Automatic to Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 06:31 PM
VaTe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Automatic to Manual

Hey all,

Im close to importing my first JDM Aristo at the moment - and trying to prepare it for the 2008 drift season, obviously automatic isnt that controllable... Yes I know theres some mad ninja skilled dude in the drift forum who does it really well, and I will practice with that and see how I like it - but still showing up to the track in an automatic usually gets laughs

So,

Has anyone here tried to do a 5/6 speed transmission swap into a JZS147? What exactly would be needed in order to complete that. I know the main bits but Ill probably miss a bunch of tiny parts that would normally be overlooked in taking on a project such as this.

Anyone have access to what it takes to make a 2JZGTE a Manual Transmission?

THANKYOU!
VaTe
Old 01-21-08, 08:31 PM
95gs300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VaTe
Hey all,

Im close to importing my first JDM Aristo at the moment - and trying to prepare it for the 2008 drift season, obviously automatic isnt that controllable... Yes I know theres some mad ninja skilled dude in the drift forum who does it really well, and I will practice with that and see how I like it - but still showing up to the track in an automatic usually gets laughs

So,

Has anyone here tried to do a 5/6 speed transmission swap into a JZS147? What exactly would be needed in order to complete that. I know the main bits but Ill probably miss a bunch of tiny parts that would normally be overlooked in taking on a project such as this.

THANKYOU!
VaTe

There is a guy who just made a thread here that did the swap about a month ago I forgot what the thread is called or the guys name.
Old 01-21-08, 08:40 PM
VaTe
Driver School Candidate

Yeah man, I saw that on Ziptied.com as well - awesome build, but its for a 1JZ so I dunno if that would work?
Old 01-21-08, 08:59 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VaTe

So,

THANKYOU!
VaTe
Heres a thread about the 1jz swap. The bolt pattern for the bellhousing is the same on 1j and 2j blocks
Old 01-21-08, 11:02 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

LOL.. ninja skilled.. lets just say "well practiced"

i drift the automatic not out of choice, but necessity. It was my only car for about 4 yrs and i couldnt afford the engineering downtime to make it work. So i just made the best of it.

You can use the v160/161 Getrag 6 spd if you have boatloads of cash

the next best bet is the Soarer 1jz r154 5 speed

then there is always the MK3 7m r154 5 speed with a 1jz bell housing.

Or, since you are importing an Aristo.. just hunt down a swapped car.. many 6speeds are done over there
Old 01-22-08, 01:14 AM
VaTe
Driver School Candidate

Well those are still really hard to find, it looks like the car Im bringing in will have a full set of dished wheels and coilovers, so hopefully thatll go nicely - but Ill still need to make it 5speed, auto isnt very fun for drifting - I have experience drifting 5speed :P
Old 01-22-08, 03:58 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

yes, i have extensive experience in both manual and auto trans drifting and initiation with the manual is much simpler. Altho I do have to say that the GTE auto trans can take a hell of a beating.. manual downshifting for a clutch kick effect..etc..

i cant blame you for doing it straight out.

best of luck
Old 01-22-08, 10:38 AM
VaTe
Driver School Candidate

Heh thanks, seriously if the car already has a ton of power - and a trans swap is the only thing I have to do in order to make it even more incredible than I guess its easy enough.