GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

What do you think of this dash kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 02:02 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexatlast

As to the carpets, they are not the OEM carpets that come with the car. I bought this used and when I did, the carpets were missing. I simply bought black universal carpets and they are held in place with velcro underneath the carpet and on the floor.(because those universal ones never stay in place). It looks great and everyone thinks they came with the car.
Fa sho. more pix of the carpet ! Im curious what the rest looks like.
Old 12-08-07, 06:49 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are black carpets a general preference? I didn't know people liked that...
Old 12-08-07, 11:14 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my wife a gs430 a few months back with black interior and its so classy. I would like to see what a 1st gen would look like with black interior. Not that I would or would not do it, just curious.
Old 12-09-07, 01:41 AM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not hating it but i think the wood looked more classier in my opinion
Old 12-09-07, 10:30 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

the reason i changed it to the marble wood is because i felt the chestnut? wood or whatever is used didn't look right with the gray interior. The marble wood looks like marble stone and I wanted to keep that feel of a unique texture in the car (like wood). I could've picked a base color like black/green/red or carbon fiber (ick) but i didn't because that would've felt kinda ricey. Anyone with a corolla or something can spray paint their dash a color.

I know its just your opinion insomniac, i'm just explaining my reasoning .
Old 12-10-07, 11:10 PM
reese1788
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash kit

im really feelin the dash kit! it looks real good!! Where did u get it from? i wanna do the same to mine.
Old 12-11-07, 09:50 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Did u remove your old wood trim before putting this 1 on? How about so clearer pic's? plzz with some cheese!
Old 12-11-07, 09:54 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by reese1788
im really feelin the dash kit! it looks real good!! Where did u get it from? i wanna do the same to mine.
Thanks! I got it off ebay at this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWD1V

Originally Posted by LeXusFiTs
Did u remove your old wood trim before putting this 1 on? How about so clearer pic's? plzz with some cheese!
I believe this was made to be an overlay on top of the wood because I took off some of the wood trim to apply these and it didn't seem quite right. Then I overlaid them on top of the wood and it all just seemed to fit better so thats what i did. It covers everything very well, but if you stick your head in there you can see very very small parts of the original wood trim. I'm gonna take care of that problem by using a black filler around the edges of some of these pieces and no one will ever be the wiser .

As to clearer pictures, I can only post pics so large in this forum with the attachment application (i'm not savvy enough to figure out the other ways) so for clearer pics for now, you can go to my cardomain site at:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2804581/1

And for anyone that is still waiting for carpet pics, i'm sorry, it's finals time, and i probably can't get them until after the 21st. so until then
Old 12-12-07, 08:35 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

The marble looks good with the stock radio in their. I wish we could change the hvac control system it looks so old fashion.
Old 12-12-07, 09:20 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

it really does...Its the only thing though that looks outdated on the 1st gens though which is a good thing

You can get the marble overlay for both stock radios (the cd one, and the cd-less one) or you can get one for an aftermarket deck. Thats what I got, I'm just not putting it on until I do my amp bypasses and all that other nonsense that comes with aftermarket in the GS3s...
Old 12-12-07, 10:13 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

I like the marble but the overlay looks terrible IMO..Why throw away $115 when you can spend a little more and get something that looks original and looks like it actually belongs in the car??Look at the pics , the fittament is crap to say the least..If you want the marble, birds eye, walnut look and you want it to look factory and not some stick on crap check this site out..
http://patterntek.com/
They take your old cracked and beat up switch panel and just about anything else and refinish it in just about any pattern you want..I had them redo all my interior wood and they are doing a few more peices and its looks factory..
Old 12-12-07, 10:25 AM
l Black l
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnee78
I like the marble but the overlay looks terrible IMO..Why throw away $115 when you can spend a little more and get something that looks original and looks like it actually belongs in the car??Look at the pics , the fittament is crap to say the least..If you want the marble, birds eye, walnut look and you want it to look factory and not some stick on crap check this site out..
They take your old cracked and beat up switch panel and just about anything else and refinish it in just about any pattern you want..I had them redo all my interior wood and they are doing a few more peices and its looks factory..
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Old 12-12-07, 10:38 AM
sigers98
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great,like that look,did you over lay or remove the originals
Old 12-12-07, 10:50 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnee78
wow, this site is really awesome. They are no joke...
johnee if i knew about this before I would've thought twice before this dash kit for sure. But the fitment isn't bad considering what it is. Obviously when you use their process:

"The pattern itself, whatever the pattern may be (straight-grain wood, marble, snakeskin, burl wood, carbon fiber, or brushed aluminum) is printed on a thin, water-soluble film. We cut a piece of the film that will be big enough to envelope the part in question, then lay the film on the surface of water floating in a specialized current controlled stainless steel tank. An ink release prep chemical is sprayed on the film that dissolves the film, leaving just the ink pattern floating on the surface of the water. Then the part is dipped in the water slowly, and it picks up the pattern, much like an Easter egg and permanantly becomes the surfaces new look. The last few steps include spraying 3 coats of high gloss clear coat on the part to give it depth and shine... after that we wet sand, polish, bubble wrap and mail. When its all said and done, you are left with a part that looks like it came from the factory in a wood grain, carbon fiber, or whatever finish you choose. No appreciable thickness is added to the part. There is no film to peel off. Did you know this is the same process used by the OEM's like Ford, GM and Toyota right now to achieve the wood grain and carbon fiber finishes in their vehicles. In fact, since its the same process we can match pretty much any make and model vehicle interior. "

it'll end up better than an overlay. I was just showing this as an example of changing the dash

I didn't see any quotes on that thing though. Do you have any example prices for when you did yours?
Old 12-12-07, 11:43 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Prices differ because I had other items done besides the stock wood pieces.Your best bet is contact them and they can give a qoute.They are a bit more money than the ebay stuff but ALOT cheaper than buying from the dealership..Make sure to ask for Paul..