GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Updating Gauge cluster LED Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 08:00 PM
JH282
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The regular 74 sockets fit in 6 of 8 spots on the climate control. No dremeling is needed. You'll have to customize the smaller 2 sockets. Just go to a junkyard and get 6 regular 74 sockets.
Old 02-26-08, 02:00 AM
diamondg04
Driver School Candidate

Guys I think I may have found the lights for the HVAC system. Give me your input if you guys think they may work. The leds are at the bottom with the bases, this is the category they fall under Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C.
Old 02-26-08, 02:17 AM
diamondg04
Driver School Candidate

Sorry forgot to post the website LOL. http://autolumination.com/74.htm this place also has good priced leds
Old 02-26-08, 08:27 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by diamondg04
Guys I think I may have found the lights for the HVAC system. Give me your input if you guys think they may work. The leds are at the bottom with the bases, this is the category they fall under Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs Type A, B & C.
Anyone know what type we have? A (8mm= 5/16"), B (10mm= 3/8") or C (12mm= 15/32")?
Old 02-26-08, 09:35 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by diamondg04
good lookin out!! those look exactly like the ones we have...

Originally Posted by LeXusFiTs
Anyone know what type we have? A (8mm= 5/16"), B (10mm= 3/8") or C (12mm= 15/32")?

Well without measuring and just guesstimating, I'd say they were the C type bulb...
Old 02-26-08, 10:23 AM
diamondg04
Driver School Candidate

Well from what JH282 is saying, the bulb for the lcd is smaller than the rest. so i am guessin 6 type A and 1 Type C. I will you guys next week. IN the mean time for those people that have pulled the HVAC system out start a good write-up so we can makes this into a DIY sticky.
Old 02-26-08, 07:11 PM
JH282
Driver School Candidate

Just a heads up, there are 3 different sizes on the HVAC. There are 8 bulbs total, 6 are the same size. There is a smaller size behind the LCD, and a tiny one behind the "outside" button.

***Edit***
Just measured the HVAC bulb bases. Looks like you'll need 6 "C" bulbs an "A" and a "B"

Anyone know what size is on the LCD on the gauge cluster?

Last edited by JH282; 02-26-08 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 03:21 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just hardwired in a bunch of LED's this weekend. Climate control I added a few that werent there, to try and get the light output more even and less splotchy. I did the power switch and the whole shifter sequence.

The pictures suck and dont show that the light is really even thru out the displays. I got white leds but they have a small blueish tint to them

Man was it dirty in there. Lots of sticky crud. Looks like the original owner spilled something down the console. Everything was covered in goo

Heres some more http://picasaweb.google.com/fiveota/LEDs
Old 03-06-08, 12:47 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I love the way those LED's look. You guys are making jealous. The only problem, I don't know how to do these mods.
Old 03-06-08, 12:59 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vipguy
in case some of you STILL need more hand holding..
http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1942

theres a ton of pix there too.. if you still can't figure it out,
maybe you can send me your climate control
and i'll just do it for you for 150 bucks.
wow vip,

i didn't even know about import monster. You've just opened up a whole new world to me lol.

they have the kit for the climate control with the led bulbs we would need, but i'm guessing since its JDM the plugs would be backwards huh...

ah well, that can be changed muahahahaha!

thanks for the info bro, don't think you'll need to hold anyone's hand after that post
Old 03-06-08, 02:23 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
wow vip,

i didn't even know about import monster. You've just opened up a whole new world to me lol.

they have the kit for the climate control with the led bulbs we would need, but i'm guessing since its JDM the plugs would be backwards huh...

ah well, that can be changed muahahahaha!

thanks for the info bro, don't think you'll need to hold anyone's hand after that post
Hey R,

Get moving on your Climate Control, so you can replace the bulbs in mine!
Old 03-09-08, 11:08 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Did anyone have issues with their gas needles after changing the bulbs? After I put my cluster back in my gas gauge went to the top and came back down ...I don't know if it is reading correctly so to be sure I was wondering if it calibrates itself??
Old 03-09-08, 11:15 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Also, it sucks that you can see where the 8 blubs are cause of the splochyness despite using the 3 led bulbs However, overall it still looks better than the original colours.
Old 03-09-08, 02:15 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Did anyone have issues with their gas needles after changing the bulbs? After I put my cluster back in my gas gauge went to the top and came back down ...I don't know if it is reading correctly so to be sure I was wondering if it calibrates itself??
I didn't have that issue...did you make sure to put back in all the screws and make sure your plugs fits correctly?

Also, it sucks that you can see where the 8 blubs are cause of the splochyness despite using the 3 led bulbs However, overall it still looks better than the original colours.
Yeah, its not perfect, but very close. Much better than normal LEDs.
Old 03-15-08, 08:02 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Okay I FINALLY got around to doing my AC unit tonight. If anyone is wondering the leds from http://autolumination.com/74.htm are the right ones.
Order 6 "C" bulbs, 1 "A" and 1 "B" and they work.

I need to get better at taking night shots with lights. They came out more bluish in the pics but in person they are white.

And yes, the Outside button is very bright! lol

Quick Reply: Updating Gauge cluster LED Lights