this subject.
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by AirForceGS
Hmmm, so i ordered the Kits for my Low and Fogs. So the fogs conversion kit wont work in our setup at all? Thanks for all of the info. With my eyes at night the output im getting is pretty dangerous as it is. Even just a small improvement will be good for me. How expensive is it to get a xenon projector retrofitted into my headlights? I'd definitely do it next month if its a resonable price. For now I will try the HID kit and send the fogs back if I cant find a way to use them.
Not to say that it won't work. But I wouldn't recommend it. If for no other reason than the fact that I wouldn't trust the electrical system of the car running 2 sets of HID ballasts. You also have the light output to consider. I honestly have never put HID's in a fog light housing. But just knowing how the designs are different, I wouldn't bet on it working very well.

Retrofits vary quite a bit in price. You can go to a junk yard or look on eBay and pick up some used HID projectors for pretty cheap. Or, some people will pay decent money for new ones.

I don't drive a Lexus actually. My brother does though, I was here sifting through HID posts, as I was thinking about getting him an HID setup for christmas. I'm a Honda/BMW guy, and I have HID's in my Integra and M3. At the forums I frequent for these cars, we have a general consensus of what HID projectors are good candidates for retrofits. Everyone basically uses the same 2 or 3 projectors, as they're tried and true in our stock housings, and require minimum fabrication. I was surprised not to find the same thing going on over here actually.

The best HID projectors out there, IMO are the Honda S2000, Acura TSX, BMW E46 3-series, Lexus RX-series, and Nissan Maxima HID projectors. Any one of those would probably work very well. Though some may require more fabrication than others. The Honda S2000 and Acura TSX are exceptionally good. I drove a TSX as a loaner car for a few days once and I was taken aback at the quality of the HID lighting.

Take a look around on ebay, or search some HID forums (google it) to see what people are most commonly putting in your stock housings. FWIW, people spend upwards of $400-600 doing a good quality projector retrofit+ballasts+bulbs in Integras. I've seen guys spend over $800 to put them in BMW's. Of course, you can get a cheap plug and play (PNP) kit and find eBay or junkyard projectors for MUCH cheaper. Maybe $200-300 when all is said and done. But retrofitting will take some time, as you have to pull your headlights apart to remove the stock projector, and it will require some fabrication to make the new one bolt in there correctly. It's a little bit of work, but getting the best is never easy. We're talking about putting new technology into a car that was designed over 10 years ago. There's an easy way, and a hard way. You're informed of the benefits and drawbacks of each. Hope that helps.

Let us know how you like the kit when you get it. FYI, try and keep those ballasts away from anything that puts out a ton of heat.

-Nick
Old 11-18-07, 09:08 PM
AirForceGS
Driver

Thanks, I think I have 2 cool spots picked out where i can stash away the ballasts. You two have been a big help. I'll try to get some pics up when I get the KIT in there.
Old 11-19-07, 10:34 PM
turbochris
Driver

I bought my kit off ebay for $49.99. It was 25 for shipping and they are perfect.............the company that sells them is called Intense HID here is a link. I bought 2 kits for $150 bucks shipped to my front door. I got the 6000K. All my friends and co-workers are starting to order them because they look really nice.

http://intensehid.com/index.html

thanks
chris w
Old 11-26-07, 04:25 PM
1stgenGSb
Pole Position

thanks for that post...i was thinking of getting HIDs but not anymore....i'm jsut gonna get fogs....strictly for looks....i've got siverstars in mine low and high beams right now, and they look alright

thanks nick
Old 11-26-07, 05:19 PM
Kaiser
Racer

www.mobilehid.com.

Watch the video where he beats the ballast with a hammer and drops it into a tank of water. They are more than $75, but worth it as it comes with harness,relays and warranty.
Old 11-26-07, 09:14 PM
AirForceGS
Driver

I put the 8000k kit in my car on friday. Just driving around with my lights on even in the daytime I get all kind of looks out of people. Visibilty is improved a decent amount. I do need to adjust my projectors though. I didnt notice before but they're not aimed properly. I like the way it looks, really makes it seem like a newer car. Im going to get my fogs in probably tomorrow. I'll post pics later.
Old 11-26-07, 11:11 PM
turbochris
Driver

I put the 8000k kit in my car on friday. Just driving around with my lights on even in the daytime I get all kind of looks out of people. Visibilty is improved a decent amount. I do need to adjust my projectors though. I didnt notice before but they're not aimed properly. I like the way it looks, really makes it seem like a newer car. Im going to get my fogs in probably tomorrow. I'll post pics later.

I just put a set of HID's in my fogs a few days ago to match my headlight HID's..........having them match and having to sets of hid's is like driving in the freakin day at 2am ....lol.

chris w
Old 11-27-07, 12:39 AM
AirForceGS
Driver

Originally Posted by turbochris
I just put a set of HID's in my fogs a few days ago to match my headlight HID's..........having them match and having to sets of hid's is like driving in the freakin day at 2am ....lol.

chris w
I'll be in the same club with you tomorrow hopefully. Did you have to splice wires to get into the connector in the fogs? And what temp are you running? Last question, you have H3 bulbs in the fogs right?
Old 11-27-07, 11:54 PM
turbochris
Driver

I'll be in the same club with you tomorrow hopefully. Did you have to splice wires to get into the connector in the fogs? And what temp are you running? Last question, you have H3 bulbs in the fogs right?

No i have 9006's in there...lol.......6000k. The factory bulb is a H3 but i had a extra 9006 kit so i made it work. I just cut the wires on the plug off the hid kit. Then i used a small zip tie and zipped it to the end of the little arm that holds the H3 bulb in. That way if i ever want to change anything its all still OE as far as the lights go. LOL i say that and then relize i have a tt motor in the car..lol. Oh well they look and work great..

chris w
Old 12-05-07, 03:44 PM
tone4
Rookie

Where are the relays for the lights?

Thannkyou
Old 12-05-07, 05:22 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

What the heck is going on here? Why are these HID's so cheap? Can someone give some feedback on these??
Old 12-05-07, 09:26 PM
AirForceGS
Driver

This is how my lights turned out. I just put my fogs in today.... Damn its Bright!

Last edited by AirForceGS; 12-05-07 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-18-07, 01:10 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

are the lihe link the same ones you guys purchased? they're so cheap.

Quick Reply: HID Kit for $160